PDA

View Full Version : Which springs?

saace7
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I am going to be ordering a shock/strut and spring kit and can't decide which springs to go with. Anyone out there with either the H & R or Eibach want to chime in?

These are the two I have picked from.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22144-e46-323325328330ici-bilstein-b12-sportline-sport-suspension-package.aspx

and

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3645-e46-323325328330ici-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package.aspx

From what I have gathered the H & R are possibly a little stiffer, rougher ride while the eibach provide the same stiff handling while being a little softer on the ride?

I am trying to get a lower ride and improved handling over stock. While I don't mind a stiffer ride I want to save as much ride comfort as possible.

johnrando
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I hear good things about both. I decided on H&R and like mine. Can't comment specifically on Eibach.

saace7
07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I hear good things about both. I decided on H&R and like mine. Can't comment specifically on Eibach.

did you need camber plates or any adjustable links for your lowered ride? Or was an alignment good enough?

johnrando
07-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Camber plates not needed. Turner recommended adjustable end links, so I got those. I also replaced the RSMs while I was in there. You can get tower reinforcement plates for the front but they are not necessary. And yes, get an alignment after.

Newjack
07-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I am going to be ordering a shock/strut and spring kit and can't decide which springs to go with. Anyone out there with either the H & R or Eibach want to chime in?

These are the two I have picked from.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22144-e46-323325328330ici-bilstein-b12-sportline-sport-suspension-package.aspx

and

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3645-e46-323325328330ici-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package.aspx

From what I have gathered the H & R are possibly a little stiffer, rougher ride while the eibach provide the same stiff handling while being a little softer on the ride?

I am trying to get a lower ride and improved handling over stock. While I don't mind a stiffer ride I want to save as much ride comfort as possible.

OP let me ask you a couple questions first.

Do you live in an area with a lot of potholes? Lots of aggressive inclines like a city with lots of sharp driveways or speed bumps?

Do you plan to track the car?

I recently just upgraded my zhp sedan to with an H&R touring cup kit. It offers about .75' drop in the front and a .25 inch drop in the rear. After installing I can say with absolute confidence that my car is lower than the kit advertises, especially in the rear. From a profile view the wheels look almost completely flush with the car, giving it all of the low that I wanted without compromising my car as a daily driver. You see I didn't want to go with the sport version of the H&R cup kit because I didn't want to compromise my ability to go over speed bumps or potholes. ( I commute to work in DC) so being able to drive the car without stiff vibrations running down my spine was important.

The H&R springs (and shocks too I think) are progressive. This means that under normal driving conditions the car will feel like stock. But when you throw the car around and really hit a turn, you will notice the lack of body roll and how tight the handling is. Ideal for my needs, since I daily drive my car and don't want to track it.

As far as I know bilstein and H&R are the same company, so their quality is relatively the same. I can't vouch for the other suspension setup you listed but I'm sure some other guys here can give you some insight. But as far as my H&R touring cup kit, I love it.

If I weren't on my phone and at work I would give you some links and other info but I can only do so much.

I made a thread a little while back when I decided on what suspension setup I was going to go with. I think you can find it in my build thread in my sig.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

saace7
07-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Camber plates not needed. Turner recommended adjustable end links, so I got those. I also replaced the RSMs while I was in there. You can get tower reinforcement plates for the front but they are not necessary. And yes, get an alignment after.

I've got the reinforcement plates on the front and will be doing the RSM with the reinforcement on those as well. Ill inquire with turner about those end links also.
thanks for the info. I guess I going to sit here and flip a coin for a while to see what springs I get. :P

saace7
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
OP let me ask you a couple questions first.

Do you live in an area with a lot of potholes? Lots of aggressive inclines like a city with lots of sharp driveways or speed bumps?

Do you plan to track the car?

I recently just upgraded my zhp sedan to with an H&R touring cup kit. It offers about .75' drop in the front and a .25 inch drop in the rear. After installing I can say with absolute confidence that my car is lower than the kit advertises, especially in the rear. From a profile view the wheels look almost completely flush with the car, giving it all of the low that I wanted without compromising my car as a daily driver. You see I didn't want to go with the sport version of the H&R cup kit because I didn't want to compromise my ability to go over speed bumps or potholes. ( I commute to work in DC) so being able to drive the car without stiff vibrations running down my spine was important.

The H&R springs (and shocks too I think) are progressive. This means that under normal driving conditions the car will feel like stock. But when you throw the car around and really hit a turn, you will notice the lack of body roll and how tight the handling is. Ideal for my needs, since I daily drive my car and don't want to track it.

As far as I know bilstein and H&R are the same company, so their quality is relatively the same. I can't vouch for the other suspension setup you listed but I'm sure some other guys here can give you some insight. But as far as my H&R touring cup kit, I love it.

If I weren't on my phone and at work I would give you some links and other info but I can only do so much.

I made a thread a little while back when I decided on what suspension setup I was going to go with. I think you can find it in my build thread in my sig.

The car is my DD. The road conditions around me aren't to bad and the roads that are, are easily avoidable. I live in Louisiana so there is a lot of flat ground. The city would be the only issue but they are actually doing a good job fixing a lot of the pot holes there.

I read your forum and kind of using it as a little guide to do my suspension.

Which parts were u able to reuse from the old shocks and struts?

I have a list made out:
new shocks/struts
new front upper strut mounts
new front upper/lower spring pads
new rear upper/lower spring pads
new rear shock mounts
new RSM reinforcement plates
new Turner Motorsport Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Limiter Kit (RTAB Shim Kit)
already have powerflex RTAB need to be installed

Newjack
07-26-2013, 07:30 PM
The car is my DD. The road conditions around me aren't to bad and the roads that are, are easily avoidable. I live in Louisiana so there is a lot of flat ground. The city would be the only issue but they are actually doing a good job fixing a lot of the pot holes there.

I read your forum and kind of using it as a little guide to do my suspension.

Which parts were u able to reuse from the old shocks and struts?

I have a list made out:
new shocks/struts
new front upper strut mounts
new front upper/lower spring pads
new rear upper/lower spring pads
new rear shock mounts
new RSM reinforcement plates
new Turner Motorsport Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Limiter Kit (RTAB Shim Kit)
already have powerflex RTAB need to be installed

I was able to reuse the old bump stops and dust boots. Just wash them off and sprayed some armor all on them to bring back a little life into the rubber. They looked fine and did their job.

I bought a kit from ecstuning that had spring pads shock mounts reinforcement plates etc in it that was a good price. Used everything in it.

I went with vorshlag limiters on my zhp with z4m bushings.

saace7
07-27-2013, 06:08 AM
I saw the kit and I'm pretty sure I got all the right stuff picked out. After doing some more research I might end up going with the b12 Pro Kit.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22133-e46-323325328330ici-bilstein-b12-pro-kit-sport-suspension-package.aspx

It seems the sportline might be a little more racier than I want. About a 2'' drop and stiffer ride.

The pro kit is about 1.5" inches and will ride a little smoother but also seems to be better than OEM set up. Which seems to be more up my alley.

330i ZHP
07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
I love the ride with the bilstein pss10 (set to hardest)...with that said - I used to have the H&R with bilstein HD and the ride was very nice, lower by far (than sport on touring)...too low in the rear (something about tourings - they just sit LOW on the rear - no matter what setup)

Please consider a few more $ and get the PSS kit (not the pss10) - you will have adjustment for height in case you are unhappy with how low it drops first time out

sketchyd
07-27-2013, 07:12 AM
I've got Eibach Pro-kit springs in my ///M and couldn't be happier. I've got them paired with Koni yellows and the ride is comparable to stock. Unfortunately, when my housemate and I put them in, we were overeager and just dove in, forgetting to take a before height measurement, but I'd say right about a 1" drop front and rear.

I don't have much seat time on H&Rs but I'd say you're making the right decision with the Eibachs. I've installed several sets of H&Rs now, and I believe the rough ride is from what they call "dead coils" in the spring design. Basically, in order to take up the space when the car is up, and suspension unloaded, H&R decided to put in 2 extra coils closely spaced. However, when loaded, these coils actually sit on another, metal to metal, and I'm sure they must expand somewhat on rebound.

looks like you've got a good list started, but if you're going to replace the front strut hats anyway, the extra $100 or so to upgrade to a decent set of camber plates I think is well worth it. camber is non-adjustable in front from the factory, so having that option is a nice upgrade.

Newjack
07-27-2013, 07:20 AM
camber is non-adjustable in front from the factory, so having that option is a nice upgrade.

I think you mean castor. Camber is adjustable to a certain point on front.

sketchyd
07-27-2013, 07:25 AM
I think you mean castor. Camber is adjustable to a certain point on front.

correct, caster is non-adjustable. and yes camber is to a certain point, but it's about point 3 degrees, not enough IMO.

330i ZHP
07-27-2013, 07:31 AM
anything is adjustable... :)

saace7
07-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Everything I have read says if the drop stays between 1'' and 1.5'' I shouldn't need camber plates. There is enough adjustments able to be made with stock to get it in spec for alignment. Someone correct me if im wrong. I have read this on numerous threads.

This is why I might stick with the pro kit. I just need to find out if its an improvement over a brand new stock OEM set up.

Newjack
07-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Everything I have read says if the drop stays between 1'' and 1.5'' I shouldn't need camber plates. There is enough adjustments able to be made with stock to get it in spec for alignment. Someone correct me if im wrong. I have read this on numerous threads.

This is why I might stick with the pro kit. I just need to find out if its an improvement over a brand new stock OEM set up.

I had to get adjustable control arms and camber plates when I did my suspension.

Hornung418
07-27-2013, 06:44 PM
*Endlinks

Not control arms.

From a GS3, this was sent.

Newjack
07-27-2013, 06:59 PM
*Endlinks

Not control arms.

Not endlinks. Rear control arms. ;)

Hornung418
07-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Adjustable rear control arms? What brand did you choose for them?

saace7
07-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I might get the end links but I am pretty sure I'll be fine with out the camber plates.

Newjack
07-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Adjustable rear control arms? What brand did you choose for them?

I think it was FPC or something. Whatever brand tire tack offers. They work just fine.