PDA

View Full Version : Help finding an LCM

Avetiso
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey guys, so I'm going to need a new LCM for my car (first one died in the fire).

Obviously, I want to get the latest version of LCM for some added features that can be enabled via coding.

1) How can I know if an LCM is the latest or not?

2) What's a good price to pay for one?

3) Can someone possibly find me one on eBay to buy?

4) My car does not come with Auto Lights (it's a 2003, vintage), however, I'm assuming most, if not all, of the latest LCMs will have auto lights, right? What do I do if the LCM I buy has auto lights but my car doesn't? What should I do in that case?

5) How can I recode my LCM to my car and what tools do I need to do this? I am already looking for a laptop to run as a dedicated coder (winxp, 32 bit). What else do I need?

az3579
08-15-2013, 02:16 AM
Hey guys, so I'm going to need a new LCM for my car (first one died in the fire).

Obviously, I want to get the latest version of LCM for some added features that can be enabled via coding.

1) How can I know if an LCM is the latest or not?

2) What's a good price to pay for one?

3) Can someone possibly find me one on eBay to buy?

4) My car does not come with Auto Lights (it's a 2003, vintage), however, I'm assuming most, if not all, of the latest LCMs will have auto lights, right? What do I do if the LCM I buy has auto lights but my car doesn't? What should I do in that case?

5) How can I recode my LCM to my car and what tools do I need to do this? I am already looking for a laptop to run as a dedicated coder (winxp, 32 bit). What else do I need?

1) the latest LCM will have a software version of 4.0 or higher.
2) LCMs ain't cheap; be prepared to pay 100-200 for a used one and 3-500 for a new one.
3) On eBay, all you have to search for is LCM e46 2006. If you can find one from a coupe/vert from 2006 then you are guaranteed to have the right one.
4) All of the cars from 2004 onwards have auto lights. If you want auto lights to function, you will need the rain and light sensor (the correct windshield from a 2004-on E46) and the harness. Coding is involved I believe.
5) To recode your LCM for VIN and mileage, you'll need a BMW scanner (PA Soft). You may need NCS Expert as well to enable the auto functions, though I can't be sure since mine already had auto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

cakM3
08-15-2013, 03:29 AM
1) the latest LCM will have a software version of 4.0 or higher.

Actually, the latest LCM you can use in the E46 will have software vers 4.5. They come in MY2006 E46s. Late MY2005 E46 came with LCMs with software vers 4.0. Just wanted to clarify things here :thumbsup

2) LCMs ain't cheap; be prepared to pay 100-200 for a used one and 3-500 for a new one.

Dario, if you're looking at ebay then the ones with software vers 4.0 or 4.5 will cost somewhere around this range. The cheaper ones with software vers 3.5 and earlier will be in the $35 - $60 range.....if you're looking for the one-touch triple blink then stay away from these. Confirm the software version before committing....

3) On eBay, all you have to search for is LCM e46 2006. If you can find one from a coupe/vert from 2006 then you are guaranteed to have the right one.

+1

4) All of the cars from 2004 onwards have auto lights. If you want auto lights to function, you will need the rain and light sensor (the correct windshield from a 2004-on E46) and the harness. Coding is involved I believe.

You want to talk to Tony (tnhl1989) about this because he retrofitted this feature into his ZHP and will be helping me with this retrofit in my ZHP :thumbsup

5) To recode your LCM for VIN and mileage, you'll need a BMW scanner (PA Soft). You may need NCS Expert as well to enable the auto functions, though I can't be sure since mine already had auto.

NCS Expert is also needed to code in one-touch triple blink if you get an LCM with software vers 4.0 or 4.5 :thumbsup

One last thing to add Dario, for the ///M I went to the dealer to purchase a brand new LCM with s/w 4.5. This LCM cost me $300 from the dealer. I can check with my friend to see if he happens to have an LCM (with either s/w 4.0 or 4.5) available and grab it for you :thumbsup If you're just looking for an LCM, I can mail out my ZHP's original LCM out to you if you want it. Just let me know! :thumbsup

az3579
08-15-2013, 03:31 AM
NCS Expert is also needed to code in one-touch triple blink if you get an LCM with software vers 4.0 or 4.5 :thumbsup

PA Soft can be used for this as well.

cakM3
08-15-2013, 03:49 AM
PA Soft can be used for this as well.

Show me....

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help, guys! I do want triple blink. So, if I get an LCM with auto lights but I do not have my car enable for it, it just won't work, right? I can just turn on the light manually and not use the Auto switch...correct? What I'm worried about isn't having the auto lights features, but rather, I don't want there to be some sort of malfunction even when trying to use the regular ON switch for the lights.

I guess the question is: Will I still be able to use the regular ON switch (like on vintage ZHPs) with a newer LCM and just ignore the auto switch?

Looking at some laptops locally for coding.

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Nothing on ebay. :(

az3579
08-15-2013, 11:20 AM
You can use the switch normally if you don't have auto lights. If you switch it to auto, the lights will just stay on at all times.

You won't have an easy time finding the correct LCM. Only very late 2005 and all 2006 E46's had the right unit, and those model years are rare as production was slowing down at that point.

ELCID86
08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Can't tell about this one from my phone http://bit.ly/14CRl5v

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Can't tell about this one from my phone http://bit.ly/14CRl5v

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.
"From a 2003 330xi"

Thanks, though. If I can't find a newer LCM I guess I'll just get an older one.

Vas
08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
LOL first world problems.

cakM3
08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Done :thumbsup

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
:rofl Vasya, that's kind of true actually.

Thanks to Charlie, I have an LCM to use, and he will also code my mileage and VIN to it before he ships it to me.

cakM3
08-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Dario, that's how things are done here on the Mafia forum...:thumbsup

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Question: can a car start without an LCM?

az3579
08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Question: can a car start without an LCM?

Yes, you just won't have ANY lighting that works as far as I know. And your tamper dot will illuminate in the instrument cluster.

cakM3
08-15-2013, 06:00 PM
BP speaks the truth here :thumbsup

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks. That means something else is keeping my car from starting.

Something confusing. You say that if there is no LCM, the tamper dot will illuminate. Well, my LCM caught fire, so I assume the the wiring coming up to it is broken. How is it then, that the dash pictures from the action show no tamper dot? Is the dot always on? Or only when the car is started/or the key is in position 2?

JupiterBMW
08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Wow, Charlie and BP dominated this thread. Excellent resources in the Northeast Brotherhood. :biggrin Dario, if you keep your eyes peeled, eventually you will find the correct LCM. I eventually found one with SW 4.0 on eBay, paid less than $100 for it too. I then found the correct Euro LKM on Ebay UK and paid a little more, but when I get home, I'll be able to set up my new LCM with SW 4.0 with the Euro face plate from the other one, which will then allow me to enable the rear fogs.

Needless to say, at the end of all of this, I'll have two spare LCMs, one with auto light button, one without. Neither will have the newer software version allowing for triple blink, but if you need one, I can help.

trancenation
08-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Sorry to be a little misinformed but what is the triple blink you guys are referring to?

Avetiso
08-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry to be a little misinformed but what is the triple blink you guys are referring to?
On LCM with S/W versions of 4.0 and higher, you can enable a feature where you slightly press the stalk for your blinkers, but don't fully engage it. This will make your blinker blink 3 times and then shut off by itself. Great for lane changes. My 2008 Jetta had it, and I miss it.

trancenation
08-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Got it! Thanks. So this needs to be coded with ncs expert or can it be done with pasoft? I have a 10/04 build.. Is the LCM capable?

cakM3
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Got it! Thanks. So this needs to be coded with ncs expert or can it be done with pasoft? I have a 10/04 build.. Is the LCM capable?

Your LCM is not capable of the one-touch triple blink. If you pull out your LCM just enough, you will see that the s/w vers is not 4.0 or 4.5. LCMs that came with late 2005 models had s/w 4.0 and 2006 models had s/w 4.5.

Here's where you can determine which s/w version you have...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/5adevu8a.jpg

That sticker will have all the information including the hardware and software version of the LCM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/de8y9ery.jpg

az3579
08-16-2013, 11:36 AM
ere is no LCM, the tamper dot will illuminate. Well, my LCM caught fire, so I assume the the wiring coming up to it is broken. How is it then, that the dash pictures from the action show no tamper dot? Is the dot always on? Or only when the car is started/or the key is in position 2?

I don't recall the picture, so I couldn't tell you. One thing is for sure; if you drive more than 60-ish miles without the LCM plugged in, the tamper dot is guaranteed to come on There is a certain tolerance for mileage variations between the LSZ (LCM) and IKE (cluster), and once it surpasses a certain mileage with a mismatch in miles, it will trigger the dot. This can be coded out with PA Soft, so if you get a replacement, just code it to match VIN and mileage of the cluster and you're good to go. I have a DIY on this somewhere in the DIY section. Don't worry about this too much. If you want, you could ship your replacement LCM to me and I'll code it for you.

On LCM with S/W versions of 4.0 and higher, you can enable a feature where you slightly press the stalk for your blinkers, but don't fully engage it. This will make your blinker blink 3 times and then shut off by itself. Great for lane changes. My 2008 Jetta had it, and I miss it.

Not nearly enough blinks for highway use, but definitely awesome for around town and Y-splits in the road. :)

PA Soft can do everything you need in this case.

Your LCM is not capable of the one-touch triple blink. If you pull out your LCM just enough, you will see that the s/w vers is not 4.0 or 4.5. LCMs that came with late 2005 models had s/w 4.0 and 2006 models had s/w 4.5.

Here's where you can determine which s/w version you have...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/5adevu8a.jpg

That sticker will have all the information including the hardware and software version of the LCM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/de8y9ery.jpg

For further clarification, if you car is a sedan, you are guaranteed to not have it. If you have an '05 coupe/vert built after I think September, then you might/definitely have it (around the cutover it might be hit or miss). If it's an 06 MY, you definitely have it.

JupiterBMW
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Jay- Check out my build thread for a quick video of triple blink in action...

Avetiso
08-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the offer, BP! I am buying Charlie's LCM, and he will precode it for me. Just waiting on my car to get the exact mileage and vin.

JupiterBMW
08-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Good call, nice job on the assist Chuck! :thumbsup

cakM3
08-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks Joop!

cakM3
08-18-2013, 09:11 AM
LCM has been coded to your new ZHP Dario....I will get it shipped out to you tomorrow. Got it completely wrapped in bubble wrap so it should be perfect when it gets to you in a few days :thumbsup

Avetiso
08-18-2013, 09:41 AM
LCM has been coded to your new ZHP Dario....I will get it shipped out to you tomorrow. Got it completely wrapped in bubble wrap so it should be perfect when it gets to you in a few days :thumbsup

:thumbup thanks, Charlie!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

cakM3
08-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Just shipped out Dario's reprogrammed LCM. You should see your package either on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest :thumbsup Let me know how it goes! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Chuck!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

cakM3
08-19-2013, 08:21 AM
If you source an LCM with s/w 4.0 or 4.5 let me know. I'm sure we can get everything programmed in...like the tri-fecta / one touch triple blink mod...;)

Avetiso
08-19-2013, 08:22 AM
If you source an LCM with s/w 4.0 or 4.5 let me know. I'm sure we can get everything programmed in...like the tri-fecta / one touch triple blink mod...;)
Sure thing. This will probably be later, though. I'm going to focus on getting my car running before school starts. I have 7 days.

cakM3
08-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Sure thing. This will probably be later, though. I'm going to focus on getting my car running before school starts. I have 7 days.

agreed....the priority is to get her up and running first....in the mean time, I will keep an eye out for one and let you know if I find one. That way, when you're ready we can get one programmed for you :thumbsup