Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Ah man time for a steering rack rebuild. The boots are just there to keep dirt out of the seals on the rack. If they're leaking oil, then one of the seals is gone and you'll need a rebuild. That can sometimes be the result of a bad tie rod, which would explain the loose feel.

Give the rack doctor a call on Monday and see what he can do for you. The zhp rack is the most sought after e46 variant but pricing should be reasonable since you'll be sending a zhp core.

RackDoctor was what I was thinking too. I went through RackDoctor for my m3 rack, I wish they included the replacement plastic cap to the input shaft (the finned one that goes into the steering guibo that has the centering mark).

Minor update:

I've been occasionally smelling gasoline, most prevalent after a fill-up, so I decided to take another look at the fuel pump. The hose clamp was tight, but I was able to tighten the lock-ring a little more. I hope it's it; either way, glad it's fully tightened.

The mark up show the additional turn.

I also replaced the m56 valve cover CCV cap. The cap was brittle and already had a couple cracks at the tab locations. The original diaphragm was intact and not ripped so I just reused the original piece after a little clean up. Sorry, no photos of the clean up - just imagine old oil a little gunked up and crusty.

A forum member on e46fanatics reproduced the cap and diaphragm (link). The fit and finish is fantastic, matches the originals.

That's about it. Still haven't gotten around to the steering rack yet. Just been driving it.

Wow I hadn't seen that M56 cap & diaphragm combo. I have been using the Russian replacement membrane with my janky OE cap while following along with the guy developing the aluminum version. This one is both perfect and cheap - thanks for sharing!

Yeah it's a quality piece - the materials and fit/finish seem to match the original pieces. I couldn't tell the difference between the silicon diaphragm from the OE piece. Both highly recommended, glad I held off from that metal cap.

I think I need to reroute the vacuum lines... my VC is spitting out some oil. I didn't have this problem for the first few thousand miles so I'm not quite sure what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yeah it's a quality piece - the materials and fit/finish seem to match the original pieces. I couldn't tell the difference between the silicon diaphragm from the OE piece. Both highly recommended, glad I held off from that metal cap.

I think I need to reroute the vacuum lines... my VC is spitting out some oil. I didn't have this problem for the first few thousand miles so I'm not quite sure what's going on here.
    hmm might want to make sure you're getting vacuum on in your crank case. Easiest way is to pull the oil cap while the car is idling and see if it sucks your hand to it when you try to cover the hole. Should run like hell with the cap removed and nothing covering the fill hole.

I ordered the cap & diaphragm from the dude -- thanks for sharing!

^yeah, I think the hose I used from the VC vacuum port to the intake manifold air rail is collapsing and thus cutting off vacuum. I'll have to source another hose and remedy it. ZHPizza: What are you using for the vacuum hose?

On another note, I noticed there was a weird piece of 'saran wrap' on a piece of door sill trim:

I guess the previous owner never took the protective wrap off. It's like opening a gift, oddly satisfying.

Here are some action shots, lol:

The passenger side was similar.

This car never came with an auto-dimming rear view mirror. I had one laying around and finally installed it. Thanks for the members who contributed to the guides posted here on ZHPMafia and elsewhere (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...30i-gt-Non_SOS)

Driving at night with a SUV behind me doesn't feel like I'm being interrogated in a gulag anymore. Auto dimming side mirrors would be great; maybe down the road.

Definitely have to get some window tint.

Gratuitous photo (Sorry for the bad quality):

I actually used a random preformed vacuum hose for a Chevy or some shit that I grabbed at AutoZone. It's the perfect size and sturdy as hell. @704sw was able to make one of the OE CCV hoses work.

I looked hard into retrofitting autodimming side mirrors and decided it wasn't worth it. Went with blue tinted aspherical glass from eBay (for filthy cheap) and, between that and a moderate tint, I have no issues with cars behind me at night.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I actually used a random preformed vacuum hose for a Chevy or some shit that I grabbed at AutoZone. It's the perfect size and sturdy as hell. @704sw was able to make one of the OE CCV hoses work.

I looked hard into retrofitting autodimming side mirrors and decided it wasn't worth it. Went with blue tinted aspherical glass from eBay (for filthy cheap) and, between that and a moderate tint, I have no issues with cars behind me at night.
    Yep, pretty sure it was the hose that went between the manifold and the top of the oil separator but it’s flipped (oil separator side is now on the manifold, and the manifold side now runs to the M56 port). The extra opening of the fitting that ran along the distribution rail is capped off. I can post a picture tomorrow if needed.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post

I'm probably going the blue-tinted aspherical ebay glass for side mirrors with the moderate tint as well. I def need stronger vacuum hose to prevent collapse - probably why BMW uses the corrugated plastic hose for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Yep, pretty sure it was the hose that went between the manifold and the top of the oil separator but it’s flipped (oil separator side is now on the manifold, and the manifold side now runs to the M56 port). The extra opening of the fitting that ran along the distribution rail is capped off. I can post a picture tomorrow if needed.
    Yeah, a photo of your setup would be great!

Did you use the hose from the m54 (11-61-1-432-559), photo from realoem:

or the hose from the m56 (11-15-7-513-756), photo from ecstuning:

I wish I had kept the old hoses to salvage the NORMA fittings.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast