Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    The plugs on the clusters are definitely the same. I don't know what issue you ran into, but that's not it. And you wouldn't have to change it out. Would probably have to add a couple pins though since the MS45 sends some signals over the CAN-bus rather than a direct wire like the MS43. And some minor recoding of the instrument cluster for it to not look for said signals over the can bus.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Big one is that it's a torque managed DME. The DME knows what combination of throttle, revs, fuel, vanos, spark, etc leads to X torque. When I press down my foot, I'm requesting more torque, and the DME figures out what to do from there. It's a different sort of control scheme, but IMO a better one. I also like that the MS45.1 uses wideband O2 sensors, which should make things like going E85 feasible. And the MS45 does have support for a "sport mode" - which for now only switches the throttle map, but should be possible to repurpose to support other map changes. And with the way the input is setup, I don't think it would be too difficult to have multiple modes rather than just sport and non-sport.

The MS45 also has a much faster CPU, and I find the PowerPC code to be easier to follow than the C167 code from the MS43. It does have some security that has to be dealt with (RSA), but that should be feasible.
    Fascinating.

The wideband O2's are definitely nice. I log data from the MS45.1 and know what my AFR is based on the pre-cat O2 sensor voltages, no need for an aftermarket sensor and controller.

You just gave me a really exciting idea... I've been wanting to run methanol injection... that sport mode switch might be a solution to a methanol/non-methanol tune that could be switched on the fly (as a safety in case the methanol runs out), and be totally OEM looking... OMG!
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    The plugs on the clusters are definitely the same. I don't know what issue you ran into, but that's not it. And you wouldn't have to change it out. Would probably have to add a couple pins though since the MS45 sends some signals over the CAN-bus rather than a direct wire like the MS43. And some minor recoding of the instrument cluster for it to not look for said signals over the can bus.
    Maybe it was because the wagon was also originally automatic???
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    You just gave me a really exciting idea... I've been wanting to run methanol injection... that sport mode switch might be a solution to a methanol/non-methanol tune that could be switched on the fly (as a safety in case the methanol runs out), and be totally OEM looking... OMG!
    I think it's feasible. The DME broadcasts whether or not it's in sport mode on the CAN-bus. So I built an arduino module that I wired into my CAN-bus to read the status. Right now the only thing it's doing is switching the sport LED on/off on my M3 switch panel. But I could theoretically have the arduino control anything else. So turning on meth injection is possible. And I was thinking of having exhaust cutouts controlled by sport mode too (kinda like the F8x M).

On the DME side, it would require a bit of custom code, but it should be totally feasible to have alternate fuel, ignition, vanos, etc targets based on that sport status.

Quote Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
    Maybe it was because the wagon was also originally automatic???
    Honestly, I don't think that should be an issue either. I know of at least two MS45.1 auto wagons that were converted to MSS54 6MT cars without too much trouble. MS43 conversion should be even easier.

Bump. Anyone have more complete info?

For harnesses do we only need the engine harness, ignition harness, and the transmission/O2 sensor harness? Then its plug and play with MS43 DME, 3-pin MAF, IAT, narrowband O2 sensors?

What about the connectors to the IAT and 3-pin MAF? Or are those part of the engine harness?

Any more info on the alternator, so you have to repin it or buy a MS43 alternator? Is the connector for the alternator part of the engine harness?

It looks like part number 12517523226 is the correct one for the transmission/O2 sensor harness.

What about the battery light in the instrument cluster, someone said that doesnt' work?
    Last edited by rkneeshaw; 06-20-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Adding some info from over on e46f:

To do this conversion completely plug and play you will need:
    MS43 engine harness (plenty of them on eBay for cheap)
    MS43 DME
    MS43 MAF 13627567451
    Manual transmission/O2 sensors harness 12517520114 (6 speed in my case)
    Ignition harness 12517518044 (for late style coils)
    Alternator voltage regulator 2 pin 12317559183 plug n play
    Intake temperature sensor 13621739510
    Pre cat O2 sensors 11781742050 (I'm deleting post cat sensors)

So there are a couple things left that I'm still not 100% clear on.

1. You can probably make yourself an adapter for the alternator if you don't want to swap the regulator. You'd need a 3-pin EV1 male connector and a few BMW parts for the oval connector: BMW Oval plug Qty 1 (12527507259), BMW Protective cap for oval plug Qty 1 (12527506439), BMW wire/bushing for oval plug Qty 2 (12520007172). I'm not clear what is the better route to go. It sounds like if you just wire up the existing regulator you might need to recode your instrument cluster? But I've heard at least one confirmed report that you can swap the regulator and no recoding of the cluster was necessary. So I'm not sure if swapping the regulator or building an adapter is a better more plug-and-play route.

2. O2 sensor harness. I've seen it posted that you want part number 12517520114 but they are $400+ and I can't find any used. EDIT: part number 12517523226 is the MS45.1 based harness, you don't want that one. I believe any harness for a manual MS43 car will work, doesnt have to be 6-speed.

3. If the cluster does need to be recoded to keep the battery light functional, what exactly needs to be changed? I haven't found the answer to this yet either.

The research continues...
    Last edited by rkneeshaw; 06-26-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

My swap is happening this week
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
    My swap is happening this week
    In for the deets, please make a separate thread with tune info and gains!

2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

Have been running MS43 for about 2 weeks now. All is good, and I just passed smog readiness with no cats or SAP. Attached is my dyno using a free tune published on MS43wiki, versus my previous Markert Motorworks tune on the MS45. The MS45 is the runs with the 4k dip. The MS43 runs also had 3 gallons of E85, though I dont think it took advantage of it.

Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
    Have been running MS43 for about 2 weeks now. All is good, and I just passed smog readiness with no cats or SAP. Attached is my dyno using a free tune published on MS43wiki, versus my previous Markert Motorworks tune on the MS45. The MS45 is the runs with the 4k dip. The MS43 runs also had 3 gallons of E85, though I dont think it took advantage of it.

Sorry, is smog readiness the same as passing smog? Without cats?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast