Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Throttle body cleaner vs MAF cleaner

Hey guys,

The throttle body and MAF are a part of the same airflow system. I know that technically each of these components require a specific cleaner. However, I'm wondering if I can just use one for both? I already have a throttle body cleaner (by CRC) so I wanted to see I can use to clean the MAF.

Thoughts?
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German

I think you should be fine with either.
    In the market for an E90 M3

I use whatever I have lying around. My last MAF went 200k miles. If you have a chance, buy the MAF cleaner. If you have the TB cleaner, spray away and live your life.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Thanks guys, I suspected that it's not as big of a deal but wasn't sure

It's actually for my VW Eurovan, as the poor old thing has 155k on it and it started throwing me MAF error codes so I figure I'd give it a clean before I drop a hunny on a new MAF. Long live the surfer van!
    Call me Giya (sounds just like Karmann Ghia) | '05 ZHP Coupé AT - Sparkling Graphite Metallic | Project thread

Have you ever posted pics of the VW? I love those things. My boys have a friend who is rebuilding one now.

I've used throttle body cleaner and didn't think twice. I'm slightly curious what the difference is with MAF cleaner but not curious enough to buy any.
    ~Will
    2004 Imola Red 330i
    6MT, Black Leather, Silver Cube, Cold Weather pkg, mostly Stock

Yeah, post number: 490

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ghlight=surfer

It's not one of those oldschool VW buses. They look super retro-cool but I couldn't bare dealing with such an a old vehicle.

Mine is a 2001 Eurovan GLS. It's SO incredibly useful that I can't seem to let go of it. On top of that, it has a proper VR6 motor in it so at 200hp, it hauls the mail like a champ. I used to use it for motorcycle racing. The thing would fit my race bike and all of my paddock gear, tables, spares, tools, etc. When at the track, I'd have my paddock set up and sleep in the van. Not bad for a daily driver. I've moved myself and my friends with it a few times without having to rent a hauler. At this point, the thought of not having it is unbearable. So I'm determined to keep it alive as long as I can. At 155k it still doesn't burn any oil. The weakest point on these things is the auto tranny but I baby it with frequent AT oil changes so it's hanging in there. Part of the reason I got the ZHP is because I wanted to limit the miles on the van and frankly it's not the most comfortable for long commutes. So now it's a short-range surfer van

Here's another shot to give you an idea

Name:  IMG00082-20100903-1733.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  509.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
    Here's another shot to give you an idea

Name:  IMG00082-20100903-1733.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  509.4 KB
    That picture is AWESOME!
    In the market for an E90 M3

Autozone.com
    My theory is that MAF cleaner is more delicate/gentile than normal TB or carb cleaner, because a MAF has an electronic sensor that needs to be cleaned, while TBs and carbs just have moving parts that need to be cleaned. (Some might also have little electric motors inside.) If correct, then safe to use MAF cleaner on TBs or carbs but not necessarily safe to use carb cleaner on MAFs. But to be sure, read and compare the ingredients.

CRC MAF cleaner: petroleum distillates, possibly alcohol, CO2 propellant
    MSDS says: Hexane, n-hexane, CO2, and COzol 204 (proprietary compound)

CRC TB/intake cleaner: Acetone base with other goodies, CO2 propellant
    MSDS says: Acetone, toluene, heptane, diacetone alcohol, CO2, but mostly acetone

The Gunk MAF cleaner MSDS suggests it's all n-heptane and other sweetened liquified petroleum gases. I wonder which is more effective at cleaning MAFs, a spray that is mostly n-heptane or one that is mostly hexane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast