Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Well... I am fairly certain that is the front spring rate, but I am going from memory. will verify when I have the wheels off this weekend. the spring set is actually a GC kit for an M3. at one point I was using the entire GC kit (less the rear sway bar), I bought it on craigslist for $300. have since replaced the konis and plates.

Until I switched over to vorschlag camber plates and got to the ~ -3 deg camber up front the front would push, but the camber change and 265 tires dramatically changed that condition.

I plan to run the Dixie tour event in march at south Georgia motorsport park. everything else is just to far away.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Well... I am fairly certain that is the front spring rate, but I am going from memory. will verify when I have the wheels off this weekend. the spring set is actually a GC kit for an M3. at one point I was using the entire GC kit (less the rear sway bar), I bought it on craigslist for $300. have since replaced the konis and plates.

Until I switched over to vorschlag camber plates and got to the ~ -3 deg camber up front the front would push, but the camber change and 265 tires dramatically changed that condition.

I plan to run the Dixie tour event in march at south Georgia motorsport park. everything else is just to far away.

thanks!
    It's almost like those spring rates are reversed. Taking into effect motion ratios you have a ton of wheel spring rate up front and even less in the rear.

You need to figure out how to get 9" wheels up front. I'm surprised you're running 265s actually.

Gotcha, first national event? It'll be a fun time. Gotta hook up with Randall Prince. He drives an E36 in STX

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Cool thread and build. Big fan of the sunroof delete.

Agree the front rates seem high proportional to your rears. I would guess you'll have a hard time getting much rotation given the combined roll resistance you have in the front with the bar.

One other thing I'd highly recommend would be some form of exhaust, primarily for weight savings. the stocker is incredibly heavy and even if you go with a crude straight pipe with resonator you'll save a lot of weight for not much expense.

Same goes with the seats in regards to weight. The stockers are ridiculous and I saved about 45lbs each side by swapping them out. Less ideal if you put a lot of miles on the car daily driving it, but worth looking into for sure if you get serious about it and want to compete nationally.

--B

Great thread and nice work. Would love to see some additional photos of both your hitch and custom hitch rack. Did you go with one of the European hitch systems?

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by bcleaver View Post
    Cool thread and build. Big fan of the sunroof delete.

Agree the front rates seem high proportional to your rears. I would guess you'll have a hard time getting much rotation given the combined roll resistance you have in the front with the bar.

One other thing I'd highly recommend would be some form of exhaust, primarily for weight savings. the stocker is incredibly heavy and even if you go with a crude straight pipe with resonator you'll save a lot of weight for not much expense.

Same goes with the seats in regards to weight. The stockers are ridiculous and I saved about 45lbs each side by swapping them out. Less ideal if you put a lot of miles on the car daily driving it, but worth looking into for sure if you get serious about it and want to compete nationally.

--B
    Same thing I'm thinking with the spring rates.

If you can deal with a dump pipe after the 1st resonator or something you'll save cost of running a pipe back, and weight.

Also 100% on seats. I shaved 39lbs per side over my OEM, Manual Seats...aka the lightest OEM seats offered from factory. If you have power seats easily 45+ lbs can be saved. I like them though more than my OEM and had no issues driving out to Lincoln, NE sitting in them 13 hours.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Name:  aIMG_1626_zps46a7e07c.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  aIMG_1625_zps71a59fc0.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  133.0 KB

Brett, a couple more pics of the rack I made. I have had 3 SSRs with 265 tires on it. typically I only put 2 on it (other two tires in the trunk). small bar on the bottom doenst touch the tire but it is useful for putting boxes/suitcase...

So, here is a lap from last weekend. it was my first time out since adding the rear adjustable lower control arm. wow, what a difference. I ran ~3 deg of neg camber out back. as you can see, the rear never budged, I had previously had a lot of trouble with it getting loose under braking. this event was also the first event I have left foot braked. was a good test weekend, there is a lot more speed out there once I get to trusting the new found rear grip and get better gaging the needed braking with the left foot...

I am still trying to figure out what exactly my front spring rate is. the markings are gone. they are certainly 6" in free length.

I did make a crude estimate while I had the sway bar free. I figure there is between 850-950 lbs on either front wheel with the car balanced and on the ground. so with the tire off (and sway bar disconnected) using a floor jack I loaded one front tire. spring compressed 1.75". so that roughly translate to a spring rate of 500 lbs/in. which makes since considering the rears that came with the M3 GC kit are 550. (they are clearly marked)

I did the oil pan gasket this week. it had given up quite a while ago. sludge all over the bottom of the engine/trans. at the same time I went ahead and did lower control arms (meyle hd) and Z4M bushings. also did motor moutns and since an alignment would be required I went ahead and pressed out the RTABs in favor of the black polys.

in case anyone is wondering.... I have an old set of std 330i a-arms, meyles and zhps in one place at one time... what a photo op. my observation is that std and zhp the only difference is the ball joints.

Name:  aIMG_1648_zpseed57acc.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  104.7 KB

here is a pic at the alignment shop.

Name:  aIMG_1655_zpsf1dae852.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  77.3 KB

I will be marking my rear lower control arms and front rack end links with the enamel so that I can freely change for autox, then revert back to daily use...

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    next event will be with my local group, buccaneer region at Amelia island FL on the 22nd. then off to the tour event in march... wish I had more seat time before then. the STX crowd registered so far is 70% BRZ/Frs....

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast