Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backup Camera not displaying

ZHP:

I purchased an AVIN4 BMW headunit. I have installed a front camera (Avin product) works perfectly. Backup camera (Avin product) will not display image.

I purchased the wireless transmitter/receiver ... both illuminate but no image. I tried with just the cable/wire ... still no image.

Here is the setup

1. Factory setting "Prohibit Reverse" enabled
    2. Wireless transmitter connected to reverse positive (blue yellow wire) and reverse negative (brown wire); plugged into backup camera and connected to the "Red" and "Yellow" RCAs that bridge between the backup camera and the wireless transmitter; since it is illuminated when vehicle is placed in reverse, I conclude all is appropriate
    3. Wireless receiver "blue" wire connected to "pink" "Brake-IN" wire and "red" wire connected to "orange" "Reverse-In" (Note: me vehicle does not have a wire labeled "Camera +12V" as shown AVIN instructions; after conversing via chat with AVIN they state the I should use "Reverse-IN" for power; interestingly, they had me disconnect the "blue wire" to see if the image would display... it did not.

4. Using the wire/cable ... I plugged in the backup camera lead to cable that runs to the headunit; connected the backup camera "black" ground wire to ground and the "red" wire to reverse positive wire (blue/yellow); at the headunit, i plug in the RCA "yellow" cable to the "Rear Camera In" RCA; note AVIN told me to ignore the "red" wire which branches off the "yellow" RCA; I tried connecting the "red" wire to the "orange" "Reverse-In" ... no image displayed with or without the "red" wire connected

To further troubleshoot ... I though possibly the backup camera is not receiving a steady 12+, so I connected a wire from the battery directly tyo the backup camera ... same result ... no image

I am at a loss of what to do. The Avin customer service sent me two additional backup cameras ... same result no image.

Any suggestions ...

Does the camera work directly connected to another display monitor? Like say a TV with composite?

Sounds like it's your head unit though. You already got new cameras, bypassed the wireless transmitter, and it still doesn't work. So if all of those 3 camera are bad, which is highly improbable at this point, but still possible. It's gotta be the head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Does the camera work directly connected to another display monitor? Like say a TV with composite?

Sounds like it's your head unit though. You already got new cameras, bypassed the wireless transmitter, and it still doesn't work. So if all of those 3 camera are bad, which is highly improbable at this point, but still possible. It's gotta be the head unit.

Would describe how I could test that camera without connected to the headunit? (I am inexperienced at this)

I asked that AVIN bench test the backup camera prior to sending it. Yes, I concur, the likelihood of two additional backup cameras failing is remote.

At least for now, I reach the same conclusion ... problem with the headunit. I emailed AVIN customer support with the latest results. AVIN appears to have become irritated with me because of my numerous questions ... they prevented me from accessing the Chat function and documents they provide to customers.

Pretty much the same way you as you would connecting it directly to the headunit.

You would power the camera and the reverse wire with a 12v source. Then connect the RCAs to their respective composite inputs (yellow to yellow).

Lol I can see that. Since you seem to make a new thread every new problem here. When really you could just continue updating the first thread with problems. I feel like the mods should merge your threads together.

Pretty much the same way you as you would connecting it directly to the headunit.

You would power the camera and the reverse wire with a 12v source. Then connect the RCAs to their respective composite inputs (yellow to yellow).

Lol I can see that. Since you seem to make a new thread every new problem here. When really you could just continue updating the first thread with problems. I feel like the mods should merge your threads together.

I swapped the front camera RCA (male) to the "Rear Camera-In" RCA (female) on the headunit ... no video output just a "yellow triangle". I spoke with a Crutchfield technical rep and he stated that a "no image displayed" from a swap would not be conclusive since AVIN's headunit configuration is unknown.

I tested both rear cameras with a TV and a car battery ... result "no image" displayed. I have some concern that the battery may not be holding a full charge. So I will try the test again tomorrow with a different car battery.

I used a different car battery ... same result ... no image displayed on the TV. I tested the RCA cable is used between the TV and the rear camera with an analog multimeter ... it tests good continuity.

Is there another method to test the rear camera?

It seems to unlikely that two new rear AVIN cameras would be inoperable. Also, there are two sets of lights in the rear AVIN camera assembly (license plate light camera location). One is the license plate light (this illuminated) and a second around the camera (did not illuminate). I do not know what this means. Never-the-less, I still cannot get an image to display whether on the bench or in the 2005 ZHP convertible.

I went for a walk and realized that I did not change the TV output to display a video feed. I changed the TV output and the same result ... no image displayed.

It seems near impossible that both of these "new" AVIN cameras would malfunction.

Is there another way to test the cameras? Where can I buy a four pin license plate light assembly rear camera that I can depend on?

maybe you're not activating the correct trigger wire to make them work. That's pretty much how I would usually bench test it to see if the camera works.

What about testing the AVIN? can you hook a dvd player or something to it and see if there's video? At least we can isolate one of the 2 problems.

maybe you're not activating the correct trigger wire to make them work. That's pretty much how I would usually bench test it to see if the camera works.

What about testing the AVIN? can you hook a dvd player or something to it and see if there's video? At least we can isolate one of the 2 problems.

Based on AVIN backup camera instructions, they identify the trigger wire and ground explicitly. Let's assume that the AVIN instructions are incorrect. I connected the backup cameras to the vehicle according to AVIN's instructions. The backup camera light was illuminated and the AVIN headunit switched to the backup camera. Therefore, the correct trigger wire has been used in the vehicle and with the "bench test" (TV & car battery) accurately.

I have a family member that has a portable DVD player that I could use to test the headunit.

AVIN seems to have switched the Customer Support contact location and internet point of contact to California. I have not been able to contact AVIN which only offers two methods ... email and a "Live Chat" and a third I recently identified, Facebook. I have emailed multiple times in the past week and sent a message today via Facebook. No replies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Satcho View Post
    Based on AVIN backup camera instructions, they identify the trigger wire and ground explicitly. Let's assume that the AVIN instructions are incorrect. I connected the backup cameras to the vehicle according to AVIN's instructions. The backup camera light was illuminated and the AVIN headunit switched to the backup camera. Therefore, the correct trigger wire has been used in the vehicle and with the "bench test" (TV & car battery) accurately.

I have a family member that has a portable DVD player that I could use to test the headunit.

AVIN seems to have switched the Customer Support contact location and internet point of contact to California. I have not been able to contact AVIN which only offers two methods ... email and a "Live Chat" and a third I recently identified, Facebook. I have emailed multiple times in the past week and sent a message today via Facebook. No replies so far.
    Can you post on their FB directly? If you can. I would suggest you do that. That way they don't try to ignore you when everyone can see it lol

Can you post pictures of the camera with the wiring attached and stuff. I know you're telling us the wiring colors. But iono maybe if we look at it's different. Same with the wireless transmitter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast