Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Found out it was a loose bracket connected to the exhaust manifold head shield after doing my headers. lol vanos is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
    Found out it was a loose bracket connected to the exhaust manifold head shield after doing my headers. lol vanos is fine.
    Hmmm. Gonna check this myself.

Not that I did headers- but still gonna check around for other culprits.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I am getting the rattling sound only on cold start up. I actually never stood in front of the engine to pinpoint the source of the sound, but it is also only for a half second and sounds like 'marbles in a tin can'. Can i be pretty sure the vanos is the culprit?

If you google e46 VANOS rattle, you see some YouTube videos, compare your sound with them...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    If you google e46 VANOS rattle, you see some YouTube videos, compare your sound with them...
    You know, i'll be honest, it sounds different. I should have recorded the sound, but it is just a very sharp, loud, half second rattle on cold start (like 4 hours).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fdzGxsBr0
    Sounds exactly like this, but I don't know if it is truly the vanos.

Hot/warm starts don't have even a hint of it. Now I am thinking, should i even bother sending my unit to dr. vanos, if it may not even be the source of the sound. The only problem is, I don't want to put the engine back together, diagnose the sound, find out it IS the vanos, and have to tear open my valve cover again to take the vanos out.
    Last edited by papa_g; 11-13-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Personally, that sounds like stuck valves that then get moving again, but I'm not particularly well versed in diagnosing abnormal engine sounds

I would not mess with the vanos unless you are absolutely sure that is what is causing the noise. Could it be something like this:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76452

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Personally, that sounds like stuck valves that then get moving again, but I'm not particularly well versed in diagnosing abnormal engine sounds
    If it is indeed what you are saying, do you know what the fix is? Maybe I will hold off on the vanos for now. I will do a couple cycles of drain and fill with new oil, and who knows, maybe some new oil will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    If it is indeed what you are saying, do you know what the fix is? Maybe I will hold off on the vanos for now. I will do a couple cycles of drain and fill with new oil, and who knows, maybe some new oil will fix it.
    Try it with Shell Rotella T6 oil. It has better cleansing agents and may help out sticky lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Try it with Shell Rotella T6 oil. It has better cleansing agents and may help out sticky lifters.
    Ok what do you think of this hypothetical scenario:
    I refill with Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, run it in the car for a week, drain and fill with the Pentosin 5w-30 LL-01 i have laying around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast