PDA

View Full Version : Rear Window Defrost Grid Repair

BavarianZHP
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Apparently, one of my friends took the liberty of scraping off a huge chunk of my defrost grid including the top/driver side portion - which is the FM radio antenna. I confirmed this with the multimeter - open circuit. :mad

Anyone have any cheap recommendations to repair my grid? There's probably a 2-4 inch break across half a dozen lines...

LivesNearCostco
06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Was he removing tint? The tint on my rear window is a bit too dark and blurry for my taste but I'm afraid removing it will damage the grid lines. Somebody sells some conductive paint you can use to repaint the circuit lines on the glass. Maybe ask at your FLAPS.

BavarianZHP
06-08-2013, 02:11 PM
No, my car has zero tint. I think one of my friends was extra fidgety (I took pics of my car when I first got it and everything was fine - it was obviously damaged by a passenger).

danewilson77
06-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Weird. Obviously he did not watch the preflight video.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

danewilson77
06-08-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5185

kayger12
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Weird. Obviously he did not watch the preflight video.

Yeah, that's a lifetime ejection and probable ass kicking right there.

Sent from the last Next Best Thing via Tt4beta

LivesNearCostco
06-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Maybe someone with metal hair clips doing some head banging in the back seat to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody?

danewilson77
06-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I won't even slow down to let people like that outta my car.

Ryans323i
06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't have a recommendation, and hate to hear this. But I do have a warning. I had really dark tint that needed removal, had it removed by a shop, and the next time I used my rear defrost, my window imploded. Glass everywhere. I'm connecting the dots here, never knew for sure that the wires were damaged. (I never listen to the radio in my car.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BavarianZHP
06-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that's a lifetime ejection and probable ass kicking right there.

Sent from the last Next Best Thing via Tt4beta

+1, I only have suspects at the moment - no definitive evidence of the culprit, but I'm ready to lay the smackith downith.

I don't have a recommendation, and hate to hear this. But I do have a warning. I had really dark tint that needed removal, had it removed by a shop, and the next time I used my rear defrost, my window imploded. Glass everywhere. I'm connecting the dots here, never knew for sure that the wires were damaged. (I never listen to the radio in my car.)

Woah! That's crazy. I've never heard anything like that happen. If my glass explodes, I'm really going to be infuriated :guns.

BavarianZHP
06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Permatex-15067-Quick-Grid-Rear-Window-Defogger-Repair-Kit-/370820958947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5656a6cae3&vxp=mtr

Funny. One of the reviewers said their window shattered after repairing their defrost grids - was that you Ryan?? OMG.

danewilson77
06-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Yes. Ryan.

Ryans323i
06-09-2013, 05:41 AM
I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Permatex-15067-Quick-Grid-Rear-Window-Defogger-Repair-Kit-/370820958947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5656a6cae3&vxp=mtr

Funny. One of the reviewers said their window shattered after repairing their defrost grids - was that you Ryan?? OMG.

Wasn't me. I never tried to repair the lines, as I never noticed they were damaged. It was only a few days after the tint removal that I used the defrost and had the implosion.

Fwiw, more info for readers: Had window tint removed by a auto detail shop. Within a week or two, I used the defrost for the first time. During that week or two period, I never listened to the radio or noticed the lines were damaged. And still, cannot say for sure that the lines were damaged. I started my car, one cold morning, the car ran for 20-30 mins with defrost on the entire time. It wasn't until 5-30 mins later, the rear glass imploded. I'm not sure of the time because I didn't see it happen, but I remember hearing a "pop" shortly after parking the car.