Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anybody in the DC area help me out with some maintenance

Hello again,

So i've relocated to the DMV area (specifically Laurel, MD). I've noticed my steering wheel to be very sloppy on the highway and have a hard time maintaining a straight course, especially on bumps. I went to the BMW dealer for an oil change and got hit with busted sway bar end links and lower control arm bushings. Can anyone with tools and some time help me replace these or recommend a GOOD shop? I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.

Thanks!

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.
    Just as a word of warning, don't buy Meyle CABs or control arms. This is probably what they used...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Do you know which brand for bushings they've used?

Best way to tell if the bushings are shot, drive at low speed and stab the brake. You will feel the wheels move if they are bad. Causes the steering wheel to jump left and right.

It's actually pretty easy to replace them. Plenty of DIYs around.

Thanks! Im going off what the dealership told me, which was that the rubber piece is almost coming out and the left control arm is coming apart. Its wet and cold outside so I haven't been able to take a look just yet.

Hello again,

So i've relocated to the DMV area (specifically Laurel, MD). I've noticed my steering wheel to be very sloppy on the highway and have a hard time maintaining a straight course, especially on bumps. I went to the BMW dealer for an oil change and got hit with busted sway bar end links and lower control arm bushings. Can anyone with tools and some time help me replace these or recommend a GOOD shop? I replaced the control arm bushings 2 months ago at a shop in S. Florida, which i found on bimmershops.com, and look where we are now.

Thanks!
    My friend Austin has a shop in Frederick. A couple members on here have gone to him for service with great reviews. PM sent with his info.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Just as a word of warning, don't buy Meyle CABs or control arms. This is probably what they used...
    I didn't know that Meyle parts were bad but I specifically asked if he was using OEM parts to which he assured me that he was. Maybe I should have had him show me the parts he was ordering before he did anything. Lesson learned. I called him and he wants me to send him the defective pieces to get my money back.

Order the parts online and have a trusted shop install them or some people that are local that are willing to help out. I would but I am 2 hours away from NOVA.

FYI, Do not buy Meyle. Stick to Lemforder or OE BMW parts.

Also now might be a good time to upgrade to Z4M FCAB http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1119519 and then have the car aligned.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I didn't know that Meyle parts were bad but I specifically asked if he was using OEM parts to which he assured me that he was. Maybe I should have had him show me the parts he was ordering before he did anything. Lesson learned. I called him and he wants me to send him the defective pieces to get my money back.
    I can't speak to all Meyle parts, but I do know that their control arms and control arm bushings are crap. I had their control arms and control arm bushings fail within a year (30k miles).

That is some pretty good customer service on that shop's part, though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Is the Meyle HD line of products any better?

Autozone.com
    If your willing to travel to Baltimore area, I can hook ya up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast