Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZHP Coupe Wrong Cluster?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums (Hi all!), I just bought a '05 coupe in pretty good shape all around. I drove it all the way back home and had no problems at all, its been such a great ride!

As I began my preventative maintenance on the car since I've gotten home, I realized the instrument cluster seems like it was actually meant for a sedan. It has the ZHP orange needles, but seems to have "four doors" instead of two on the cluster where it lights up when your door or trunk is opened. My friends with other 330cis (Non ZHP) don't seem to have the same cluster layout as mine. I am wondering if the cluster has been changed before or is there something i am missing here?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Congrats ! Please check the cluster on this link. I bet it's similar to yours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-330ci-3/
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Congrats ! Please check the cluster on this link. I bet it's similar to yours.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-330ci-3/
    Hi Fredo,

I actually am having a hard time seeing the "unlit" backdoors I am speaking of, I tried zooming in on the photo but still couldn't see it.

Are you aware of this issue from anyone else on the forums?

Negative. I'm sure a coupe or vert owner will reply here.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Not sure if this helps you, but here's my cluster image during self test from when I had it apart to fix the broken reset buttons:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pete

Name:  2820E3AD-9E86-41D0-A38F-2781DCFF1EC3.jpeg
Views: 275
Size:  1.34 MB
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

and there's several youtube videos showing how to test the functionality of the cluster. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JMxcAgviM&t=106s which appears to be a 2 door cluster.

There are other videos that show 4 doors though. So sounds like you may have the wrong cluster, which might make the mileage questionable too (hopefully not)
    Pete

More than 200 miles difference between the mileage on the cluster and the DME ithink pop a tamper dot like mine has

Round dot
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

I saw a post from Overboost over on e46fanatics that gave instructions on how to write the mileage using PASoft and eliminate the tamper dot. Can't say if this works since I have no need to try this, but it could be how a wrong cluster could be installed and have the correct mileage. Here's the instructions he attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete

From what I understand, All clusters have the potential for 4 door lights. My M3 cluster was modified to show 4 doors by soldering in the two missing LEDs and having the cluster recoded for 4 doors instead of two. Nothing on the face of the cluster was changed...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast