PDA

View Full Version : Maybe goodbye? What's mine worth?

goofiefoot
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
I know I've fallen off here for a while. Our daughter is just over a year old, work's been crazy, and I'm just not as in love with my ZHP as I used to be. There. I said it. Let's move on.

With this year's new 3-series model out, I've seen our KBB values plummet, but I have to assume the ZHP still has its own value to the right buyer. The Imola/Natural Brown combo is unique, and I have all service records from me and the original owner. Here are the current specs:

65850 miles (as of today)
ZHP Package (of course)
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Less than 9000 miles on Kumho Ecsta 4x All Seasons
BMW Aux input in ash tray
BavAuto All Weather Floor Mats (still have original carpeted mats)
Khoalty All Black Grills (still have original factory grills)
60k-mile coolant service with all new belts, pulleys, hoses, fluids
New valve cover gasket
A few minor dings and scrapes, but still in really terrific shape

Retail is currently about $15.5k :(

If I were to sell (and I'm not saying I'm ready), what is a realistic expectation?

rguti153
06-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I would of bought it for 15500 for sure

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I think you could try 16.5k. Depends on the cars condition.

BimmerWill
06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Are you in a hurry to part with it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ELCID86
06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
I paid $12k for an '04 OB/Tan w/ 72k mi on it in Apr. (Glad to give you the same for this one!) That said you may get $14.5-15k depending on condition, location of buyer and how bad someone wants it. Did I miss Transmission type?

goofiefoot
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Are you in a hurry to part with it?

Nope. But I would consider it for the right price.

I paid $12k for an '04 OB/Tan w/ 72k mi on it in Apr. (Glad to give you the same for this one!) That said you may get $14.5-15k depending on condition, location of buyer and how bad someone wants it. Did I miss Transmission type?

6-speed. It's in my signature, but that might not be showing up for everyone.

Tnhl1989
06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm sure you can get more than kbb pricing for you. Glws :)

BavarianZHP
06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Sad to hear another one go... But change is good. 65k miles (lowish), up-to-date maintenance. You have a few great things going for you that I think should bump up the price:

Imola Red - considered rare in the E46 world
Nat Brown leather - great interior, will demand a premium over anything else really...
6 speed - will attract buyers
premium and cold weather packages - practically fully loaded as it comes with all of the packages.

I wouldn't be surprised if you sold it for $18k. Your car is rare. For 15.5k EAG will pick it up, clean her up, and charge 18-19k...

EDIT: Also you have all service records and are the original owner. Silver cube? Nav?

Barefoot-ZHP
06-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I traded my 06 ZHP Coupe with 57k 18 mos ago because I felt that it was getting older and was afraid it would lose more value. I had the car almost 3 years and only lost $1500 on what I had paid 3 yrs earlier. I traded it in at Carmax too believe it or not. If the Nav didn't have some missing pixels I would have gotten the full purchase price for the car on trade in.
I originally bought the ZHP at a VW dealer who had no idea what it was and I happen to be on the lot when they took it in on trade so I got a good deal on it.
Back to the Point, I bought an 08 335i Sedan because I was drunk on the Twin Turbo Test Drive, the turbos are addicting, and when they offered me what I had paid 3 years earlier for the car, I took it as a sign and bought the car. I felt at the time, I had gotten a decent deal on the 08 as it was about 3k cheaper than what I had been seeing for cars with 24k miles on them.
18 mos later I regret that I ever sold my ZHP, My 335i now has 36k on it, I have replaced the water pump, the door handles, the rear diff is leaking, I am having transmission issues and I just don't feel that the e90 is even close to an e46 ZHP in build quality. Not to mention the dreaded turbo issues, and HPFP that has been replaced already. This car drinks gas too, 17 around town maybe 26 on the highway. My ZHP got 24 around town and 30 on the highway.
Thankfully I bought the Carmax Extended Warranty and my BIL is the Service Manager there or I would be going ballistic.
My point is, you know what you have, you know where it stands, is new really better?
I have come to the conclusion that if it doesn't have a dip stick, I don't want it.

illirep
06-26-2013, 07:42 PM
In my opinion, with this color combo and the low mileage, the car is worth $18k to an enthusiast buyer that is not on a budget. That is assuming the maintenance is current, IE cooling system refresh, control arm bushings, spark plugs, etc.

I should note that this is what the market would bear in the Northeast. Not sure what the market is in Texas.

Bill

goofiefoot
06-27-2013, 06:03 AM
EDIT: Also you have all service records and are the original owner. Silver cube? Nav?

I am the second owner, but purchased it face-to-face from the original. Black cube, no nav.

In my opinion, with this color combo and the low mileage, the car is worth $18k to an enthusiast buyer that is not on a budget. That is assuming the maintenance is current, IE cooling system refresh, control arm bushings, spark plugs, etc.

I have not done the control arm bushings, but they are still nice and tight. I don't drive the thing hard. I did replace the plugs when I did the cooling system. It's also good to note that I keep the car in a garage both at home and work, as did the previous owner.

onepercent
06-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Definitely a very nice car but some of these estimates may be a little optimistic. I bought my ZHP coupe, similarly equipped and similar mileage, with 8 brand new tires (summer/winter) and 2 sets of wheels, for $15,900. That was 4 years ago.

Best thing you can do is list it on enthusiast sites and be patient. Over time, someone who is willing to pay a premium for a low mileage Imola sedan will come along. Good luck!

S85FTW
06-27-2013, 06:59 AM
This is the KBB for that exact car here in CT.

That price I am sorry to say is very very optimistic. I ran into this challenge trying to sell my zhp a year ago. I too thought a zhp kept in great condition inside and out would command top dollar for the bmw enthusiast. At the time of sale, my zhp KBB'd at $15,500. I tried selling it for $14,000 with mods, $13000 without. However, the responses I was getting from fellow enthusiasts that were interested in the vehicle, would make comments such as, "why should I get an 04 zhp for x amount of dollars when I can spend the same amount and get an 02 M3, etc. The car has entered an age where you will not get blue book value for it, but the next car you purchase wont be for blue book value either, as it worked out when I bought my M5.

Just a simple search of that price range of cars nearby and I was able to find 80,000 mile E36 M3s, and 75,000 mile 335i's, both being offered as a sedan and having similar output, you would have to find the right buyer for the car which can be harder in this day. Also, I dont buy the rareness of Imola on the zhp's (your interior yes but exterior no). Just look at how many imola's are on here vs any other color.

Katu
06-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I traded my 06 ZHP Coupe with 57k 18 mos ago because I felt that it was getting older and was afraid it would lose more value. I had the car almost 3 years and only lost $1500 on what I had paid 3 yrs earlier. I traded it in at Carmax too believe it or not. If the Nav didn't have some missing pixels I would have gotten the full purchase price for the car on trade in.
I originally bought the ZHP at a VW dealer who had no idea what it was and I happen to be on the lot when they took it in on trade so I got a good deal on it.
Back to the Point, I bought an 08 335i Sedan because I was drunk on the Twin Turbo Test Drive, the turbos are addicting, and when they offered me what I had paid 3 years earlier for the car, I took it as a sign and bought the car. I felt at the time, I had gotten a decent deal on the 08 as it was about 3k cheaper than what I had been seeing for cars with 24k miles on them.
18 mos later I regret that I ever sold my ZHP, My 335i now has 36k on it, I have replaced the water pump, the door handles, the rear diff is leaking, I am having transmission issues and I just don't feel that the e90 is even close to an e46 ZHP in build quality. Not to mention the dreaded turbo issues, and HPFP that has been replaced already. This car drinks gas too, 17 around town maybe 26 on the highway. My ZHP got 24 around town and 30 on the highway.
Thankfully I bought the Carmax Extended Warranty and my BIL is the Service Manager there or I would be going ballistic.
My point is, you know what you have, you know where it stands, is new really better?
I have come to the conclusion that if it doesn't have a dip stick, I don't want it.

Thanks for the honest review, very insightful!

OP: It's so hard to say.. like others have said if you're not in a rush that is the best approach.

I too have an 11 month old daughter and I can kind of relate to your feelings. However I still get a smile every time I drove the ZHP. I plan to keep mine for the long haul.

webster
06-27-2013, 10:16 AM
if you're not in a hurry to sell, set the price well above what you think you would buy it for in a buyer's shoes. someone will pony up eventually, otherwise you're still driving an awesome car.