Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In the market for tools

Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for some tools. When I was younger I would tinker with the 'merican cars that my family had (eg oil and mid level maint. type tasks). All of my father's tools went with him when he retired, and when I was living in an apartment with a car that I didn't care about not having tools wasn't an issue. Now that I have an not-special car I want to get back into working on it (and with all of the guides and DIYs here I should be able to).

As such, I look to you masters of the wrench to throw some recommendations at me for what the basics are that I would need in order to sucessfully take on projects especially oil, VANOS, brakes, and window regulators. I'll eventually need to be brave enough to pull the interior apart when the wrinkles on the A pillar get bad enough and to fix the sub rattle\repaint the rear deck.

I know that I'll need a set of metric sockets. What's the range that I should need? I recently stole a jack and stands from my father so those are taken care of.

I use the Kobolt series from Lowes. No haggle lifetime guarantee.

Get a metric 1/4" set, and a 3/8" set. Extensions (3" and 6"), sockets, and ratchets. Get a set of screw drivers. Get the oil filter socket, and a set of torx wrenches, plus Allen wrenches.

I would go with Kobolt, Snap-on, or Craftsman.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tools

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

+1 just don't cheap out on tools if you can. Buy once cause they'll last you a lifetime
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Also, last months Car and Driver had an article on starting a general mechanics tool set.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I once heard a very valuable quote about tools... "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools"... If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense, and its true.

That being said, don't waste your money on the really high dollar stuff like Snap-On and Mac. Those are great if you want to be the cool kid around, but they're hard to find. I have Craftsman for all my hand tools, easily available at any Sears and a lifetime replacement guarantee. Or you can go with Kobalt as DW said, same deal... For me, Sears is closer than Lowe's... But I digress..

Torque wrenches are great because properly torquing bolts is very important, and sometimes people skip that step. Not a wise move. I take the time to torque stuff, even lug nuts. Why people wouldn't torque those is beyond me...

A variety of sockets, 1/4" and 3/8" drive are best for carsn(interior and engine work). You will at times enjoy having a 1/2" drive set (suspension work), so I would get those too if budget allows. I have standard and metric, but really, you don't need them. Also, I would try and buy 12 point sockets instead of 6 as they're a little more flexible. And like others mentioned, extensions, adapter sockets, maybe a couple universal joints, and a breaker bar wouldn't hurt either. Cars typically have a lot of tight spaces, so the adapters and universals do come in handy.

Inspection mirror, magnet on a pole... Those are must haves... In addition, I have a set of dental picks and stuff like that (I call it my pokey tools drawer). Those are great for doing gaskets, removing o-rings, and picking grime out of small places...

Heck, I could write forever.. I should just go take a picture of all the drawers in my roll away...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Thanks for the responses. I was driving by a Lowe's and found a few sets by Kobalt that look like they'll work for me. The only follow up that I have is if getting the deep sockets is worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I was driving by a Lowe's and found a few sets by Kobalt that look like they'll work for me. The only follow up that I have is if getting the deep sockets is worth the extra money?
    Yeah...I use the deepies every now and then. Definitely a weapon you want in your arsenal.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

When you need a shallow socket, a deep one will work... When you need a deep socket, shallow sockets will leave you up shit's creek without a paddle!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Tight spaces sometimes require shallow sockets. Id get both prtsobally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris-

This could be another option. I may pick up a set because I'm beginning to build my own tool set as well.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-30pc-...6&blockType=G6

These would replace deep sockets except for places where the screw is down in a hole.
    -Chris-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast