Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    And another reason why I will never live in Comifornia. Swapping air intakes is at least easy.
    SMOG is the main reason I haven't gone supercharger

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    SMOG is the main reason I haven't gone supercharger
    I figured cost was more of a factor. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Went to another, less corporate smog type place and the guy didn't even look twice at the intake, as it should have been in the first place.

What is the reason that California is so strict with car intakes anyway (the actual reason, not political)?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Went to another, less corporate smog type place and the guy didn't even look twice at the intake, as it should have been in the first place.

What is the reason that California is so strict with car intakes anyway (the actual reason, not political)?
    It's pretty much political, but I think they reason it with causing more air pollution because you are now filtering less stuff to get better performance.

I passed smog at my place and I forgot I had my friend's gruppe m intake installed lol i only realized it after because i was wondering why my engine was way louder than normal.

sounds like it's up to the whim of whoever is doing the inspection...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

As a fellow Californian, who has asked about smog issues here and other forums, can I request that we just stop doing the "THIS IS WHY I DON'T LIVE IN CA ZOMFG BLAH RAGE" responses?

1.) We've all heard it 100 times.
    2.) It's not helpful.
    2b.) It is a waste of my 5 seconds scanning each response x the number of times that post has been made by everybody.
    3.) I'm born and raised in CA. My family is all from CA. My wife's family is all mostly in CA. We're not going to move simply because of smog checks.
    4.) We have smog regulations because there's some pretty serious smog issues. Does an intake swap on an M54 product more emissions? Probably not, but there's not much more we can do.

If you want to actually complain about something, look up the SULEV M56 engines and their fuel systems that are for emissions regulations.

I can think of 100 reasons to not live in this state, but SMOG isn't even on that list.

/rant

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

I mean, it's a discussion forum for car enthusiasts. People are going to have and express opinions about a car-unfriendly state when the topic comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    I mean, it's a discussion forum for car enthusiasts. People are going to have and express opinions about a car-unfriendly state when the topic comes up.
    This.

But let's keep it respectful and on point, as always.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What I really hate about this is the BMW performance intake is not allowed in CA but this is

I have passed SMOG with the BMWP Intake a couple of times. I would just go to a different smog shop. Some of the STAR test shops pay more attention than the "local gas station/mechanic" that also does SMOG, so try one of them maybe.

But, technically the guy is right, it is supposed to have a sticker... I always wondered why they didn't. So, no sticker, technically no pass. It's just never been an issue. But as said, just do the swap. Fortunately it's an easy one vs having to swap headers or something (which is a key reason why I don't have headers).

And while this is a car discussion forum, it does get tiring hearing about how bad CA is with SMOG regs, of course we don't like the restrictions. The flip side is the L.A. air is cleaner than it's been ever since SMOG became a problem. Another plus is we don't have to deal with car inspections that other states have that cover a whole other list of tedium. It is what it is.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast