Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM3186 View Post
    Is there a way of knowing? I don't feel as if it bounces when I push on it. I can also hear the rear shocks with the windows down when I hit a bump is that normal? Also, I feel like I'm going to break something when I go over those bridges on the interstate at 80+ But Im used to SUVs so I don't have a basis for what it's supposed to feel like.
    When one of my front shocks died, it sounded like every little bump I hit was a crater. The car never got bouncy.
    I think it's normal to hear a tiny bit of shock noise as it dampens the shock, but it's not supposed to be audible enough to hear it with the windows down while driving at speed.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

If the OEM shocks have over 50K on them - they are toast.

Depends on what you hear from the rear shocks (should not hear anything) - would make a bet that something is broken - shock/bushing. Their are know issues with "noise" from the rear deck (ie rear deck rattle)

The Daughters 05 coupe is silent (event with the 104K OEM shocks) - even more silent with the new Bileistin 06 shocks....
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by PetesZ View Post
    If the OEM shocks have over 50K on them - they are toast.

Depends on what you hear from the rear shocks (should not hear anything) - would make a bet that something is broken - shock/bushing. Their are know issues with "noise" from the rear deck (ie rear deck rattle)

The Daughters 05 coupe is silent (event with the 104K OEM shocks) - even more silent with the new Bileistin 06 shocks....
    Almost sounds like air when I come off a bump and they rebound

OK - that's better than a "clump".

The 100K OEM shocks were dead in that they had no negative rebound (would not extend) -

It is about the easiest job to do - (on par with changing the oil) - took about 30mins for me to do both.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

If you are on your stock shocks, I would say just remove one of the rear shocks (relatively easy to do) and compress it. If they don't rebound well, and I mean really don't rebound (takes 40+ seconds), then they're due for replacement. On miles and age alone I'd think you're due, but physically checking one of the shocks is one way to be sure.

After driving my car for a while, I feel the suspension is a bit soft, not totally "mushy", but a bit soft for my tastes. The front end clunking while braking and accelerating is aggravating, so this was my first priority. ECS Tuning put together a "refresh" kit for my front end consisting of the following:

1. 2 Bilstein ZHP lower control arms
    2. Left and right Sway bar links
    3. Left and right tie rod assembly
    4. Left and right dust boots

I also ordered 2 Rogue aluminum wrapped FCAB's instead of going with the factory rubber.

I'm having everything installed later this week. Next up will be new shocks, or maybe coilovers and a full refresh for the rear end.
    I don't want to lower the car mainly because of clearance issues with the roads around here, so I'm not too sure if the coilovers would be worth it or any better than a set of Koni sport shocks like you used. I'm thinking of using all Rogue bushings and shock mounts as well as their articulating spring perches for the rear refresh. I'll also most likely replace some other stuff such as sway bar bushings.

If I go with all Rogue parts for the rear end, do you think there would be a noticeable increase in noise and vibration?

I think you would like the Koni sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludsport View Post
    I also ordered 2 Rogue aluminum wrapped FCAB's instead of going with the factory rubber.
    Yeah the clunking while braking is likely fcabs but those aluminum Rogues are meant for the track. My opinion is they go much further in the stiffness than is necessary. I'm running Meyle's which are solid rubber not oil filled like the stock ones. But who knows? Suspension tastes are very subjective. I thought my stock suspension was too firm when I first got the car.

You're right, very subjective. My last car was an '09 M3, and that car was a little hard on your ass after a few hundred miles. Forget about it on crappy city streets. For me, my ZHP feels a little mushy and other than the clunking aggravation, it's the main reason for the refresh. I thought the same thing about the Rogue bushings, probably way too stiff for a street car. Then I talked to the guys at Rogue about them and they told me they have two different inserts for the aluminum housing, one is for racing, the other for street use. They claimed that any additional harshness, vibration or noise should not be noticeable, so I went ahead and got them. I'll let you know how they feel after I have everything installed in a week or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12