PDA

View Full Version : Repel Brake Dust with Armorall Wheel Protectant

TomTomTuning
07-30-2013, 04:34 AM
After seeing the recent thread about Hyde's Serum Rustopper, I figured Id share one of my recent findings for another issue I've been dealing with.

Since I got my ZHP I've been fighting with excess amounts of brake dust, it only takes a couple days for my wheels to get coated in brake dust. The brake pads are fairly new so it would be a pity to just waste a set of perfectly good pads, so I've just simply dealt with it.

Originally I was thinking about trying a wheel wax but I heard it did nothing for brake dust. I was watching an episode of /Drive Clean (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886) and in one of the episode Larry test's Armorall Wheel Protectant on a BMW X5M and I was really amazed at what I seen, so I stopped by AutoZone and picked up a bottle. So far it's working great, it's been 3 days and my wheels still look completely clean.

This weekend I will do a comparison test where I only apply the protectant to the wheels on one side of the car, to compare to bare wheels on the other side. I will post photos for comparison.

/Drive Clean Episode: http://youtu.be/51laWUM6k_4

Product Details: www.armorall.com/products/wheel-protectant/?select=wheels

http://tgm123.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/Armor-All-Wheel-Protectant-Aerosol-7oz.jpg

EDIT: Side by Side comparison photos have been posted!!!
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10581-Repel-Brake-Dust-with-Armorall-Wheel-Protectant&p=295296#post295296

fredo
07-30-2013, 05:43 AM
In for comparison pics. I got "lucky" with my 2006 BMW. The brake pads needed to be replaced after 2,000 miles of ownership (bought the car with 65,000 miles, I believe it still had the original pads).

I asked to replace with ceramic pads, and the problem was gone.

TomTomTuning
07-30-2013, 06:10 AM
In for comparison pics. I got "lucky" with my 2006 BMW. The brake pads needed to be replaced after 2,000 miles of ownership (bought the car with 65,000 miles, I believe it still had the original pads).

I asked to replace with ceramic pads, and the problem was gone.
Yea, I'll eventually replace them with ceramic pads.

328ioc
07-30-2013, 06:13 AM
I am in to see the comparo pics as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Stewbie
07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Yup. I have brake dust problems too. Anxiously awaiting the results of the test.

sillieidiot
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
i've already used that. it works ok. really it doesn't do anything in terms of minimizing how much dust gets on the wheels. what it really does is that it makes it easy to remove the dust.

BCS_ZHP
07-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Since I got my ZHP I've been fighting with excess amounts of brake dust, it only takes a couple days for my wheels to get coated in brake dust. The brake pads are fairly new so it would be a pity to just waste a set of perfectly good pads, so I've just simply dealt with it.

[/IMG]

Tom,
Used to think the same way but after the umpteenth time repeatedly getting all the dust off the wheels, plus having to take the wheels off to clean the backside, and them having them dirty a day later, I finally tried a set of ceramics. And once I did, wow, we swapped the pads on all of the cars.
Bruce

PHZ
07-31-2013, 06:29 AM
2 comments/questions.

1- would love to see pix as well

2- I use Quick n Slick by Croftgate on my ZHP. Less accumulation, and the dust that does accumulate wipes off effortlessly and without having to use any liquid medium/cleaner

Ok, 3 comments

3- am I incorrect, or are the 2 negative factors in sing ceramics squealing and inferior stopping power to OEM?

fredo
07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
I had the ceramic pads for 10,000 miles or so. No squealing for me. They stop fine. But, I don't drive aggressively.

BCS_ZHP
07-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Regarding comment #3:
- many pads will squeal if you don't use the anti-squeal gel in the proper places on the backs of the pads; use the gel and no squeal
- ceramics may have less initial bite but that can be countered by using slotted and/or drilled rotors (have ceramics on the x5 with stock blank rotors and no degradation in braking noticed while brake dust eliminated)
- ceramics do not handle aggressive braking well, they can't dissipate the heat fast enough and will fade on you if you track your car
- for normal daily driving and an occasional spirited session on the back roads, ceramics are fine

WOLFN8TR
07-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Armorall huh who would of thought. My experience with Armorall is its a major dust/dirt magnet. Interesting.

TomTomTuning
07-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Armorall huh who would of thought. My experience with Armorall is its a major dust/dirt magnet. Interesting.

I'm not a Armorall fan but so far this product is working great. It's day 4 and the wheels are still looking great. I'll wash the car Sunday and begin the comparison photos.

WOLFN8TR
07-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Well sheet I might have to give it a try then. Thanks...

MrMaico
08-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I used to use this stuff before I got ceramics and it definitely helped keep the dust off for me. It seemed to last about a week before it would start to collect dust again. It also makes the wheels easier to clean the next time and i also noticed it gave the stock M135s a bit more of a brighter silver look.

I haven't had any squeal issues with my ceramics and I didn't use any kind of lube/anti-squeal on assembly. I did make sure to clean everything really well before putting things back together though. I didn't notice a big difference in stopping power but I'd like to drive something with stock pads again and I'm sure I'd probably notice more of a difference then.

NorCal-Dimitri
08-02-2013, 11:46 AM
On my way to autozone...

fredo
08-02-2013, 12:10 PM
To buy ceramics or Armorall Wheel Protectant ?

NorCal-Dimitri
08-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Amorall. How much more do ceramics run compared to standard oem pads?

MrMaico
08-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Ceramics. Unless you need the max stopping power of the oem type pad. I still have a couple of cans of the Armorall stuff sitting around from before I installed my ceramics......haven't touched the stuff since I did my brakes. So nice not having to clean brake dust all the time.

TomTomTuning
08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Yea, I'll use this Amorall stuff until I swap brake pads. The SO asked that I clean her car today ( it really needed it). So the ZHP did not get washed today, the comparison photos will have to wait.

TomTomTuning
08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I finally washed the car yesterday, I was waiting till I completed a few projects before cleaning her up.
I tell you what though, the wheels look great considering I didn't wash them for nearly a month.

Anyway, I've sprayed the wheel protectant on the passenger side wheels, and left the driver side wheels bare.
I will post an updated in a week.

Washburn
08-26-2013, 07:46 AM
To me, what has worked best is poorboys' wheel sealant 2 coats and then a wax layer (can be quick spray wax or any other) - it doesn't REPEL brake dust, but one can just wipe it/hose it off so easily without even agitating.

To me personally, going to brake pads with less dust but have lest bite/stopping power than OEM is not a good trade. Applying a sealant to wheels and cleaning them more often is best.

justinco
08-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Hmm, might have to pick some of this up for my Miata that has Hawk pads on it (lots of dust). Haven't noticed too much dust on my ZHP wheels yet.

TomTomTuning
09-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I finally washed the car yesterday, I was waiting till I completed a few projects before cleaning her up.
I tell you what though, the wheels look great considering I didn't wash them for nearly a month.

Anyway, I've sprayed the wheel protectant on the passenger side wheels, and left the driver side wheels bare.
I will post an updated in a week.

I went away for a week (drove a different car), so this is about 10 days of driving.

You can see there's some dirt on the wheel that I used the protectant on, mostly spots but no where near as much as the bare wheel.
This could be a result of inconsistent coverage of the spray or perhaps puddling of water from when I washed the wheel but either way, you can see here this stuff really works.
Also, check out the brake dust on the tire(s), you can see that the wheel's are repelling the dust but not the (bare) tires...

Passenger Side: (protected)

http://i.imgur.com/6gI5VSth.jpg

Driver Side: (bare)

http://i.imgur.com/SHyCVfPh.jpg

ELCID86
09-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Impressive. I'm going to pick up a can.

danewilson77
09-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Yep. Pretty striking comparison.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

TomTomTuning
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM

My local Auto Zone had them on sale last week. $9.99 for the value size (big) bottles. I bought their remaining stock. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

trancenation
09-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Good information Tom! I think I will try this out pretty soon!

fredo
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a believer now !

WOLFN8TR
09-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Wow that is pretty impressive. What if you get some on the brake rotors do they squeak?

TomTomTuning
09-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Wow that is pretty impressive. What if you get some on the brake rotors do they squeak?
I'm pretty sure I got some on the brake rotor, no squeaking... I'm sure the brake pads clean them up fairly quickly, like rust.

BimmerWill
09-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Good review. I'm gonna grab some soon. These M68's seem to draw the dust to them a lot more than my stock wheels.

Sent from S4

TomTomTuning
09-10-2013, 09:43 PM
The bare wheel is getting dirtier by the day, while the protected wheel still looks the same... CRAZY!
I'll upload more photos in a few days.

ELCID86
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
So Amazon has Armor All 78482 Wheel Protectant - 7 oz. for
$6.97 http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/marketing/prime/check-prime-45x13._V192552839_.gif

Import :-)??