PDA

View Full Version : (SOLD) HKS Exhaust

derbo
08-03-2013, 02:35 PM
I have my HKS exhaust for sale. This exhaust is no longer in production. I haven't seen one for sale in awhile.

The exhaust tone is pretty quiet and I love it as a daily exhaust.

soundclip from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMSF3O5OS5g

Condition of the exhaust:
The muffler portion has been painted flat black to make it more subtle. There is some minor scratches to the large muffler portion but nothing major. There are no leaks and everything is intact.

The exhaust is already packaged and ready to go.

Package 1:
35lbs
73x18x9

Package 2:
27lbs
65x14x4

I was looking to get $500 + shipping for the exhaust.

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/1766/i0g5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5656/or3i.jpg

Vas
08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Can the black paint be removed ?

BCS_ZHP
08-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Notice the design of this exhaust, it is an optimal design for our cars to create power. Where our OEM system has its first resonator, instead there are 2 separate resonators to help reduce back pressure, basically it keeps it as two separate exhaust gas escapeways longer. Then where our 2nd OEM resonator is located, the 2 separate pipes come together at their first convergence point. You need a convergence point to cause back pressure to create a scavenging effect of exhaust gases. And moving the first convergence point further away from the engine helps reduce heat going back toward the engine, less heat at the engine helps improve power. Then you have a single larger pipe going toward the rear to the muffler. If you look closely at the race cars, this is the exact type of exhaust they have except they don't need a muffler at the end to quiet the sound. Finally you have the large muffler for sound control and to let the exhaust gases expand which eliminates back pressure while exiting via two tips. The two tips are mainly for asthetics, you could do the same via one large exit tip as long as you don't try to constrict it and introduce back pressure again.

I had extensive conversations with Bimmerworld about aftermarket exhaust systems back in mid 2010. While their race cars have custom made exhausts, they said the HKS came closest to replicating what they did with their race cars' custom exhausts. I had an HKS exhaust on a 323 we owned, absolutely loved the power it made and the sound, but unfortunately it would not fit on the 330 that we bought after that 323 so we let it go with the car. I'd love to have Derek's HKS exhaust but my current financial situation prevents it plus a cross country mailing is a bit expensive. Someone on the West Coast should grab this rare and amazing exhaust system, you won't regret it.

Avetiso
08-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I'd do this plus Corsa light...

BCS_ZHP
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
The UUC does not come together anywhere to create a convergence point. Rather it uses smaller diameters inside its 2 resonators and 1 muffler for each bank of the exhaust to create back pressure. From my conversations with Bimmerworld they said that can work but you really need to bring the two separate pipes together at least once to balance any unbalances between the two sides/banks plus to create more of a scavenging effect.

What will be interesting is to see how Derek's track times compare for HKS vs. his new UUC exhaust.

Avetiso
08-03-2013, 06:50 PM
The UUC does not come together anywhere to create a convergence point. Rather it uses smaller diameters inside its 2 resonators and 1 muffler for each bank of the exhaust to create back pressure. From my conversations with Bimmerworld they said that can work but you really need to bring the two separate pipes together at least once to balance any unbalances between the two sides/banks plus to create more of a scavenging effect.

What will be interesting is to see how Derek's track times compare for HKS vs. his new UUC exhaust.
Sounds like it's not worth the work...shame. It'd probably sound badass.

derbo
08-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Can the black paint be removed ?

It can be. However, Bruce mentioned to me that it could damage the ss finish if removed improperly. Even with steel wool, it's possible the finish can be removed.

Thanks Bruce for the explaining. Makes me want to put it back on haha. My car also received a M3 rear end since my last track day so comparison will be hard to determine which variable was the reason.

LivesNearCostco
08-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Ah so tempting... have done intake and tune (Shark), not willing to do headers for now. So all I need is the exhaust (and an engine rebuild in my dereams!). And I'm local. But what would I do with my current stock ZHP exhaust? Does anyone buy those things?

derbo
08-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Ah so tempting... have done intake and tune (Shark), not willing to do headers for now. So all I need is the exhaust (and an engine rebuild in my dereams!). And I'm local. But what would I do with my current stock ZHP exhaust? Does anyone buy those things?

Sell it for cheap? I'm sure someone will snap it up or you can keep a stock one like me.

BCS_ZHP
08-04-2013, 02:27 AM

As far as your stock exhaust, put tape over the open ends to prevent critters from building a nest in there, like bees (ask me how I know), and hang it under your deck so its out of the way. Or if your garage has space, hang it on one of the walls, it'll be a nice conversation starter, lol.

BCS_ZHP
08-04-2013, 02:33 AM
It can be. However, Bruce mentioned to me that it could damage the ss finish if removed improperly. Even with steel wool, it's possible the finish can be removed.

Thanks Bruce for the explaining. Makes me want to put it back on haha. My car also received a M3 rear end since my last track day so comparison will be hard to determine which variable was the reason.

Derek,
I was thinking you had swapped to the LSD rear end since the last track day so not a true apple-to-apples comparison. But if it doesn't sell soon, why not carry the HKS to the track with you next time and do a swap between runs in the paddock to see the difference. If you look at the BW & TMS race cars, they all have 2 separate pipes from the engine until some point aft of the driver, then they converge into one larger pipe. (Recall the first convergence point creates heat, so place it aft of the driver.) Same design as the HKS, coincidence, I think not.

Vas
08-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Any idea what shipping is across country ?

derbo
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Derek,
I was thinking you had swapped to the LSD rear end since the last track day so not a true apple-to-apples comparison. But if it doesn't sell soon, why not carry the HKS to the track with you next time and do a swap between runs in the paddock to see the difference. If you look at the BW & TMS race cars, they all have 2 separate pipes from the engine until some point aft of the driver, then they converge into one larger pipe. (Recall the first convergence point creates heat, so place it aft of the driver.) Same design as the HKS, coincidence, I think not.

I don't think at the current level of modifications I have, an exhaust would make significant time differences.

I had a quote for Bruce around $160 to ship since its so large n heavy. I would expect it to be around there. It's already packaged and ready to go.

Avetiso
08-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Dhu. Eet.

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

Vas
08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I am gone for vacation for the next week. However if it is is not sold when I get back, I will see what it will cost to ship on my companies UPS account

derbo
08-05-2013, 12:59 AM
I am gone for vacation for the next week. However if it is is not sold when I get back, I will see what it will cost to ship on my companies UPS account

The dimensions and weight are in the first post.

I'm almost regretting selling it after Bruce just went on about y pipe technology. One of the best features on the HKS.

But do it! I love the exhaust and would love it go to one of us here.

derbo
08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Bump, I like to get this out of my garage :)

LivesNearCostco
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
soooooo tempting.... Just bought new wheel bearing, need new track tires soon, but... WANT.
Argh. Temptation.

derbo
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
You are local. I work in San Jose so I can always meet you in San Jose area. ;)

BCS_ZHP
08-09-2013, 06:12 PM
soooooo tempting.... Just bought new wheel bearing, need new track tires soon, but... WANT.
Argh. Temptation.

If you don't, you'll second guess this one forever cause you're never going to see another HKS, they stopped making it. I keep rethinking this one over and over, there's absolutely no one else that designed an exhaust like this for our cars -- its per the specs of the race cars for heat dissipation away from the engine and 2 into one pipes for more potential power. But have other more important family issues to attend to right now.

Hornung418
08-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Bruce, you can always get a custome exhaust with a burns stainless merge cone. Right at the headers creates the best source of scavenging power. Then its three inches straight back through a resonator and a muffler of your choosing. Best gains through custom :)

From a GS3, this was sent.

BCS_ZHP
08-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Justin,
Pretty soon and I'm no longer a daily driver of a BMW. Coming your way in the morning, going to look at a used truck in Elkton, I just can't stomach the cost of a new one right now. Sorry for thread jack Derek.
Bruce

Hornung418
08-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Send me a text. I'll be at the junk yard trolling for a new 328 engine harness. Hacked the old one up to make a franken harness...obviously didn't work well lol

Derek...hope you get this sold soon :)

From a GS3, this was sent.

derbo
08-10-2013, 07:54 PM
No worries guys. Hopefully someone realizes they want this ;)

Pip
08-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Now that you've experienced both the HKS and the TSE3 can you compare them from a sound perspective?

derbo
08-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Now that you've experienced both the HKS and the TSE3 can you compare them from a sound perspective?

Sean,

In terms of sound, the HKS seems to have a deeper tone where the TSE3 sounds more like a straight pipe BMW. The HKS is quieter and IMO a great daily exhaust. The TSE3 is alot louder and more track orientated. I don't think I would enjoy the exhaust on a daily.

derbo
08-14-2013, 10:36 AM
no one wants this?!?! :(

LivesNearCostco
08-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I wants! Just being conservative on the purchases, having just ordered front swaybar and replacement front hub. Also in the middle of changing jobs.

QC_ZHP
08-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Want? yes. Responsibly purchase? no.

My cooling system needs the attention. Surprising noone has jumped on it yet, have you posted on e46f?

Avetiso
08-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Derek, I might be a client for local pickup, just gotta get a parts car and see where I stand financially after that.

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

Avetiso
08-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Bruce, or anyone else, can you guys comment on power gains from this exhaust vs Eisenmann?

derbo
08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
IMO power gains will be next to minimal with the exhaust. I don't think you will expect a night n day difference with any exhaust for power.

derbo
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I wants! Just being conservative on the purchases, having just ordered front swaybar and replacement front hub. Also in the middle of changing jobs.

Buy now, worry later. LOL. Just kidding.

Want? yes. Responsibly purchase? no.

My cooling system needs the attention. Surprising noone has jumped on it yet, have you posted on e46f?

I did post on e46f. Most people on east coast don't want to bite the shipping cost.

Avetiso
08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
IMO power gains will be next to minimal with the exhaust. I don't think you will expect a night n day difference with any exhaust for power.
If that's the case, I think I like the sound of the corsa or the eisenmann a little more.

az3579
08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Derek,
You're saying you don't think you'd enjoy the UUC/Corsa exhaust on a daily? Why not?

It's really not bad at all. I personally secretly wish it was a tiny bit louder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

derbo
08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Derek,
You're saying you don't think you'd enjoy the UUC/Corsa exhaust on a daily? Why not?

It's really not bad at all. I personally secretly wish it was a tiny bit louder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Cops around here take note of the louder vehicles. It doesn't help I have tint and no front plate. The exhaust can be a little more for them to stare me down. :) If I had to do it all the time and drive like a stereotype BMW driver, I'm sure I would get a ticket in no time.

As far as the HKS ehxaust goes. Its a great exhaust and I love it, but I wish it was a bit louder for trackdays. It's volume is perfect for daily driving.

zhp43867
08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
PMd :)

derbo
08-17-2013, 02:31 PM
PMd :)

I don't see a PM. Did you send one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

derbo
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Still for sale. Ahem John!

LivesNearCostco
08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Still thinking about it! Am doing my first day at Laguna Seca. Car corners pretty well but a few of the straights are uphill, and on those uphills I'm really wishingg for more power as I SLOOOOWWWLLLLYYY creep up on whatever car just gave me a point-by.... they're probably telling their instructors, "I gave the silver E46 a point-by, why isn't he passing me?" On the other hand the HKS alone will probably give me, what, +5 WHP? +8?

I heard a few instructors got busted yesterday or Wednesday for breaking the 92dB sound limit, but none of the students seem to have overly-loud cars.

derbo
08-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Still thinking about it! Am doing my first day at Laguna Seca. Car corners pretty well but a few of the straights are uphill, and on those uphills I'm really wishingg for more power as I SLOOOOWWWLLLLYYY creep up on whatever car just gave me a point-by.... they're probably telling their instructors, "I gave the silver E46 a point-by, why isn't he passing me?" On the other hand the HKS alone will probably give me, what, +5 WHP? +8?

I heard a few instructors got busted yesterday or Wednesday for breaking the 92dB sound limit, but none of the students seem to have overly-loud cars.

HKS will never fail the sound test. It's quiet.

Hopefully my Laguna videos can help with some guidance?

midlandtech
08-23-2013, 12:52 PM
What is the exhaust pipe diameter where the 2 pipes become 1? 3"?

Avetiso
08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Ugh, I want this. My ZHP exhaust has a lot of rust on it.

derbo
08-23-2013, 01:36 PM
What is the exhaust pipe diameter where the 2 pipes become 1? 3"?

I am not sure which part of the Y pipe you are referring to but I believe its dual 55mm to a 70-75mm single pipe out to two 65mm tips.

derbo
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Ugh, I want this. My ZHP exhaust has a lot of rust on it.

Buy it! I'm only 2-2.5 hours away. :)

LivesNearCostco
08-23-2013, 06:13 PM
I know it will never break the sound limit... I saw some people doing sound checks today but they mostly had race exhausts with one muffler and no resonators, with the end of the tail pipe turned left because the sound shack is on the right of turn 5.... My instructor recommended I find a way to get more camber and avoid power mods until I make my braking smoother and most consistent. Should I listen to the voice of reason? Hmmmm.....

derbo
08-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I know it will never break the sound limit... I saw some people doing sound checks today but they mostly had race exhausts with one muffler and no resonators, with the end of the tail pipe turned left because the sound shack is on the right of turn 5.... My instructor recommended I find a way to get more camber and avoid power mods until I make my braking smoother and most consistent. Should I listen to the voice of reason? Hmmmm.....

It's not really a power mod anyways :) lol

LivesNearCostco
08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Right, it's an audio aid for the driver, instructor, and camera!

derbo
08-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Right, it's an audio aid for the driver, instructor, and camera!

That's why I bought it in the first place :)

wertyu78
08-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Any idea what the stock ZHP exhaust weighs? I'm looking to lighten the car.. I'm at 3254lbs currently. Aiming for under 3000 without me in it.

One of the things I'd like to do is run a lighter exhaust setup. Bruce sold me on this system. I think this would accompany BB gen 3's well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Avetiso
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Any idea what the stock ZHP exhaust weighs? I'm looking to lighten the car.. I'm at 3254lbs currently. Aiming for under 3000 without me in it.

One of the things I'd like to do is run a lighter exhaust setup. Bruce sold me on this system. I think this would accompany BB gen 3's well.

Not sure on exacts, but I've heard it's heavy.

wertyu78
08-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Not sure on exacts, but I've heard it's heavy.

I'll weigh it this weekend when I pull it off. Might as well start stripping it down for the subframe reinforcement and LSD install :)

LivesNearCostco
08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
I've removed my stock exhaust twice and it is heavy, maybe 60-70 lbs? Possibly as high as 75. If anyone commits to buying my stock exhaust, then I'd be happy to buy Derbo's HKS one!

derbo
08-27-2013, 07:42 AM
I've removed my stock exhaust twice and it is heavy, maybe 60-70 lbs? Possibly as high as 75. If anyone commits to buying my stock exhaust, then I'd be happy to buy Derbo's HKS one!

I'm not 100% sure how much the stock exhaust weights but it's at least 10lbs heavier than the HKS. The HKS in two packages weigh in at 62lbs packed.

derbo
09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Im surprised no one wants this :((

danewilson77
09-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Im surprised no one wants this :((

Oh... People want it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

wertyu78
09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

derbo
09-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Buy it. :)

Sent by Mobile

bimmergofast
09-14-2013, 06:01 AM

Hey Vas, did you ever check on shipping?

Vas
09-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Hey Vas, did you ever check on shipping?

I did not. Had some other stuff come up.

derbo
09-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I did not. Had some other stuff come up.

It's still available. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LivesNearCostco
09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
My heart still wants it. My head still says "not yet." Need to either get more camber and/or better track tires first.

derbo
09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
My heart still wants it. My head still says "not yet." Need to either get more camber and/or better track tires first.
Just do it. I'll even deliver it to you :)

Sent by Mobile

LivesNearCostco
09-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Will you store my old one for me until I sell it? Or come help me organize my garage to make space for the stock one? :-) Sorry I'm being a difficult buyer right now as I figure out what I want to do with the car and if I'm really going to buy a dedicated track car.

derbo
09-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Will you store my old one for me until I sell it? Or come help me organize my garage to make space for the stock one? :-) Sorry I'm being a difficult buyer right now as I figure out what I want to do with the car and if I'm really going to buy a dedicated track car.

Where do you live? If anything I might be able to help since I work in San Jose. Also, the exhaust is just boxed up and packaged ready to be shipped.. :X

derbo
09-22-2013, 09:48 AM
pending to bimmergofast.

derbo
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Sold to Brian!

LivesNearCostco
09-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on sale! Now I will no longer be tempted.

derbo
09-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Congratulations on sale! Now I will no longer be tempted.

Still should've went to you sir. :(

bimmergofast
10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Arrived yesterday, installed this morning. Initial thoughts- it's quiet. Barely perceptible difference from stock. A bit throatier, and a little more growl under load.

Butt dyno tells me that free flow is making a difference though, seems to pull stronger in the mid range, and open up faster under hard acceleration.

Vas
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I need to hear this :-D

LivesNearCostco
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Congratulations to bimmergofast! Some have heard of Buyer's Regret. I have non-buyer's regret for not jumping on this! To console myself I'm buying some used coilover springs.

derbo
10-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm glad you received it and installed it so quickly! Its definitely quiet but the funny thing is that it sounds stock right now. But if you go back to stock, you will think wow its even quieter!

sent from my mobile device

bimmergofast
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I need to hear this :-D

I'll swing by one day this week!

bimmergofast
10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm glad you received it and installed it so quickly! Its definitely quiet but the funny thing is that it sounds stock right now. But if you go back to stock, you will think wow its even quieter!

sent from my mobile device

It isn't loud, but I love it. I've put a few hundred miles on, all kinds of driving. Definitely pulls stronger, and the tone is fantastic. Guess it's time for a tune?