Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Transmission repair

Took my 06 ZHP to Helix motorsports for rattle that went away with the clutch engaged. We all diagnosed it as the throw out bearing, obviously... we thought... well I just get a call today that with the trans out they noticed that the noise may have not been from the throw out bearing but
    Uneven wear on the release bearing guide tube. Radial play in the input shaft, rocking up and down but not front and back....

Question is. How much should I be paying for a repaired / rebuilt transmission if this is what I need to do as apposed to replacing the trans.

Any info would help as I want to have some knowledge before I go there tomorrow and they start throwing numbers at me..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dubfreaks; 05-16-2018 at 06:02 AM.

The best transmission shop I have worked with for a bmw was cobra transmission. They would be the only shop I have my box(s) repaired at.

I know of a pin issue on a 5 speed that is a diy not tracking “ loose guides” on a 6 speed.

A brand new box is over 3-6 k. Ouch.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

how bad is the noise?

i ask, because.... every ZHP 6-speed i've driven has rattled to some degree or another - ZF or getrag (which is weird, that both would sound the same).
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    how bad is the noise?

i ask, because.... every ZHP 6-speed i've driven has rattled to some degree or another - ZF or getrag (which is weird, that both would sound the same).
    Uneven wear on the release bearing guide tube. Radial play in the input shaft, rocking up and down but not front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by dubfreaks View Post
    Uneven wear on the release bearing guide tube. Radial play in the input shaft, rocking up and down but not front and back.

ahh, gotcha. bummer. i imagine a used trans will be less than a rebuild.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I have the rattle at idle with the clutch out, pressed in the rattle goes away. I had the flywheel, clutch, and throwout bearing changed out and still had the same exact sound. I had that stuff replaced around 110,000 miles, 100,000 miles later same amount of noise and drives perfectly still. I wouldn't have done all of that had I known what I know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    I have the rattle at idle with the clutch out, pressed in the rattle goes away. I had the flywheel, clutch, and throwout bearing changed out and still had the same exact sound. I had that stuff replaced around 110,000 miles, 100,000 miles later same amount of noise and drives perfectly still. I wouldn't have done all of that had I known what I know now.
    I remember when you had that done, how many miles do you have on the ZHP now??
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    I remember when you had that done, how many miles do you have on the ZHP now??
    Just crossed 210,000 about a week ago, these a very reliable cars.