Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BMW Boss Is Encouraging You To Keep Your Older Cars Instead Of Buying New

Saw this link online from Microsoft Start,.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...f1edd260a8e9f3
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

new car prices are encouraging me to keep my older cars instead of buying new.

I want them to release a single-DIN head unit with apple carplay and an upgraded pre-amp like Porsche did for their classic cars.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    I want them to release a single-DIN head unit with apple carplay and an upgraded pre-amp like Porsche did for their classic cars.
    CarPlay would be pretty useless on a screen that would fit a single DIN unit. It's too small.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    CarPlay would be pretty useless on a screen that would fit a single DIN unit. It's too small.

No it wouldn't.

BMW released a GPS for the e38 that had like 500 pixels. The premise isn't incorrect. You don't need a screen the size of an average 80s TV for car needs. The argument could be made the opposite is true: a large screen is a negative.

No it wouldn't.

BMW released a GPS for the e38 that had like 500 pixels. The premise isn't incorrect. You don't need a screen the size of an average 80s TV for car needs. The argument could be made the opposite is true: a large screen is a negative.
    I still don't think a tiny screen is an appropriate use case for CarPlay. There are technical limitations at play.

All of the the available E38 navigation systems are double DIN as far as I can recall (send a pic if you find a single DIN). Those interfaces also weren't designed around something that requires higher resolution, such as CarPlay. I believe the lowest resolution Apple themselves suggest developers test for is 800x480 when developing for CarPlay.

The early BMW systems used a custom UI designed around the small amount of pixels, which is why those worked. But even then, they're still double DIN.

With regards to modern systems designed for higher resolution environments, a small screen means it's hard to read while the vehicle is in motion, which in turn is a safety issue. While it would be nice to claim "I don't make changes while driving", I don't think that is really 100% true for anybody. Even someone who mostly "sets it and forgets it", at that point a screen doesn't really provide any value. Using your phone connected to Bluetooth makes way more sense in this case.

Speaking of phones, The argument "people use phones all the time" may still stand, but today's phones have bigger screens than you can fit on a single-DIN unit, the sizing if which is what we were originally discussing.

I guess I'm just not seeing any positives to such a small screen to a system as advanced as CarPlay. The double DIN size seems to suit this application perfectly. What are your thoughts on these points?

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I don't care about all that crap. You're driving a car, not working on a spreadsheet. I similarly disagree with how big phones have gotten and I'm using and hoarding original iPhone SEs.

All you need is simple onscreen cues. The only thing I would want is seamless integration between the phone and the car unit. Phones are better touch-input devices than built in screens in cars simply because of the ergonomics.

Does this go against what the car industry is doing? For the most part yes. Do I care/does it matter? No.

Here is Porsche's solution that I find very elegant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553l5ZrkyYU

I'm with you. Unfortunately people like you or I will never get what we want, because the industry revolves around what the majority wants with little room for anyone who thinks differently. I try to stay out of other people's business, but this is why I care so much what everyone else buys; their purchasing decisions unfortunately affect me. I hate that everyone's buying SUVs, big phones, automatic transmissions, and electric cars, and eventually I'll be forced to buy the same because I won't have any other options in the future. Sad state of affairs that options are going out the window...

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I'm with you. Unfortunately people like you or I will never get what we want, because the industry revolves around what the majority wants with little room for anyone who thinks differently. I try to stay out of other people's business, but this is why I care so much what everyone else buys; their purchasing decisions unfortunately affect me. I hate that everyone's buying SUVs, big phones, automatic transmissions, and electric cars, and eventually I'll be forced to buy the same because I won't have any other options in the future. Sad state of affairs that options are going out the window...

Who's forcing you though, really?

Who's forcing you though, really?
    With regards to cars -
    When my E46's are no longer viable, anything else I'd want to purchase to replace them by then would be unattainable (hell, some of those cars are unattainable now). How many manual, non-electric cars do you think will be attainable or even available in 10-20 years? Wagons, you can even forget about. What options would I be left with? You guessed it, automatic electric SUVs or trucks, all the stuff I don't want. This may not happen overnight, but by the time I need to find something else that makes sense, things will be a lot more difficult.

So, who's forcing me? You tell me.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast