Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

GotZHP's E46 330i ZHP Maintenance & Build Thread w/ Pics & DIYS

BMW's oil is full synthetic. If it was half conventional, it would need to be changed every 5k

Use of blends or strait conventional is not recommend
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    lol Well I guess it's just burning then. You're still using BMW's oil which is a half synthetic blend. I would try switching to a fully synthetic oil. But it could be leaking and then just burning off. Like on the VCG near the back of the engine. It'll fall on the headers/exhaust and just burn off. How many miles are on the car now? I'd try a 5w-30 GC for a higher mileage car.
    Car is somewhere around 122,xxx now

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    BMW's oil is full synthetic. If it was half conventional, it would need to be changed every 5k

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...30-engine-oil/

This is what i use for oil. Was the 5W30 up until a few weeks ago but BMW has changed what is recommended for the e46. LOL at the price. I pay $7.40 a quart at the Irvine BMW because I got the hook up! The guy in line in front of me paid $12 dollars for the same oil lol Sucker!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post

No it's not. They are able to call it fully synthetic only because they restructure/refine the crude oil to make it a synthetic base and then add some synthetic additives for more protection and longer life. It's a group III oil. It's not really half synthetic, but it's not full synthetic either.

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    Car is somewhere around 122,xxx now
    Yeah that's not too bad. Maybe try some BC (used to be German Castrol, but now it's made in Belgium) 0w-30 first and see. Although I would do your VCG and whatever seals and stuff you may be missing as well as the oil sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    No it's not. They are able to call it fully synthetic only because they restructure/refine the crude oil to make it a synthetic base and then add some synthetic additives for more protection and longer life. It's a group III oil. It's not really half synthetic, but it's not full synthetic either.

Yeah that's not too bad. Maybe try some BC (used to be German Castrol, but now it's made in Belgium) 0w-30 first and see. Although I would do your VCG and whatever seals and stuff you may be missing as well as the oil sensor.
    My plan was Vanos & VCG at thanksgiving but then our plans changed and we are going up the coast to a sick mansion on the beach! I'll be sure to post a few pics. Most likely will be nursing beers instead of the Bimmer.

What is odd, is the oil consumption has slowed down the past few days and i even drove 120 miles last night at 80 to 90mph with minimal consumption. Traffic out here is terrible, but when it breaks and the highways are open, man do people haul ass. I was keeping pace at 85pmh at one point when some AMG of some sort went by going about 115 i bet. Crazy people.

I'll be checking the car again tomorrow to get a reading as it hasn't moved all day and the engine oil is cold. Will be doing some items to the GFs car this weekend, so most likely will make a run to a parts store in my car.

Man, you know life is too busy when you don't have a few minutes to update your own project thread! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know I did. Did not do a single car project but caught up on massive amounts of sleep and gained back some of the 10lbs i've lost since starting my new job

Anyways, I do have some updates! Good news, Bad news time....

Good news is I have found a hood!!!! Woohoo. Finally after 2 months with out one, I have found the replacement. It is a black hood which is going to remain black for now. Paint is in great shape and so is the condition of the metal. There may be one ding, but a guy at work does PDR on the side. I will eventually sand blast it at my work and get it painted to match the car, but for now, it will remain black. It is coming from a 2003 325i and for $200 dollars, its perfect! Will outfit with new hardware, a new safety latch, and new openers / ejectors (what ever the springy things are called). hood will be installed Friday on my way home, then off to the DMV to get it registered.

Bad news, more SES light codes. I am now throwing a P0461 which relates to the fuel level sensor? i did just replace the fuel filter so it may be time to do this sensor. Other bad news is I am still struggling with the post cat O2 sensors, and the car is going to be due for smog in a month or two. In the state of California, you cannot pass smog if you have [U]ANY[U] engine codes, regardless if they are emissions related or not.

Going to have a few solid weekends of projects coming up, especially in December when the GF is in France. Tie rods, Fuel level sensor, Oil change & oil level sensor, clear corner lights, and the O2pilotmod are on the list at the moment, and I am sure it will grow to be longer by the time I get half that done. Such is life owning a neglected e46.

Kind of been a lull in work on my car. I have been working on a few other cars and have done a break job on a Z3, fixed the upper engine mount in a Nissan Maxima, and now I am going to help a guy at work fix the front end of his 2004 Z4. I will hopefully have more updates and photos to come as get some more work done on the ZHP.

Tomorrow will be the last day rolling around like this....

Name:  HDLS.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  360.1 KB

Finally

This will be my new my hood!

Name:  New Hood 2.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  311.9 KBName:  New Hood.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  310.7 KB

The pictures are not the greatest because the sun was setting but the hood is in very good condition. The guy is including the hardware which means I will have a handful of items to return. Does not come with grills but I have already purchased new ones. There are few rock chips on the front near the grills, but nothing beyond what would be considered consistent for a 13 year old car. It really really needs a wash and so does the rest of my car. Can't wait to wash and wax her again. And for Christmas, The ZHPs present will be an engine detailing overhaul. It has gotten quite dirty over the past handful of weeks.

nice update. glad you finally got that hood. since you didn't update your thread for awhile, i got bored and started doing the stuff i procrastinated on doing lol

looks like a whole car again!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Cool. Any plans to paint the new hood ?

Page 48 of 56 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast