PDA

View Full Version : HID fog light retrofit doityourself

JupiterBMW
06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
In a never ending quest to have the best light output possible, I decided to install an HID kit into my fog light housings. The increased light output is awesome, and the yellow color of the 3000K bulbs is a nice addition in the inclement weather. Of course, some people will want to match their headlight bulbs, but I chose 3000K because I like the look of the yellow light. Anyway, onto the steps needed...

1. Remove the front bumper. If you haven't done this, you can follow another of my DIYs... That link is HERE. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9532-DIY-Remove-Replace-front-bumper-and-refurbish-lower-grille)

2. Now that the bumper is off, you have access to all the space needed for the job at hand. As you will notice going to an HID kit, you now have some electronics to install as well as new bulbs. The electronics units are the ballasts (and igniters if not incorporated into the ballasts). All of this will need to be mounted somewhere, so the bumper coming off will give you a chance to find a place for everything. Two options here, so here is where you get to figure what's best for you. For me, I had done a similar kit in a previous car, and I found putting everything inside the bumper to be easiest.

3. Remove the stock fog light bulbs. Save them just in case your HID kit doesn't function.

4. Now is a good time to test all components of your HID kit. Plug the bulbs into the ballasts, and the ballast connections into the OEM fog light connectors. Turn on your lights and make sure both sides ignite and light up. Make sure to keep the bulbs inside the protective plastic cases to prevent touching the bulbs. Fire them and make sure they light, and then shut them off right away to prevent them from warming up, the bulbs get VERY hot. Disconnect everything and set it aside.

5. For the ZHP, I found the best location for the ballast units was inside the crash bumper. It appeared to be the most protected location, and also seemed to be safe from moisture. The pic below shows the available real estate. Not very much...

6. The wiring on my kit was only about 12" long, so I had to stay as close to the fog light connector as possible. Therefore, I had to make room. Looking at the pic above, you'll see that the crash bumper doesn't have a lot of space outside of the horn, and just inside the horn is the hole for the large bumper attachment bolts. So, I decided to relocate the horns and then put the ballasts in their place. So, remove the horns and then remove the brackets they mount to. The following pics show some progress.

JupiterBMW
06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
7. From here, its time to figure how to reattach the horns. Things to keep in mind. They have to be close enough to still reach the connectors on the front of the car. They also have to fit somewhere stable (bolt to the bumper is ideal). Lastly, when you reinstall the bumper, they cannot get in the way of anything else on the car, so you have to make sure that won't happen. If necessary, test fit your bumper to make sure it'll still slide fully into place with the relocated horns. I chose to use one of the holes on the outer edge of the crash bumper. I had to bend the bracket a little to make it fit, but the connector is still plenty close to where it was, they're out of the way, and the connection is nice and solid. Pics below show this.

8. Once the horn is moved, now there is plenty of space for the placement of the HID ballast units. Granted, this worked well for me because the ballast units fit perfectly inside the crash bumper. If yours don't fit, you'll have to adapt this DIY. But I digress, I placed mine here. Its very important to clean all dirt from the crash bumper to ensure good attachment. I used Brakleen as it easily removed all dirt and also any oil resides, allowing for good adherence of the double sided adhesive pad. Differing units will attach in different ways. I used the kit supplied double sided adhesive pad and a couple of zip ties in addition to ensure a solid mounting. MORE than secure for a long time. Pic below...

JupiterBMW
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
9. Ok, now we're getting close... Seeing as how you tested all the components in step 4, you can just install and connect everything. Carefully, without touching the glass, install the bulbs in the housing. Just for reference, the bulb size is 9006 for the ZHP fog lights. Once the bulbs are secure, connect the bulb connectors to the ballast wiring, and then the ballast connection that goes to the OEM fog connector on the car. Typically, the wiring is setup so that you can't screw it up. Anyway, plug everything in. Pic below.

10. Given the opportunity, I would then wrap the connectors for the bulb as they are down a little lower and could be exposed to rain. In addition, it helps to tidy up the wiring job. As you can see, I also chose to run my wires behind the fog lights, keeping it a little cleaner. Once that was done, use a couple more zip ties to secure the wiring. You will also note, that once this is all done, the connector that goes to the OEM connector on the car is just about in the same location as the bulb, perfect!

11. Once that is all done, nothing left to do but put the bumper back on, reconnect the horns and fog light connectors, and enjoy!

You should now be enjoying your new lights, which hopefully look something like the following. Here are my results...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGU2CK1eZfw

Avetiso
06-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Pretty sure the bumper is aluminum, not steel.

Great work!

JupiterBMW
06-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes, the bumper is aluminum.

danewilson77
06-04-2013, 03:50 AM
Well done Joop.

Dave_B
06-04-2013, 04:58 AM
2 things.

Did you use projectors for the fog lights? I kept reading you should as I'm contemplating this very mod myself. But I didn't think there would be a need for the projectors.

Also, where did you get your kid? I've got the yellow fog light lenses now, and debating what 'color' HID bulbs to get.

