Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Official ZHP Mafia Get This Teacher Lady's Wagon In Tip Top Shape Fund

All starting from this post:

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i have a friend who had a nervous breakdown in february and is in rehab for a year. his poor wife has two young kids and a house to look after, works full time as an underpaid teacher at my kids' school, and to top it off.... has a needy a 2002 325iT steptronic. she can't afford to have stuff fixed so my wife and i decided to help her out (my wife is my brake bleeding partner ). it was overdue for an oil change and both front brake lines were cracked and rotting (i had noticed this when i replaced both front control arms, FCABs, and tie rods just before my friend was hospitalized).

i heard some clunking when i drove it back to my house and suspected that the left front strut was dead, which i confirmed when i had the wheels off. also when the wheels were off, i noticed the front pads and rotors were nearly done. great.

so i get to work - the oil pan drain bolt had almost zero resistance, and he is what i found when i removed it... well, whatever 'it' is. i'm really surprising it wasn't leaking, because this thing was barely making any kind of a seal at all. this is why you should change you own oil. i'm assuming the oil change place they brought it to before put this into the oil pan... cause it sure ain't stock:

i spent about 45 minutes looking through fastener bins trying to find something suitable that i could use for an oil pan bolt - it's an M12 x 1.5, which is not really used anywhere on the car except for wheel lug bolts. and that wouldn't work. finally i found one that was the correct thread pitch, but was a bit long - so i stacked 6 thick washers under the head, and then a fresh crush washer, and in it went. i was relieved when it was in and tightened.

the oil filter and new brakes lines went in without drama. whew.

i also found the right front corner light had a lot of condensation in it.... i had a spare so i replaced it, and when i took the old one out (TYC brand - cheap aftermarket crap), look at how much water it had taken on!

all in all, a satisfying repair. as i delivered the car back to her this morning, thinking how am i going to tell her it needs a front strut and new brakes when she has no money, i realized that hey, i'm going to have some not-yet-dead-and-not-leaking OEM sport front struts and a nearly-new set of 325i rotors and pads from my Touring in a month when i do the drivetrain/brake/suspension swap from the ZHP! a DD's need being met from my swap project - i love it. it truly is better to give than to receive.

happy tuesday motoring, everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    But back on topic--the whole time I was reading your post, I was thinking "we could easily cover the parts costs for this lady and Peter is nice enough to do whatever labor is involved, because Peter."

So all that to say that this is happening no matter what you say:

The Official ZHP Mafia Get This Teacher Lady's Wagon In Tip Top Shape Fund

or OZMGTTLWITTSF, for short.

A kickstarter seems wholly unnecessary given the level of camaraderie here, so why don't you just share your Paypal address and we'll start throwing money at you to add to the fund?

dude... i am speechless. i appreciate the thought - i really do! - but this is way beyond necessary. i was happy to buy her parts this go-round, and the struts and rotors + pads are coming off the Touring. so no money out of pocket there. but i really do appreciate the thoughtfulness, that is what counts!

the car does need an alignment, though (she hasn't gotten that done since i replaced the other suspension bits a couple months ago). haven't figured that one out yet.

First goal is to raise enough for an alignment.

Then parts: drain plug? brake lines? bushings? how are the window regulators? Let's do this, fam!

BAM. HALFWAY TO AN ALIGNMENT.

Name:  canadiandonation.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  33.2 KB

CONVERSION RATE MAKING ME LOOK GOOD TODAY

Is this through PayPal?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Is this through PayPal?
    Yeah, but I can't get Peter to make a payment link because he's too proud to take our monetary donations so that he can only donate a massive amount of his time and energy.

For now, just put in his email address peter at tenecom.com

First goal is to raise enough for an alignment.

Then parts: drain plug? brake lines? bushings? how are the window regulators? Let's do this, fam!
    BAM. HALFWAY TO AN ALIGNMENT.
    nate... you are such a big-hearted guy. thanks! this will mean a lot to her (and to me).

we're good on all of the stuff in bold above. i've replaced the driver's door window regulator already - passenger side is next (it went crunch-crunch when my wife put it down during brake bleeding). to be honest... i've fixed a lot of things on this car over the last year, but it was owned by a 'stance' guy before and his imprint is all over this car (broken plastic bits everywhere, missing wheelwell liners, smooshed rear fender lips, etc). engine and trans seem to be OK.

it's on winter tires now, i need to see if she has summers - i can't remember. she'll wear the winters out in no time though if left on there. otherwise - after brakes, struts and alignment, should be OK.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

it's on winter tires now, i need to see if she has summers - i can't remember. she'll wear the winters out in no time though if left on there. otherwise - after brakes, struts and alignment, should be OK.
    Well if she wears through those winters and needs another set, I know of a set of Sottozeros that won't get used. They can be hers for the low low price of however the hell I get them to you!
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

I just changed out my summers the other day - they had some tread left.

Other things that I have lying around:

- A working (albeit original) fuel pump, just in case as a backup
    - A 330i muffler (if hers is in shitty/rusted shape)
    - I will be replacing my pads and rotors soon. They have enough life left.
    - A working water pump, idler pulleys etc
    - Some other random bits but I need to go look at my random parts box in the basement locker

If any small ticket item parts are required, I can go pick them up from Maranello (they have 20% discount for Maxbimmer forum members) and it will be on me.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Well if she wears through those winters and needs another set, I know of a set of Sottozeros that won't get used. They can be hers for the low low price of however the hell I get them to you!
    thanks spenser - likely not worth the expense to ship them, but thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    I just changed out my summers the other day - they had some tread left.

Other things that I have lying around:

- A working (albeit original) fuel pump, just in case as a backup
    - A 330i muffler (if hers is in shitty/rusted shape)
    - I will be replacing my pads and rotors soon. They have enough life left.
    - A working water pump, idler pulleys etc
    - Some other random bits but I need to go look at my random parts box in the basement locker

If any small ticket item parts are required, I can go pick them up from Maranello (they have 20% discount for Maxbimmer forum members) and it will be on me.
    thanks anando! i've got brakes covered (plus they're 325i brakes), and the spare fuel pump. no idea on cooling system maintenance - i likely will just deal with failures as they happen, as a full overhaul is ~$400 CAD.

maranello gives a 20% discount? dang. i always buy from endras in ajax when i need OEM stuff right away (plus they ship anything - even a radiator - for a flat $10, and i get it the next day), they offer a 10% discount. hmmm. might need to talk to maranello.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thanks for doing this (and for your Peter).
    thanks shawn!

we've got enough for the alignment, thank you guys! (you know who you are ) i will schedule it after i get the front struts in.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Love this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast