PDA

View Full Version : Bumper crack repair?

Stigissimo
07-12-2013, 11:22 AM
When I bought my car, one of the things about it was that the front bumper was had a small crack, and the splitters were pretty scratched. The bonehead who owned the car before me must have hit a curb or something. So I know I have a couple of options that I can look into: the easiest would be buying a new bumper and getting it painted. I can get one primed from turner for 460 and painted for maybe an extra 200. So that's not happening anytime in the near future.

My other idea was to repair the crack myself, and cover my damaged splitters with club sport splitters.

So my question is: is it possible to/ how can I fix this crack?

The lower grille is also not clipped in on top - in the future id like to take the bumper off and see if it can be fixed. I dont know if you can see the gap:

[Insert witty phrase about Tapatalk here]

ELCID86
07-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd recommend trying the repair. Probably need to drop the bumper. Epoxy? Who was it that had the bumper repair at Dane's? Still holding?

CF splitters will add some character and cover those booboos.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

Stigissimo
07-12-2013, 11:58 AM
plus, clubsport splitters look bauce. :thumbsup

fredo
07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
It doesn't look too bad to me. What about using touch up paint ? The one you buy at the dealer.
You may need to look into bondo first.

Stigissimo
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah bondo was the first thing that came to mind. If I know I can repair the crack and make it look good, I'll definitely do that. It'll be cheaper and I have an excuse to get splitters!

[Insert witty phrase about Tapatalk here]

Avetiso
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Take the bumper off. With a soldering iron, fuse the bumper together from the inside. Make sure the outside of the bumper lines up before you fuse. You gotta do it quick so heat doesn't screw up the paint on the other side.

Not the best fix, but should be pretty good until you respray, if that's the plan.