Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Door Moulding Trim ("rain gutter") Clips Broken

A few of the bone colored clips on the glossy black moulding trim on each of my left/right door frames have been damaged. The clips on the door frame itself seem fine.

#13 in:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=51&fg=20

It seems my version, the plastic glossy black (GLANZSCHWARZ), Part #'s: 51132695281 & 51132695282, cost only $416 EACH from here. I have seen other places as low as $416 shipped for both at bmwpartsupply.com. Well, $416 for a few broken clips that only affect the rear door's opening and closing (which can be handled by simple maneuvers if need be) seems a bit unreasonable.

A mechanic told me I could probably silicone glue it as a first try. I did... it held for a while, but after a couple months, popped off again on about the 10th opening of the rear door. The rubber seal on the door really "sucks" on that trim unfortunately. Good thing the silicone doesn't damage the car at all.

I am reluctant to use permanent glue like gorilla glue, I just feel like thats a bad solution, just in case the moulding cracks someday and I have to remove it all anyways. Another solution I was thinking of was getting some alternative interlocking plastic clips, if they exist, at like a Home Depot and gorilla glue them onto the moulding and frame and then clip them on... would just need 3 on each side I think.

My easiest next step is to try more silicone gel, which I already have here... last time I think I put just enough for all the contact areas, but maybe fill up the whole gap as much as possible? I held it tight with blue tape before for over a couple of days... maybe I'll try leaving it on for a few days.

Any thoughts short of the $400 solution is appreciated.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

I had this idea of using velcro. Use adhesived velcro and tape a side onto the trim and the other onto the car.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    I had this idea of using velcro. Use adhesived velcro and tape a side onto the trim and the other onto the car.
    I thought about that too, except some parts of the gap are too far apart for the thin velcro tape to reach... to make it tight and flush seems like a bit of an engineering problem... if the trim is not near 100% tight, it will move or make sounds and eventually get looser and looser with every door opening I would say. Now maybe combining a couple strips of velcro on the tighter fit areas and fill silicone in the rest... a hybrid solution maybe?
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Reviving this from the depths because I’m dealing with the same problem. The previous owner seemed to have put silicon glue to hold the trim in place but it’s not doing a great job currently and I have to shut the door twice for it to close properly. Anybody have updated solutions? I was recommended jb weld

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

I used some short pieces of butyl rope caulk on the piece by the C-pillar. I'd recommend to heat it up a bit or wait for temps to warm up!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I used some short pieces of butyl rope caulk on the piece by the C-pillar. I'd recommend to heat it up a bit or wait for temps to warm up!
    thanks, the current setup definitely works better when its warm out. Have you had issues with colder temps?

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    thanks, the current setup definitely works better when its warm out. Have you had issues with colder temps?
    No, and we've had some cold this winter.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

The guy I bought the car from drilled holes in the door channel, filled the holes with silicone, then ran screws to hold it in.

I'm not super excited about it, but it works and you only see the screws when the door's open and you're looking for them

The PO of my car glued it or something because it keeps catching on the rear door and making a snap noise when the door is opened. And its scratching the paint grrr

I looked up that trim price myself and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Then when I was in the junkyard last week, I pried the good clips off a chrome trim strip on a car that was there. I'm going to glue the clips to my trim with E6000 or JB weld and then reinstall the correct way. I would recommend visiting a junkyard and prying some good clips off old trim. Definitely beats $416.
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 111k
    '98 740il | Schwartz 2 | Sandbeige | 5AT | 238k | lowered on Bilsteins w/ B&G springs
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 120k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 215k | one owner, all original

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    The PO of my car glued it or something because it keeps catching on the rear door and making a snap noise when the door is opened. And its scratching the paint grrr

I looked up that trim price myself and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Then when I was in the junkyard last week, I pried the good clips off a chrome trim strip on a car that was there. I'm going to glue the clips to my trim with E6000 or JB weld and then reinstall the correct way. I would recommend visiting a junkyard and prying some good clips off old trim. Definitely beats $416.
    Ooo very interesting idea. I might have to try this because mine is doing the same thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast