Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    im trying to look at it like i basically have rebuilt the car from the ground up and now have a pristine 1 of 1 production ZHP ("trying" being the operative word).

i need to leatherique the interior and get a new center console/cupholder unit to replace the scratched one.

the refinished wheels do look fantastic. love me some clean M135s.

once traffic dies down i'll go hit the freeway and hopefully that will make me feel better.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    It's mind blowing how some simple repairs are so expensive when done by a shop.

I do hope you will be happy with the car at the end.
    I know!

For example, the AUC (air quality sensor) was $96.45. If you order from ECS Tuning, it is $70 shipped (link) and it literally takes 15 seconds to replace it. Oh and this was a totally unnecessary repair because it does not affect anything functional in the car.

$641 to replace one pre-cat O2 sensor?? That thing costs $144 from ECS Tuning (link) and 30 minutes max to replace.

Another example - $1,116 for replacing a customer provided VANOS?? Thats insane! The total parts cost me $172, which included the VCG gaskets, grommets, VANOS oil line, besian systems seals etc. The labor for this should not be more than couple of hours - especially if the shop is receiving a pre-built VANOS.

$195/wheel to re-finish them?? Thats quite expensive too.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Yeah they go by quoted job time not how long it actually takes as far as labor charges go...it's annoying. He will discount the labor significantly though.

Like I said earlier I am not in the position physically to be able to wrench on the car thus the shop did everything.
    --Wes--

wow, that is some CRAZY labor rates! $148.20/hour! no wonder it cost you so much. that sucks. also... it seems the quoted job time is waaaay longer than what it should take. hopefully you got some massive discounts!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I've been using these guys for years and have argued against their labor and parts markups time and time again. Like I said that estimate will come down to 10 at the most.

It was a huge amount of work after all. I'm not mad at my Indy I'm mad at the shop that did the PPI and the guy who sold it to me.
    --Wes--

- complete cooling system overhaul incl. Behr radiator and EMP Stewart water pump
    - TMS power pulleys
    - Dr VANOS rebuild
    - TMS CF strut bar
    - Dinan Air Intake
    - Shark Injector tune
    - UUC stainless steel brake and clutch lines
    - UUC clutch stop
    - ///M dead pedal + door sills
    - Rogue Engineering Octane SSK
    - OE 135 ZHP wheel refinish
    - New OE floor mats (anthracite)
    - New Coby Alcantara ZHP shift knob
    - Leatherique leather treatment
    - OE Amber front corners

Future plans:
    - G.A.S. Gold DISA valve (bought from my last car yet to be installed)

Welp aside from the shark, dinan intake and disa everything on this list has been done! lol
    --Wes--

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    It was a huge amount of work after all. I'm not mad at my Indy I'm mad at the shop that did the PPI and the guy who sold it to me.
    Agreed that the PO was not honest with you and the PPI shop screwed you over but this indy shop also made things look a lot worse to you than it really is in order to make a few extra bucks.

Some of the non-essential stuff I see in the quote that are quite common in a E46 of this age:
    - $500 replacing just rivets, grommets, clamps and other non-essential stuff
    - Spent $1000 refinishing rims and remounting tires and re-balancing. Were the wheels really that bent and out of shape?
    - VANOS seals are done in every E46 you will find on the market. Did not need to spend $1100+ on fixing this right away
    - Almost $100 on AUC sensor
    - $300+ for a PS flush - didn't replace the pressure hoses even.
    - $527 for replacing a OFHG?? Every E46 has this leaking/seeping at this age

That added up to ~ $3500 of non-essential issues that you would find on every E46 on the road. There is probably more - but you get my point. I feel like these guys were just short of replacing the cup holders in your car due to coffee stains.

You car may have had some extra rust on the underside which you would normally not expect on a car from Texas/California etc but nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

I feel really sorry about the whole situation, but I am hoping you make a quick recovery and drive the shit out of this ZHP.
    Last edited by anandoc; 08-11-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Did you take the car for a ride ? Thoughts ?
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Agreed that the PO was not honest with you and the PPI shop screwed you over but this indy shop also made things look a lot worse to you than it really is in order to make a few extra bucks.

Some of the non-essential stuff I see in the quote that are quite common in a E46 of this age:
    - $500 replacing just rivets, grommets, clamps and other non-essential stuff
    - Spent $1000 refinishing rims and remounting tires and re-balancing. Were the wheels really that bent and out of shape?
    - VANOS seals are done in every E46 you will find on the market. Did not need to spend $1100+ on fixing this right away
    - Almost $100 on AUC sensor
    - $300+ for a PS flush - didn't replace the pressure hoses even.
    - $527 for replacing a OFHG?? Every E46 has this leaking/seeping at this age

That added up to ~ $3500 of non-essential issues that you would find on every E46 on the road. There is probably more - but you get my point. I feel like these guys were just short of replacing the cup holders in your car due to coffee stains.

You car may have had some extra rust on the underside which you would normally not expect on a car from Texas/California etc but nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

I feel really sorry about the whole situation, but I am hoping you make a quick recovery and drive the shit out of this ZHP.
    My rationale changed along the way of this process. At first i only wanted to fix what was absolutely necessary. As that list grew and grew, the costs began to snowball and i then moved on to "only do the mechanical stuff" and then finally "fuck it do the cosmetics too" - part of that decision was based on frustration and the "just make it right all around" approach that i took towards my last car. Some of the high cost is my fault. I just told him to go ahead with everything.

I know i could have saved a few grand by delaying some of the repairs and attempting diy down the road but honestly between my recovery and being out of work for 3 months i have other priorities in life right now. I dont have the time or energy to work on the car right now. It doesn't help that it will be 95+ degrees for at least another 6-8 weeks here...

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Did you take the car for a ride ? Thoughts ?
    Yes, briefly, did not get out of 3rd gear due to traffic but tomorrow i will flog it on the highway a bit. It's driving very good. I do love the color combo. I hadn't seen the car in a month but being reunited does to some extent rekindle my fondness for the car.
    --Wes--

Car is driving great. Love the rogue ssk. And I swear the shifts and clutch feel are smoother than my old car. I think the CDV unlock valve makes a huge difference.

However, the following issues are prevalent and I would appreciate any help or troubleshooting:

- speakers on right side of car produce almost no sound. They are not completely dead, but if I adjust the balance to all right side I hear almost nothing. Does that mean the H/K amp is shot?

- no warning chimes and no signal flash upon locking. My shop said it's due to a bad cluster. Can anyone confirm that or provide some alternative ideas?

Thanks guys.
    --Wes--

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast