PDA

View Full Version : Windshield crack repair

jsfbmw
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
While on the highway early evening I heard a "bam" on my windshield. A quick glance didn't reveal anything notable. In the morning I noticed a small crack above the wiper on the passenger side. It's barely visible from outside the car, but can be seen from inside.

From outside:

From inside:

It looks like it can be repaired. Opinions? Can anyone in the central NJ area recommend a glass repair place or contact. Thanks.

Oli77
07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Look at your state laws. In Kentucky, windshield replacements are free.

johnrando
07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Def check w ur insurance. In most cases, they will pay to fix the crack, and use Safelight or some company like that, and it won't hurt ur policy.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Stu
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Looks repairable to me only as long as it has not reached the edge of the windshield. If it extended to the edge, then you'll need a new windshield. Insurance should cover it + deductible.

Don't let them use Safelite. Use Glass Doctor. They only use OEM parts. You'll get either PPG or Pilkington, whichever happens to be in stock. If you find a BMW dealer with a cheap windshield (some of them across the nation you might find to be only $200! Just gotta look carefully), Glass Doctor has no problem ordering it from that dealer for you. Safelite won't do that. They refuse to do it from any other dealer that isn't in their local program.

Safelite uses their in-house brand, which is supposedly made from out-of-spec molds. Rumor has it they purchase the molds from factories that are discarding them. Don't know the truth behind it, but it's all too common to hear about warped or ill-fitting SGC-branded glass.

Whitexi
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
If its not larger than a $1 bill they will repair it.

With that said I would not want it repaired, it IS NOT INVISIBLE. It is only to stop it from spreading. My gf had two chips, that were star like repaired a year apart. They are still there and luckily not in driving view. Still its really annoying, and I see it every time in in the car.

Second if you have the glass replaced. Being that your car is am 06 you have a RLS lens (rain light sensor) so wherever you get the glass changed tell them you want to see the RLS lens and inspect it (it should be on the glass already) for bubbles etc. I had the glass replaced on my E46 and asked if the RLS lens is on the glass and they said yes it is. I look at it after its done and its got bubbles in between it and the glass. It still worked but it was ugly looking.

danewilson77
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
It needs to be replaced. That's going to run when it gets cold out.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

BavarianZHP
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
It's surprisingly difficult to repair glass. My parents had a crack of similar size and it spread despite the professional repair. It took years, but eventually they had to replace it. Granted they have a old car so I'm not sure what difference in repairability there is between modern and more antiquated glass is.

jsfbmw
07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks everyone. Guess I will contact my insurance company and see what they say. Clearly something needs to be done right away. Will post update.

billyjack
07-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't know much about glass but I've gathered over the years that small chips are easier to repair (seal) than cracks like that. Basically filling them in and sealing so they don't spread. My current car came with a small chip that was sealed and it hasn't grown since I've had it. Like Dane said when the cold weather hits the glass will shrink and expand which can stress the cracked area.

Anyway its my personal preference to try a repair first, as I would much rather keep the original OE windshield. I've seen too many issues arrive with replacements. OEM replacements should be a safe bet but its in the hands of the installer.

ranger
07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I repaired multiple cracks in my 325i and my ZHP - seemed to be targets for rocks on the interstate. I had good luck with repairs. Course, this is GA and does not get as cold as some areas (low about 19F). Gets plenty hot though!