PDA

View Full Version : Fender Liner (Wheel Arch Plastic)

EmDeeAr
07-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey all,

Do either the front bumper or the side fenders have to be removed or manipulated in any way to install the "wheel arch" fender liners?

I'm referring to #'s 1 and 8 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=51_3278&hg=51&fg=75

In regards to #8, which one do I get? Do I go with the part numbers under the "Aerodynamics Package" heading? I feel like these part #'s are specifically for the ZHP "body kit", but I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you much!

Avetiso
07-31-2013, 05:04 PM
ZHP = Aerodynamics package.

I don't think you need to remove the bumper or the fenders, but raise the car and remove the wheel. It'll make it much easier.

EmDeeAr
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM

I don't think you need to remove the bumper or the fenders, but raise the car and remove the wheel. It'll make it much easier.

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply!

Stu
08-01-2013, 05:11 AM

Yep, you can get to them with a lot of twisting, turning, and cursing with the wheel on, but muuuuch easier with the wheel off.

When I first got my car one of my fender liners was misisng all of its screws. It somehow never fell out over the course of about 1.5 years.

toddness
08-01-2013, 06:37 AM
I think you may need to remove/reinstall the side skirts as part of the process.

danewilson77
08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I think you may need to remove/reinstall the side skirts as part of the process.

No.

toddness
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM
On the coupe's the expanding rivet's #15 in diagram appear to be under the side skirt. Guess I am going to have to double check.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=41_1098&hg=41&fg=10

danewilson77
08-01-2013, 02:25 PM
On the coupe's the expanding rivet's #15 in diagram appear to be under the side skirt. Guess I am going to have to double check.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=41_1098&hg=41&fg=10

You may be correct for coupe.

BCS_ZHP
08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
No, #15 while not under the side skirt is a PITA. The easiest way is to just punch the center of the expanding rivet thru and hope you can find it after you remove the fender liner. So best to buy a few of that specific #15 expanding rivet from the dealer before you tackle this job (ask me how I know).:facepalm

toddness
08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
No, #15 while not under the side skirt is a PITA. The easiest way is to just punch the center of the expanding rivet thru and hope you can find it after you remove the fender liner. So best to buy a few of that specific #15 expanding rivet from the dealer before you tackle this job (ask me how I know).:facepalm

Thank you. I bought the liner and rivets a year ago, looked under there and could have sworn it was under the skirt and wasn't about to play with anything painted, one of my core beliefs-lol, so I took the stuff back to the dealer until it became absolutely necessary to replace. Don't ask me why :twohandfacepalm