Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anthracite headliner material or something close online?

so i will be doing black headliner in the wagon soon. so far i have collected for great prices the A, B and C pillars, visors, vanity lights, sunroof seal, handle pulls with covers... all from quarry motors for $190 shipped. at this point the only thing i need is literally the black headliner.

my headliner is MINT and it pains me to take it out and remove the original material but it has to be done. local upholstery shops charge around $150-300 it seems if i bring it to them and have them do it. not bad prices but i do like DIY. i just want to make sure i find the material that will match the factory pillars as close as possible.
    i searched google and did not find a lot and the threads i found on zhp mafia were mainly telling people to take it to an upholstery shop lol

maybe things have changed and someone finally does know where the material can be sourced?

i'm already preparing myself mentally to get ready to remove the oem beige material and then scrub/sand down the old foam backing that will inevitably stick the headliner board

thanks guys
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    thanks man looks like thats a link to your project thread. doesnt look like there is still a definitive choice lol. you posted up findings, some people went one way others went another..

also does anyone know how wide of fabric to get? joanns has some nice looking 1/8th foam backed black headliner material. $14.99 a yard and its 55 inches. wide

some people say 54 inches others say 60 inches. im curious if people are just saying 60 inches to be overkill

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    thanks man looks like thats a link to your project thread. doesnt look like there is still a definitive choice lol. you posted up findings, some people went one way others went another..

also does anyone know how wide of fabric to get? joanns has some nice looking 1/8th foam backed black headliner material. $14.99 a yard and its 55 inches. wide

some people say 54 inches others say 60 inches. im curious if people are just saying 60 inches to be overkill
    BM134 is what I ended up purchasing from Veteran Company ( Total of 2 yards for a sedan headliner) . It is a close enough match to the existing black headliner which is used in the zhp.

This was my other choice however they were out of stock when I was in the market for material.

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...d-by-the-yard/

BM134 is what I ended up purchasing from Veteran Company ( Total of 2 yards for a sedan headliner) . It is a close enough match to the existing black headliner which is used in the zhp.

This was my other choice however they were out of stock when I was in the market for material.

too bad they dont state how wide it is in inches. just that you need 4 yards @ $75 a yard to do everything. thats $300 quite steep unfortunately.

even 2 yards being $150, that's still steep.

i cant believe how hard it is in google to find the answer to such a simple question such as "e46 headliner width" or "e46 headliner fabric width" or "e46 headliner dimensions"

i swear i saw it somewhere at one point but cant find it now. oh well ill just measure when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    too bad they dont state how wide it is in inches. just that you need 4 yards @ $75 a yard to do everything. thats $300 quite steep unfortunately.

even 2 yards being $150, that's still steep.

i cant believe how hard it is in google to find the answer to such a simple question such as "e46 headliner width" or "e46 headliner fabric width" or "e46 headliner dimensions"

i swear i saw it somewhere at one point but cant find it now. oh well ill just measure when i get home.
    They did not give me a choice on width either but assured me it was wide enough for the bmw headliner.

The cost aspect on it does seem high but I am picky enough that if it did not not perfectly, I would be doing the job twice.

Also keep in mind that the foam backed-material is not ideal for the A pillars due to the strip that fits into them. As far as I recall the only place that it is used is the headliner, sunroof shade and the panel for the sunroof controls. Everything else is simple thin fabric. The foam back material also soaks up the glue really well so be deliberate on how much you spray to prevent over-saturating it.

On the M3 converted wagon, I used this spray dye at the recommendation of Braymond141:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not something I'd normally do, but anthracite wagon headliners were never sold in the USA and shipping a wagon headliner from Europe is too expensive to even think about.

My pillars and accessories are OE anthracite. It's pretty indistinguishable looking, but if you touch the headliner if feels funny. Happily I don't often feel compelled to touch it.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 2003 530i 5mt, 04 M3 wagon (with ZHP interior and exterior trimmings)
    Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car, 6mt NA RWD e91

Quote Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

My pillars and accessories are OE anthracite. It's pretty indistinguishable looking, but if you touch the headliner if feels funny. Happily I don't often feel compelled to touch it.
    Must feel similar to a resprayed parcel shelf, right? It's a very strange feeling, but thankfully nobody touches that part. I wonder how that dye would hold up to vacuuming the headliner.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I just emailed veteran company for a sample of BM134. I was told it’s 48” wide and $42.00 per yard.
    05 BMW • 330i • ZHP • DINAN3

Instagram @205_zhp

Quote Originally Posted by TLL0003 View Post
    I just emailed veteran company for a sample of BM134. I was told it’s 48” wide and $42.00 per yard.
    That sounds about right for what I paid before shipping to VA. Mine is still in the box since I have not had time to devote to the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast