Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Are cast wheels really that weak?
    A gravity cast is just a pour, you get what you get, there are cavities in them, sometimes very large ones. Also they are cast in sand and the sand sometimes gets in the casting itself and weakens the affected area. When you machine a casting you make it nice and smooth but you just don't know for sure what is inside the part, wheel in this case. They are probably not tested for cavitation either. So as long as the machined surface is smooth they send them on to the next guy.

If the cast is done via pressure or centrifuge then the molten alloy is pressed into the mold via pressure. This usually makes them much more solid.

I've machined gravity cast aluminum and had 1 inch holes show up inside them out of nowhere, just an air pocket. I've also hit rocks, metal of a different material, all kinds of crazy shit sometimes. You gotta figure if the guy that is making them is pissed there is no tellin what he or she will put in there. The cheaper the casting the cheaper the employee was paid to make it and the more likely you'll find imperfections of some sort in them.

ALSO...most castings are two pieces put together. So if they connect them carelessly then you'll be riding on a wheel that is weak right down the middle.

I don't machine wheels.....not yet at least. We have a client that we are talking to right now though. I can't disclose any further information but we'll see how those casting look like. I'll probably be the one making them so I'll have a much better insight into the whole process in a few months.

^^^^Off topic but are you a cnc machinest ?

Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    I had 18" OZ Ultraleggera wheels on my ZHP. Cracked them three times in two years of ownership. For me, with the local roads, it's OEM or forged aftermarket. With Cali's great roads you should be okay with cast wheels, but up here... no way.
    Good info. How does warranty work on OZ's?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    ^^^^Off topic but are you a cnc machinest ?
    I am.

^^^ glad to have another one here on the boards then.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Good info. How does warranty work on OZ's?

No idea. The wheels came with the car, so it never occurred for me to check into warranty.

No idea. The wheels came with the car, so it never occurred for me to check into warranty.
    So you cracked 3 separate rims.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    So you cracked 3 separate rims.

Yup. Was charged $300 to fix the first one. Discovered cracks 2 and 3 at the same time (one was leaking air), so I got rid of the wheels for $100 (had them posted on here with photos, too - might be able to dig it up in my post history), and picked up an OEM set.

Yup. Was charged $300 to fix the first one. Discovered cracks 2 and 3 at the same time (one was leaking air), so I got rid of the wheels for $100 (had them posted on here with photos, too - might be able to dig it up in my post history), and picked up an OEM set.
    I remember when you were selling them...
    Hmm yea I was seriously thinking about getting OZ Formula HLT.

Where did they crack? Rim edge?

I've cracked 3 BMW style 135s too...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I remember when you were selling them...
    Hmm yea I was seriously thinking about getting OZ Formula HLT.

Where did they crack? Rim edge?

I've cracked 3 BMW style 135s too...
    If I remember correctly, yes, the cracks all started at the outer edges and went inwards, perpendicular to the wheel.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast