PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question on pads and polish.....

MrMaico
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
So I just picked up a Meguiars G110V2 poilsher and some orange and grey LC CCS pads along with Meguiars M105 and M205 and I have a question......

I am working on my Imola ZHP that looks like it may have never had a full paint correction. I have some spots on the roof, tiny spots that look like they may have been from tree sap or something. They're not very deep or anything but it seems like I am having to make a lot of passes with the M105/orange pad combo.

Should I maybe be using a more aggressive pad? Being a novice I am worried about going too aggressive. Or should I just keep making multiple passes to get it looking like it should? I did the trunk lid yesterday and it took a half dozen or so passes with the M105/orange combo and then M205/grey but it looks great now. I really need to get it out in the sun now though so I can get a good look at my results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.......Barry

brettbimmer
08-02-2013, 03:11 PM
It sounds like you are on the right track. Through the sound advice of some of our other forum members who are far more versed then I in this, I have successfully used the LC CCS pads (though I used tangerine/orange and blue), and they worked well, but it did take me multiple passes and a bit of time to get the M105 working. I was told that it is important to take slow passes as it is necessary to have the paint, pad, and polish warm so that they will work. I was not working with the spots you are describing, but I did have some small surface scratches. Eventually after multiple (3-4 applications) of 105, they were either removed completely or reduced substantially. I would keep at it with the 105 as it is a fairly light polish anyway, and be sure that the surface is warm from the buffer as you are working with it. I hope this helps. Happy Imola polishing!

ELCID86
08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Make sure you are polishing in the compound for long enough. It takes a few min for it to start breaking down and to be effective. Hard for me to guess on the pad. You may want to try another. The M polish should be enough though.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

MrMaico
08-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys! It sounds like I may not be working each application of polish long enough. I doubt if I was working it long enough to build up much, if any, heat. I'm always too worried about doing damage I think.

It looks like I have most of the spots out now but there are a few left towards the center of the roof. The bright sun really reveals any defects. I thought I had the trunk perfect but even that could use a bit more work with the grey/M205.

Thanks again for the help......Barry

M0nk3y
08-04-2013, 12:13 PM
If you're using too much polish you'll never generate enough heat.

MrMaico
08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
If you're using too much polish you'll never generate enough heat.

Ok thanks......I've just been going off what I see in online videos but I have been using more than shown in some of the videos. Some just show 4 or 5 dots of polish and others show quite a bit more, I've been using the quite a bit more approach. I'll cut it back and try that.

Barry