328ioc
06-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Well done as usual.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
06-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Awesome write up! Did this over the weekend myself, and it would have been quite a bit easier to remove the bumper! :)

UdubBadger
06-04-2013, 05:56 AM
very cool Jon

JupiterBMW
06-04-2013, 06:33 AM
2 things.

Did you use projectors for the fog lights? I kept reading you should as I'm contemplating this very mod myself. But I didn't think there would be a need for the projectors.

Also, where did you get your kid? I've got the yellow fog light lenses now, and debating what 'color' HID bulbs to get.
To answer your questions, no I didn't use projectors. Totally unnecessary in my opinion... As for my kit, I got them from www.xenonking.com. I used the McCulloch brand on their site before and that's what I wanted, but the VisionPro kit was just as well built, and cheaper, so I'm happy. I wanted the yellow bulbs, so that's what I got. :)

Awesome write up! Did this over the weekend myself, and it would have been quite a bit easier to remove the bumper! :)
Yeah, seriously, silly to do this without removing it... I did the bumper removal DIY, so use that if you choose to tackle the job, its really not hard at all!

Dave_B
06-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Jon, I agree. I didn't think the projects were needed for fogs, but wanted additional input. THX.

midlandtech
06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
looks great :like any chance you could get a pic or vid from the drivers seat on to show output?

330i ZHP
06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
next time consider mounting them on top of the intake ducts instead of going through all the work of removing bumper (and every time the aftermarket ballasts die)

330i ZHP
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
and if you want it on the bumper, you can remove fogs with one 8mm screw each and then reach up in that hole and access that whole area

you can also unsecure the lower (triangle panel) (two or three 8mm bolts) and you have complete access to that area as well

ryankokesh
06-04-2013, 04:38 PM
next time consider mounting them on top of the intake ducts instead of going through all the work of removing bumper (and every time the aftermarket ballasts die)

and if you want it on the bumper, you can remove fogs with one 8mm screw each and then reach up in that hole and access that whole area

you can also unsecure the lower (triangle panel) (two or three 8mm bolts) and you have complete access to that area as well

^ That was my strategery. A bit annoying, but my bumper did stay on! (I'm skerred to take it off, on account of the likelihood that I wouldn't get it back on quite right.)

JupiterBMW
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Guys, the bumper comes off in 15 minutes tops. From there, I was then able to work comfortably with the bumper on my workbench. You're over complicating it I think.

Bumper removal is seriously easy... Getting it back on in the same position is just as easy.

As for the aftermarket ballasts, my last kit lasted for at least 3 years until I sold the car, and they're still working as far as I know. My cousin would've complained, trust me. Haha.

Lastly, I'll work on a drivers seat video.

PirateZHP
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I realize I am reviving an old thread, but GEEZUUS that looks good, Joop! I have yellow fogs now, but that looks even better.

JupiterBMW
09-03-2013, 01:39 AM
I realize I am reviving an old thread, but GEEZUUS that looks good, Joop! I have yellow fogs now, but that looks even better.

Wow, thanks for the compliments. Sorry I'm just getting back to you, I haven't been on the Mafia much at all recently.

PirateZHP
09-03-2013, 06:17 AM
No problem. I realize that you are gone for longer periods of time. I absolutely love your car! It is perfect. I have a jet black sedan, and I have already decided that if I get a good chance at getting an AW (especially if it has NB), I will do anything I can to get into it. Perfection!

JupiterBMW
10-09-2013, 03:32 AM
I was driving to CrossFit this morning and decided to drive with just my fog lights on... I then realized I never posted a pic of the light output. So here it is, fog lights only.

I do wish they were a little more yellow, but I'm still very happy. And speaking of that, I should mention that my camera did wash the light color out a bit, in person they do look more yellow than in this pic. But not a DEEP yellow like the kit I had on my last car.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/jdinisio/null_zps4b718bb6.jpg

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

Torxuvin
10-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Nice output. That is as good as my stock headlights are. :facepalm I have always loved the lemans hid+yellow fog combination

Lanister
10-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey Jon,

Does this one have the same fogs as yours? Looks pretty sharp, even during the day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-ZHP-330-ci-coupe-performance-pkg-zhp-cold-weather-pkg-prem-pkg-imola-red-xenon-/290990058325?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43c05beb55&item=290990058325&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

JupiterBMW
10-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Hey Jon,

Does this one have the same fogs as yours? Looks pretty sharp, even during the day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-ZHP-330-ci-coupe-performance-pkg-zhp-cold-weather-pkg-prem-pkg-imola-red-xenon-/290990058325?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43c05beb55&item=290990058325&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

No telling really, as they don't mention the type of fogs. My fogs are by VisionPro though, purchased online.

WOLFN8TR
10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Those look great Jon and nice write up!

feytr
03-12-2014, 10:03 PM
+1

Awesome

JupiterBMW
03-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks gents!

cakM3
03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread. Great job on the writeup Jon!

JupiterBMW
03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks Chuck!