Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    It could be because M3s have the rear upper and lower ball joints on the control arms from the factory instead of bushings like you had previously. So maybe the added harshness is from them and not the ball joint rtabs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely. I wish it would have been more convenient to test one variable at a time but I was in a rush to get everything done before an upcoming track night.

Reading through the m3f thread that I linked above would give good opinions on just the rtab change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Next time you have your car up in the air, use a prybar to flex the rear trailing arm, you won't believe how much movement the rubber bushing allows!
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    yep, then imagine under power how much squirmy-squirmy the rear wheels are doing...

i once saw some on-board video of the rear wheels on a stock E46 M3 under load, in a corner... and you could actually see a good 10-15mm of axial movement in the wheel from the stock RTAB. crazy. think of the toe changes!
    X2. I had bad OE RTAB's and noticed this when my car was all stock. I upgraded to RE Poly RTAB's and they made a big difference. Fast forward to headers and full exhaust, intake, engine tune etc. I can feel the rear end flex under power, it feels loose, normal city driving they are fine. I've been looking at the SDW or the new Turner RTAB's, expensive but I feel they are totally worth it.

RTAB's
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=584111

SDW RTAB's

Turner RTAB's
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Here's a better summary of the difference these make, written by a guy on m3f:

Full thread here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=584111
    I got the bimmerworld RTABs and I don't notice anything too harsh going on in the back. The problem is I've had a bunch of staff changed recently, so I'm not sure what contributes how. It does see a bit more noisy overall, though I think the main contributors are the poly differential mount and subframe bushings. Vibrations seem to be an insignificant difference. In some cases it seems that there is less vibration than before.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I got the bimmerworld RTABs and I don't notice anything too harsh going on in the back. The problem is I've had a bunch of staff changed recently, so I'm not sure what contributes how. It does see a bit more noisy overall, though I think the main contributors are the poly differential mount and subframe bushings. Vibrations seem to be an insignificant difference. In some cases it seems that there is less vibration than before.

I have the bimmerworld RTABs and it rides great etc on smooth highway roads, but anytime I hit anything even the reflectors that split lanes it’s pretty miserable. The problem here is the roads are not great so city driving suuucks!

I went over railroad tracks and it was surprisingly smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by d-rod View Post
    I have the bimmerworld RTABs and it rides great etc on smooth highway roads, but anytime I hit anything even the reflectors that split lanes it’s pretty miserable. The problem here is the roads are not great so city driving suuucks!

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I went over railroad tracks and it was surprisingly smooth.
    I can echo both of these statements with my Moog bearings. Dips in the road, train tracks, etc are all super smoothed out with the bearings, but anything with a leading edge that puts a horizontal load on the rear trailing arm (where the rubber bushing would compress to allow the trailing arm to flex out of toe and absorb the impact) rattles through the frame. It's loud.

I'm wondering if the holes drilled in the body of the TMS unit would help dampen some of that impact if you filled them with rubber (or even better, fluid):

Probably a fool's errand, though. I'd try it if they weren't so damn expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I can echo both of these statements with my Moog bearings. Dips in the road, train tracks, etc are all super smoothed out with the bearings, but anything with a leading edge that puts a horizontal load on the rear trailing arm (where the rubber bushing would compress to allow the trailing arm to flex out of toe and absorb the impact) rattles through the frame. It's loud.
    I don't know which noise is coming from where, but I'm curious to see how things would be back on the rubber bushings. So far I can't say I would recommend this for a daily driver.

Z4m with limiters is what I have installed.

I know most would not agree though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Z4m with limiters is what I have installed.

I know most would not agree though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this. I spent the past two hours researching oe+limiters vs poly vs delrin vs spherical bearing and learned a ton. Just put in an order for the latest revision of the oe rtabs (z4m):

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...46-33326770817

And, from what I've gathered, the best option for limiters:

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...iters-full-set

I really like the UHMW material that vorshlag uses for their limiters and would put it well ahead of any poly, delrin, or aluminum options. I have used a lot of these materials in industrial settings and was thinking that UHMW would be perfect for this application, so it's worth the price (to me) over the poly limiters that FCP packages with the bushings.
    Last edited by ZHPizza; 11-08-2018 at 07:34 AM.

I should also mention that the spherical rtabs are AWESOME on the track and increased rear grip so much that I don't feel like I need an LSD anymore. It's actually quite a bit more difficult to get the car sideways and a bit of a buzzkill when you're tryna hoon.

I just think they transfer too much impact for street use.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast