Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which tools are must haves in a set for a BMW? doityourself

Installing the performance air intake today made me realize I am in desperate need of a tool set that is not filled with random tools and very few metric tools. Right now Sears has their tool sets on sale for 30% off. I am looking to spend between $100 and $200. I want a set that I can keep in my trunk and use for routine maintenance. I don't plan on rebuilding any engines or doing major repairs myself.

What tools are absolute must haves for the set I buy? Are there any that, while it is not a must have, would be nice to have and make my life easier?

1/4 and 3/8 inch drive standards 5mm up to 18mm. Shallow and deep sockets.

3/8 inch drive breaker bar.

Good set of screwdrivers.

Couple of 1/4" drive 6" extensions, and 3" extensions.

Couple of 3/8" drive 6" extensions, and 3" extensions.

Box end open end wrenches....from 5mm up to 18mm.

One large, one small crescent wrench.

1 0-150ft-lb torque wrench.

1 0-50nm torque wrench.

OBD II scan tool.

2 low profile jacks.

2 jack stands.

1/4" flex drive kit.

Good exacto knife kit.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 02-26-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane's got a good list there.

I would also look at the interior trim toolkit from ECS tuning if you plan on doing tail lights, iPod adaptor, homelink, etc.

+1...great idea Eli...

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Dane's got a good list there.

I would also look at the interior trim toolkit from ECS tuning if you plan on doing tail lights, iPod adaptor, homelink, etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Awesome idea for a thread. Pics would be even better, but Dane, whats a 1/4" flex drive kit?

Is it the screwdriver that flexes for removing the dreaded lower intake boot? - need one of those.

How do you remove the oil filter housing cap? Don't you need a 32 mm socket (or do you use a large adjustable range?).
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I use the 32mm socket...which should be added. I have one....just didn't put it above.

Flex drive kit I have has a screwdriver handle....and it come with a 6-9 inch removeable, flexible extension. It also has some fittings.

Also the hex head socket for the diff and the torx socket for the manual trans.

I'll get the sizes when I get home.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

+1

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Also the hex head socket for the diff and the torx socket for the manual trans.

I'll get the sizes when I get home.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

If you do get your tools at Sears, feel free to click this link right here for the tools. As you said, their tools are 30% off. ZHPMafia.com gets a commission if you purchase through that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Awesome idea for a thread. Pics would be even better, but Dane, whats a 1/4" flex drive kit?

Is it the screwdriver that flexes for removing the dreaded lower intake boot? - need one of those.

How do you remove the oil filter housing cap? Don't you need a 32 mm socket (or do you use a large adjustable range?).
    I need one of those flex things for the lower intake boot too...

I've used large adjustable pliers or whatever for the oil filter cap, but I just got the socket from amazon. I'll update with the link later...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast