Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

power steering hoses/reservoir 3rd party brands

So my power steering reservoir has a leak so it's on my list of things to do soon. As somebody pointed out on this forum before (I found it in the search a week ago, maybe a few years old), I'm not too concerned about going OEM on this since if the power steering 100% fails my car will still work until I get a fix. So I'm looking at ECS parts.

My question is, is one brand better than the other?

Reservoir (32411097164):
    BMW: $48.66
    ZF: 28.95 (same ZF that makes transmissions?)
    URO: 15.95

Hose #1 (32416750155):
    BMW: $41.47
    CRP: 26.95
    URO: 18.95

Hose #2 (32411095526)
    BMW: $31.89
    CRP: 19.95
    MTC: 11.59

I was just going to go w/ the middle ground, CRP (hopefully that doesn't stand for "crap"!) for the hoses and ZF on the reservoir.

Middle ground is a total of $75.85 vs going OEM at $122.02. (Plus I gotta pay somebody to put it on because apparently the clamps on the hoses use a specially designed tool?)

thoughts/comments/experiences?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

I replaced them and the reservoir, along with a high pressure hose. No special tool needed to remove just a pair of pliers and flat head screwdriver. I would not use the same band clamps for reinstall. I would upgrade to some t-bolt hose clamps. Much better seal and can always adjust much easier. I forget what oem brand clamps are. I bought all my stuff from pelican parts. I made a thread about all this over Christmas if you want to look back at it. Hope it helps. Lmk if u have any questions.

Sent from Outerspace using iphone 13

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTater View Post
    I replaced them and the reservoir, along with a high pressure hose. No special tool needed to remove just a pair of pliers and flat head screwdriver. I would not use the same band clamps for reinstall. I would upgrade to some t-bolt hose clamps. Much better seal and can always adjust much easier. I forget what oem brand clamps are. I bought all my stuff from pelican parts. I made a thread about all this over Christmas if you want to look back at it. Hope it helps. Lmk if u have any questions.
    Sent from Outerspace using iphone 13
    +1. Can def. do this yourself, but switch to a decent hose clamp, not the band clamp ones that they came with originally. T-bolt hose clamps are awesome (if a bit costly), and are IMHO a bit overkill for the power steering fluid pressure, but again, awesome if you want to spend the $$$. Second to that is the more common hose clamps that have a hex head/screw to tighten down. The better ones of these (and what is factory in other areas of our cars) are when the ridges for the screw to catch to tighten are NOT cut entirely through the clamp band. Those cheap ones can actually chew into your new hoses, so if you have the ability avoid that cheap style.

You may check to be sure that the hose is not just leaking at the reservoir as that happens on occasion too, and you may be able to fix with a new good quality hose clamp. ZF looks like the same ZF that builds our transmissions. Personally no experience with their reservoir. That said, the reservoir in our cars have a built-in filter, so be sure that whatever reservoir you get has this feature too, if you do end up replacing it.

-Brettski

Any idea what size hex screw clamp to buy and where to find it? Been looking around and can't be too sure what size to get

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

You can buy hose clamps at any parts store....not sure what size I just brought the originals with me and compared them..(I had a spare car) but you could definitely bring your new hoses with you to match up the right size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviving an old thread here with a related question about PS hoses.

What is the recommendation for the high pressure PS hoses, BMW, Rein, other? I've got a power steering leak from the looped high pressure PS hose for sure: the power steering feed line for a LF-20 pump (part #32416774215). The Genuine BMW part is $268 at FCP, the Rein version at ECS is $97. Any experience with either of these?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-32416774215-1
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rein-par...416774215~ren/

The PS reservoir and hoses are not leaking at first look but I'll probably just replace anyway while I'm in there.

Rein is the way to go from fcpeuro.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting thing is that FCP only lists the Genuine BMW option for this part and does not offer the Rein. Not sure why. I'll contact them tomorrow and ask. ECS lists the Rein for $97, and also offers the Genuine BMW for $227 ($40 cheaper than FCP).

If folks have used the Rein without issue for this part than I'm good with that. If the Rein fails after a year or so while the BMW lasts longer I'll go with the BMW.

I've bought a lot of parts from both suppliers, though lately have been purchasing more from FCP.

I bought the Rein hose from some supplier on eBay. No problems so far after roughly 6k miles
    -Corey

2003 Blue ZHP Sedan @ 210k
    Dead due to damaged valve. Parts are being transferred to a wagon:

2003 325iT Japanrot 6MT @ 230k

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Interesting thing is that FCP only lists the Genuine BMW option for this part and does not offer the Rein. Not sure why. I'll contact them tomorrow and ask. ECS lists the Rein for $97, and also offers the Genuine BMW for $227 ($40 cheaper than FCP).

If folks have used the Rein without issue for this part than I'm good with that. If the Rein fails after a year or so while the BMW lasts longer I'll go with the BMW.

I've bought a lot of parts from both suppliers, though lately have been purchasing more from FCP.
    I had asked the same question and FCP Euro informed me that there was fitment and quality issues on that hose. So they pulled it from the website and only offer the Genuine BMW part currently.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast