PDA

View Full Version : New member / owner - Orange County, CA: 2003 BMW Imola Red Rogue ZHP

Terry
02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself and my new car. I'm located in southern Orange County (Foothill Ranch) here in Southern CA. Had my eye on a neat ZHP for quite awhile and feel grateful that I'm able to become the new owner. I can only hope that I am able to continue to provide for the car to the extent of the previous owner who truly has appeared to be a great guardian.

The car originally came to form in 2004 when Rogue Engineering took a low mileage 2003 Imola Red / Black Alcantara/Cloth sunroofless 330i and outfitted with a full E46 M3 drivetrain with matching cooling and fuel systems to boot. I'm sure there are a handful of ZHP owners who are familiar with this car. I want it to be known that my attraction to the car was not primarily driven by the drivetrain. I have had my eye on the ZHP cars ever since I worked at my local BMW dealership before/during college. I always thought they were the neatest cars on the lot and was pleased BMW had the gusto to develop such a package.

I am also pleased to note that the Rogue E46 M3 Wagon (also Imola Red) is around 8 miles away from where I'll be parking my ZHP. Plan to do a photoshoot with the two together and hopefully an article.

With all that said it is indeed my privilege to be a part of this unique little community. I have already felt extremely welcome here thanks to Marcus and am just so tickled (sorry to use this word) to have access to such a great group and information source. I can't wait to meet some of you and now experience a sense of fellowship every time (albeit once in a blue moon!) I see another ZHP on the road.

The car is currently on its way from New Jersey and is due here February 21st.. I'm an insomniac until then.

Thanks for reading, folks.

-Terry Best

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285&d=1297236212

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=284&d=1297236209

kayger12
02-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Welcome, Terry. Glad to have you here.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Looking forward to seeing more pics when she arrives!

danewilson77
02-09-2011, 06:25 AM
I appreciate you buying the car for me, as an intermediate owner, until me an you strike a deal soon. Very nicely played. What? And you.re gonna sell it to me for a mere $20k. I love this guy.

Needless to say...we have been keeping a close eye on the sale of this gem.

Welcome to the site brutha. And more importantly....welcome to the Mafia.

Mtnman
02-09-2011, 06:29 AM
So you're they guy. Well done. Glad ill get to see this car in your signature soon. It is going to be a LONG 12 days my friend! And, Welcome.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Terry, glad you decided to introduce yourself before the car arrived. And I'm glad you're the one waiting -- and not me. I'd be going crazy.

Terry, you need to promise that you'll be an active participant here. I don't want to see you driving the car 24 hours a day, with no time left over for the rest of us. Ha!

Seriously, you and I will have to get together soon. And I want to see that Rogue wagon, too. I'll be at that photoshoot.

Go Horns!
02-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Awesome, glad to see it is going to some one that will appreciate it.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Really couldn't have a better owner. Terry is an enthusiast.

mimalmo
02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Welcome. I love that car.

Terry
02-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the kind words and warm welcomes. Can't wait to park her (or him? no idea yet) next to some of her ZHP siblings...

I must say. Buying the car was an absolute financial stretch and I have no problem admitting that. What I am proud to divulge is that I could've walked into a BMW dealership with all that money in hand for a hefty down payment on most things there...including an E90 M3. And even then I would not have been financing a car I REALLY wanted. Our ZHP cars are that special in my opinion. I'm sure you all agree and have made similar comments a hundred times already here at the ZHP Mafia. So with that said I apologize for the repetition.

There are a couple of items that I'll certainly be needing advice with off the bat and I'm sure I'll have to do so in an appropriate forum. I will mention them here though.
1) Switch to ApexRaceparts ARC8 wheels
2) look into seeing if I can go backwards and remove the NAV (doesn't fit the car in my opinion...it's Alcantara/Cloth and without a sunroof).

Just thoughts for now :)

Thanks again folks. Drive safe :)

-Terry Best

Marcus-SanDiego
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Terry, have you seen this?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?983-Nough-Said-My-BMW-ZHP-Is-Not-Special-%28a-video-by-Kayger12%29

L0veZHP
02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Welcome!! and congratz on your purchase! your going to have a lot of fun with that car. it'll be your new baby.... Hope to see you around and see some pictures up soon =]

RITmusic2k
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Brilliant. I'm very new to the ZHP world and I'd just become familiar with this particular gem of a car right around the time I bought mine last month. I wouldn't have been able to afford it, but I'd have tried anyway :-p

Being so close, we'll have to scrape together a few other locals and do an Orange county meetup in the near future. I'd love to see this car in the flesh!

Congratulations on the purchase of a very special automobile, what's possibly the sleeperest e46 sleeper on the planet.

jjcools
02-09-2011, 03:43 PM
How about the Forgestar F-14? I think they are a similar weight and style but not quite a CSL look alike...

I have to ask ZKW??? HAH, that would be funny since the car is perfect in every way.

Congrats and welcome to the fam, although, I guess you will also be joing the M3 fam at the same time.

Terry
02-09-2011, 11:15 PM
jjcools, Excuse the ignorance, but what is ZKW? I'm embarrassed to have to ask. No need for me to become a member of the M3 family/community. My car is a ZHP with a bit of a fuel (and oil?) consumption issue ;)

Those forgestar F-14 wheels look nice and are in Anaheim. Neat. Not too far away from me. I wonder what gold would like one an Imola red ZHP? I've had an attraction to ApexRaceParts (and especially their ARC8 line) due to their commitment to Bimmer specific applications. As an E30 owner I was very impressed to see them move forward and produce a direct fitment 17x8 for our old cars :) I need to get a set of 17x8s for that car once I recoup some money so was thinking maybe if I might be able to find a home for the OZs on the ZHP I could manage two sets.. Late night ramblings.

Kevin, I'd definitely be down for an Orange County rendezvous.!

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Terry, were you an instructor for autocross back in the day?

RITmusic2k
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
jjcools, Excuse the ignorance, but what is ZKW?

One of two suppliers that BMW used for OEM xenon projector headlamps. They're very nice when new, but they're known to dim considerably after a few years, necessitating replacement. Lots of ZHPs were equipped with the ZKW units. Mine suffers from this, and the only reason I'm not going for a replacement yet is that I live and travel in a very well-lit region and I hardly notice the low output:-p

04ZHP_PDX
02-09-2011, 11:35 PM
That is a beautiful car! Congrats on the purchase. A built car - built by people who know what the hell they're doing!

I have a feeling you will have some pretty threads...if pictures are posted frequently!

Terry
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
I replied and managed to delete what I typed - fantastic. Marcus, used to always be at the autocross events and especially those in San Diego as I loved the crowd and Dan's enthusiasm.. More often than not I was instructing at driving schools. It has been a very long time since I last attended an event and I hope for this to change soon. I may even try to get back into club racing this year....if I can remember what all those flags mean :)

Kevin, thanks for the clarification on the lights.. Not even sure what I have. To be honest my daily driver's lighting is so weak (and probably misaligned) that any other car I drive seems to turn night into day for me.

So I'm thinking ARC-8 wheels in Anthracite (18x9 x4). I've attached an image to get an idea of what they might look like. Let's see if I can figure out how to attach an image. Here goes..:

http://members.cox.net/drivrswntd/grey3.jpg

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I met Dan Tackett about 10 years ago. And now I know why you and Doug Pototzka crossed paths. He was an avid auto-x guy back in the day. Did you have an E30? If so, then you're no stranger to any of us in the SD BMW community.

Gheybe
02-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Terry,
I personally have ARC-8's in 18x9.

I could not be happier with the wheels. I STRONGLY suggest them. They are light, strong, and look perfect. Definitely fit our cars.
18x9 will look perfect on your car.

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
One of two suppliers that BMW used for OEM xenon projector headlamps. They're very nice when new, but they're known to dim considerably after a few years, necessitating replacement. Lots of ZHPs were equipped with the ZKW units. Mine suffers from this, and the only reason I'm not going for a replacement yet is that I live and travel in a very well-lit region and I hardly notice the low output:-p

The other supplier is Al (American Lighting)....just to follow up with you....and yeah...sorry to say it sounds, like me, you have ZKW's.

We started a pretty good lighting thread here that will explain a lot to you, when you're ready.

Terry
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Marcus, I have a white E30 M3 D-Modified...never made it down to the autocrosses (would require a trailer) but I did occasionally drive a friend's E30 M3 J-Stock. Those cars are so fun to over drive :) Tell me Doug still has his car?! He loved that thing. Will you be heading out to Chuckwalla in March??

Gheybe, that is GREAT to hear. What color did you go with? I'm wondering what offest i need as this car has some rather large brakes outfitted on all four corners...And I might need to get the E46 M3 version of the wheels too because of everything that was swapped out. Trying to verify this with Wen, the previous owner.

-Terry

Terry
02-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Looks like they're the same part # and price. Nevermind :) I recall his name being Eddy? Once I talk to him I'll ask him if he thinks they might clear the brakes..

Thanks for reading folks.

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Marcus, I have a white E30 M3 D-Modified...never made it down to the autocrosses (would require a trailer) but I did occasionally drive a friend's E30 M3 J-Stock. Those cars are so fun to over drive :) Tell me Doug still has his car?! He loved that thing. Will you be heading out to Chuckwalla in March??

Gheybe, that is GREAT to hear. What color did you go with? I'm wondering what offest i need as this car has some rather large brakes outfitted on all four corners...And I might need to get the E46 M3 version of the wheels too because of everything that was swapped out. Trying to verify this with Wen, the previous owner.

-Terry

Terry, good news. Doug still has his E30 M3. I saw him last night. Here's a picture of our cars from last night (from left to right -- Khoa's silver 330, my alpine white 335, Dave Middleton's (founder of San Diego German Car Club) black 318, and Doug's E30 M3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/2011-02-09_20-33-57_231.jpg

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Terry, good news. Doug still has his E30 M3. I saw him last night. Here's a picture of our cars from last night (from left to right -- Khoa's silver 330, my alpine white 335, Dave Middleton's (founder of San Diego German Car Club) black 318, and Doug's E30 M3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/2011-02-09_20-33-57_231.jpg

The founder of ZHP Mafia needs a DSLR. No disrespect intended Boss.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
My wife took that picture. Haha. I was nowhere near the cars when she took it. I don't need a DSLR. I just need Casey (who also graced us with his presence last night). Ha!

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
My wife took that picture. Haha. I was nowhere near the cars when she took it. I don't need a DSLR. I just need Casey (who also graced us with his presence last night). Ha!

Boss......

Marcus-SanDiego
02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Boss......

I agree with you, though. I need a real camera.

Terry, sorry for going off topic.

Back on topic:

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

jjcools
02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Terry, I was mostly kidding about the lights just to make myself feel better knowing that it is "just" a car. :) When in reality we know it is not "just" a car. But if when you get it, you see Zkw on the headlight covers, call up lightwerkz and have them do a FX-R retrofit and you will be better than new.

I hope you love it and look forward to seeing more pics of it with the new track wheels. Also, need pics of your other bimmer just to be safe.

Terry
02-10-2011, 08:50 AM
It's all on topic as far as I'm concerned :) Will be awhile till I get the car...she's still at the shipping/freight hub in Linden, New Jersey. Going to seriously work on posting the OZs up for sale so I have a new home lined up for them by the time the car arrives...

-Terry

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
It's all on topic as far as I'm concerned :) Will be awhile till I get the car...she's still at the shipping/freight hub in Linden, New Jersey. Going to seriously work on posting the OZs up for sale so I have a new home lined up for them by the time the car arrives...

-Terry

What are these OZs you speak of?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Terry
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Dane, they are the OZ Ultraleggera (translates to UltraLight in Italian...I think?). 18x8 front and 18x9 rear in silver. This is them on the car:

http://prod.campuscruiser.com/wen/m3/1.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Mmmm....what would you be wanting for those bad boys?

Terry
02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Wish you were local...Although the car is more local to you than it is to me right now...lol.

They retail new for $350 per ($1400 for the set).

You tell me what you think is a fair price for this used set :)

-Terry

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Wish you were local...Although the car is more local to you than it is to me right now...lol.

They retail new for $350 per ($1400 for the set).

You tell me what you think is a fair price for this used set :)

-Terry

I was just curious...as it was one of the rims I was considering on Tirerack. To make a fair assessment...I would need pics of each rim....which you prolly don't have.

gr330zhp
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I love this car!! I have the Bimmer Magazine issue with this car in it, this car made me want a ZHP soo much.

Congrats! Take care of it!

Gheybe
02-10-2011, 12:58 PM

-Terry
Hey bud.
I can't speak for the offset or m3 fitment but I can assure you these will accommodate bbk kits. I went with satin black. Looking back I probably would have gone with anthracite though. Bit they all look amazing. Don't be afraid to get these. For the price, nothin is lighter, stronger and better looking. Also, a square set up of 255 will surprise you.

Terry
02-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Gheybe, it looks like the 18x9 is the same exact wheel for E46 / E46 M3 fitment. I'm sure black looks great still. Thanks for the endorsement. I can't wait to order them. Need to sell the OZs first of course :)

gr330zhp, awesome to know the article inspired you to buy a ZHP. I want to contact them to see if they have a spare copy :)

Dane, you shall have pictures as soon as I yank em' off the car :)

-Terry

mimalmo
02-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Gheybe, it looks like the 18x9 is the same exact wheel for E46 / E46 M3 fitment. I'm sure black looks great still. Thanks for the endorsement. I can't wait to order them. Need to sell the OZs first of course :)

gr330zhp, awesome to know the article inspired you to buy a ZHP. I want to contact them to see if they have a spare copy :)

-Terry

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/back_issues.php

Marcus-SanDiego
02-11-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.bimmer-mag.com/back_issues.php

Nice. Issue #56.

#56 Feb. 2006
2006 530xi: AWD Revolution
2006 130i M Sport
2005 M3 ZCP vs. 2004 M3
$40,000 MINI Cooper Works
Buyer’s Guide: E31 8 Series
TC Kline M3, Rogue 330i/M3
E28 Perfection: M5, Alpina B9
Driving the legendary 507
BMW at Monterey Historics

Gheybe
02-13-2011, 11:28 PM

-Terry

Hey bud, that's not the case I think. The offset of the M3 is much more aggressive. It has to be. That's what characterizes the difference between the two.
Either way, you need to ask Rogue what they did for the rear axle, as I think it is the only one they changed so it could accommodate the M3 differential. You need to make sure you get the correct offset or you are going to waste a lot of money. Trust me on this. I have a set of LM's sitting in my living room for the past month because of that. :facepalm

tripod06
02-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Terry, once you get yours you'll have to hit me up. I know I'm new here and all but I am all about making good friends with everyone I can and if you want we could meet up and have a fun mini photoshoot of our new prized possessions :)

Terry
02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Gheybe,

Thanks for the warning.. I just shot an email over to Ben to ask him exactly what is different (m3 vs zhp) on the car just so I can plan accordingly. The previous owner just does not know unfortunately. Anyway, appreciate it.

Tripod, absolutely. Where abouts are you located? And do you happen to work on the the old airbase (El Toro)? :)

Cheers,

-Terry

tripod06
02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Gheybe,

Thanks for the warning.. I just shot an email over to Ben to ask him exactly what is different (m3 vs zhp) on the car just so I can plan accordingly. The previous owner just does not know unfortunately. Anyway, appreciate it.

Tripod, absolutely. Where abouts are you located? And do you happen to work on the the old airbase (El Toro)? :)

Cheers,

-Terry

Terry,

I do not work at the old airbase BUT i do live right by it. Off Edinger and Jamboree. i work next to the Spectrum also.

Terry
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Ah, got it. Assumed your Avatar might've been a hint as to what you do for a living. I'm a big fan of the show.

I'm in Foothill Ranch, basically 4-5 miles due east of the Spectrum and in the hills...

Spectrum rendezvous is in order.!

Cheers,

Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm about 40 minutes from Spectrum.

Sounds like a ZHP Mafia meet is in order.

Gheybe
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm about 25 minutes from Marky.

Sounds like a ZHP Mafia orgy is in order.

RITmusic2k
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Make it so!

tripod06
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like we should start looking at the calendars my new friends :D What dates should we be looking at?

oh and Terry, i love the BBC Brit version. i personally cannot get into the American version. hence why i put "2004 ZHP 'Saloon'"

Terry
02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
I may not get my car until the 23rd of this month (a week from Wednesday). Regardless I'd like to make the meet so I can meet my brethren. I think the Irvine Spectrum might be a great place to meet but might be too far north for some of the SD troops? Must ask - does beer tend to flow when ZHPs congregate?

Tripod, we're on the same page :) I like Tanner but Adam and Rutledge (sp?) just do not quite do it for me...I just thought there might be a chance you work for the US show as it's in Irvine...and I was going to ask if I could fill out an application :) Been out of the job for awhile.

Gheybe, I chatted with Ben @ Rogue today and he said that the entire rear end is M3 including the hub assemblies. He recommended running an 18x9 all the way around (with identical offsets) and said that would definitely be the maximum width due to fender clearance (the m3 being flared out more). I'll call Eddy @ ApexRaceParts.com to see if and what the differences are between the two 18x9 wheels. Thanks for the heads up on the differences though. Hope we can find a home for your BBS wheels soon.

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I can't speak for everyone but Spectrum is not too far for me. It's in between San Diego and LA. Some ten years ago we used Spectrum as a meeting place quite often.

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Awesome car, I would love to be able to ride in that. Congratulations, I'm sure you will love your one of a kind car!

tripod06
02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I think the Spectrum would be awesome. We could meet there and maybe take a cruise to Laguna area or Newport. Just an idea

tripod06
02-15-2011, 08:00 AM
link for meet :)

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1158-SoCal-ZHP-Mafioso-Gathering

Terry
02-17-2011, 08:41 AM
MasterC17, thanks for the kind words. I think of all ZHPs as being one of only a few :)

Personalized License Plate - I've never had one and thought I might get one for the car. I've thought about 'ZHP S54' or 'S54 ZHP' (not sure which order is better). Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm curious what you guys are running :)

Cheers,

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
I like S54 ZHP.

In the meantime, here are some threads where we discussed personalized plates:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?203-Suggestions-for-new-License-plate!-!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?791-new-plate

romanred62
02-17-2011, 09:02 AM
S54 ZHP gets my vote.

kayger12
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
S54 ZHP

ftw!

Mtnman
02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
+1

Terry
02-17-2011, 09:46 AM
It is done! :)

Thanks for the help guys...does sound a bit more catchy with the engine designation first.

Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Excellent.

SC4ME
02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I want an S54 ZHP.

Would love to see that baby one day after reading about it.

Welcome to the family!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
I want an S54 ZHP.

Would love to see that baby one day after reading about it.

Welcome to the family!

Make sure you go up with us in a few weeks.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Terry, what's the latest? Car here?

Terry
02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, the car arrived yesterday morning at about 7am:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=422&d=1298652476
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=423&d=1298652476

Yesterday I was scrambling around and didn't have a chance to let you guys know - for that I am sorry. Was out in the garage till 11pm last night to clear out some more space and make absolutely sure she would be comfortable inside.

So here's the skinny so far:

The car is pretty clean although the exterior needs a bit of work with a very experienced detailer. I am pretty sure it has been re-sprayed in spots.. I couldn't tell but some friends brought it to my attention. Does not look like it was ever hit though. Drives very straight (when I'm not being an idiot...which is unfortunately rare being that I just learned how to completely take off the traction control). Just joking, well sort of :) Front bumper needs to be removed, sanded, and completely repainted but I was expecting this.

The one main thing that really bothers me is that the steering wheel is not perfectly straight. What I mean is that when I'm sitting in the car the right side of the wheel (ie, where your right hand position is) is closer than the left side (where your left hand position is). Another way of explaining this - the Roundel points towards my left breast / shoulder instead of my sternum. Cannot figure out why for the life of me. Some other people have sat in the car and I'd say 3 of the 4 people noticed it right off the bat. I noticed it after 1 second because I'm super picky about that. All that I can think of is that when they were doing the work in the dash they may have unbolted the steering column / assembly from the body and when they reattached it they may unintentionally angled it so it points to driver's left before tightening up the bolts.. I am sure there is a little bit of room for adjustment there.. That's me being optimistic :)

Couldn't get the car to pass last night and my friend who was doing the smog thinks it's due to two reasons. First being that there's a slight miss due to the coils being on their way out..and second because the car has been sitting so long as there's just a bunch of build-up in there..Who knows? He thinks the coils are a good idea regardless because they have been updated by BMW through the years and there's a good chance this S54 is a 2003 or even 2002 motor (which I plan to verify when i find the VIN on the motor). Another friend told me to replace the air filter. I think it's an aftermarket panel filter and I plan to put a BMW one in there.

The Rogue Shifter is just way too short and stiff for me. I know it's a very nice piece but I simply prefer the effortless long (and easy) throw of a factory spec shifter.

Oh...and the wheels just have to go.

Going to call Irvine BMW today and see how much I'll be down with the coils, air filter, and new front bumper trim (to eliminate the license plate trim/mount) :)

Thanks so much for reading guys. Will have an update very soon.

Cheers,

Terry

tripod06
02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
god that is sexy. i love the shots man. are these the only two you shot?

tripod06
02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Terry, if you wanna meet at Irvine BMW today, let me know! i work down the street from there.

also, are you planning on going back to ZHP OEMs?

also CONGRATS MAN!!!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Terry, sounds like stuff you'll be able to remedy without too much trouble.

You on for the meet at Spectrum on March 5?

Terry
02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Tripod, those were the only two shots I took...The unload happened very quickly and it didn't help that the truck arrived ~2 hours ahead of schedule. Of course I didn't complain.

If I end up heading into Irvine BMW today to pick up any parts I will shoot you a line for sure. I'm in Foothill Ranch and may be driving up to Bullet in Costa Mesa around 2pm (they're basically at the intersection of the 405 & 55) to have the guys check out the car (I tend to be up there on Friday afternoons/evenings) and who may even have some parts in stock too. FYI my friend who checked out the car last night was Shane from Aliso Viejo Auto Service. He used to be a tech at Crevier BMW and is probably the nicest, most honest, and modest BMW service professionals you'll ever meet. He's an avid autocrosser and active BMW CCA member.

Marcus, are you kidding? Of course :) Thanks for the assurance on the car. Much appreciated. I am proud to take on the responsibility to address issues / make improvements on the car.

-Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Cool. We will see you next Saturday.

There is a morning get together at Cars & Coffee. Then there is the Spectrum meet -- at 11 am (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1363-OFFICIAL-ZHP-MAFIA-MEET-MARCH-5-2011).

danewilson77
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Steering wheel issue should be easy enough to fix...

tripod06
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Terry, i'm going to PM you my cell number. i can get off work whenever i want today so if you plan on heading that way around 2 p.m. i most likely will be able to join you if you wanna meet me at my office. just a thought. let me know!

Mtnman
02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Pure Awesomeness....

Terry
02-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Albert, just sent you a txt message.

Well, may have figured why the car didn't pass smog...There was a K&N drop-in filter in there that was just filthy. Replaced with BMW factory. Also, the #6 coil may have not been pressed in all the way. Will find out. May try and smog her today :)

Will keep you guys posted on some of the other things. Is it best to do another thread outside of this specific forum (New Members?)?

Hope the weekend is treating everybody well so far.

-Terry

MasterC17
02-26-2011, 07:40 AM
The steering wheel issue is an easy fix, mine is also off to the left (because I'm too lazy to go fix it). See Kayger's thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1164-E46-Steering-Wheel-Removal) and in step 7 you will see a picture of the column and the marks need to be lined up exactly. If you're going to replace the air filter/intake you may want to consider the BMW Performance one on sale for under $300 - originally it was over $1k. You could replace the Rogue shifter with a factory ZHP one - still a short shifter but not too bad. There's a bunch of options for wheels but I personally prefer APEX ARC-8's for their lightness, direct fit, and looks. Good luck with the car I love it!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Albert, just sent you a txt message.

Well, may have figured why the car didn't pass smog...There was a K&N drop-in filter in there that was just filthy. Replaced with BMW factory. Also, the #6 coil may have not been pressed in all the way. Will find out. May try and smog her today :)

Will keep you guys posted on some of the other things. Is it best to do another thread outside of this specific forum (New Members?)?

Hope the weekend is treating everybody well so far.

-Terry

Terry, this is your introduction thread. It's yours to use any way you would like. If you want to start a new thread, have at it. If you want to keep using this one, go for it.

mimalmo
02-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I'd like to see a Project Thread on this car.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?48-Projects

Marcus-SanDiego
02-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Definitely need a project thread for this car.

kaboom
02-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow sweet car man! Maybe I'm crazy but I love the OZ's!

I think we should do a ZHP track day with all this interest.

Ian

danewilson77
02-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Wow sweet car man! Maybe I'm crazy but I love the OZ's!

I think we should do a ZHP track day with all this interest.

Ian

The rims on that car would be the last thing I changed/fixed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Terry
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Appreciate all the comments and tips.

I'll be starting a project thread for sure. I have some more updates and I'll post them there.

Terry

Marcus-SanDiego
02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Terry, be sure to add your name to the Saturday meet here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1363-OFFICIAL-ZHP-MAFIA-MEET-MARCH-5-2011).

MrMaico
03-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Congrats on the awesome car Terry! I posted my thoughts about the wheel in your other thread...

Damn....how did I miss this thread? After all, I was the one who originally posted the for sale ad here.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1066-New-member-owner-Orange-County-CA-2003-Imola-Red-Rogue-ZHP

Congrats on the score Terry! Nice to see it went to someone who will take good care of it.

I had to go and check my wheel after seeing this....it's obvious just looking in the door that it's angled quite a ways. Can't believe I/we have never noticed that before!

My guess would be that it has to do with the position that the steering column needed to be at to clear the left front suspension/strut assembly. I can't imagine there would be any adjustment that could be made that would correct that amount of difference in the angle.

Barry

mikeyb74
03-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Very nice and welcome.