PDA

View Full Version : New member from Bay Area

Lanister
08-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Hello gang,

Much like a lot of you, I have been frothing at the sight of a zhp for a greater part of a decade. With these cars becoming older and somewhat of a rarity, I figured that if I were to own one, it would be now. Fortunately, things fell into place and I was able to pick up the ride of the existing zhpmafia member, Gordo_GT. You will likely easily recognize his ride in the picture below. It is a 2005 330Ci with 89,xxx miles in great condition. What made this purchase somewhat interesting is that, unlike any time in the past, I was able to trace this car's history (while in hands of Gordo_GT) through this forum, as he was essentially documenting everything that happened to it through pictures and conversations. So I was going into the transaction knowing nearly everything I needed to know about it. While I was exploring the forum and learning about these cars, I was pleasantly impressed with the community and thought that I would fit right in. Previously, I have owned a 2G DSM (AWD Turbo baby!) and been a part of the BCDSM owners forum. As you might know, DSMs are highly modifiable and fun vehicles to own and they're perfect for tinkerers like myself. I sold my DSM back in 2009 and since then been racing motorcycles with American Federation of Motorcyclists (AFM). To facilitate my motorcycling hobby, my primary vehicle was a VW Eurovan (VR6), which, despite its utility, always kept me yearning for a proper road vehicle (zhp!). Since 2012 though, I hung up my leathers and sold my race bike to go back to school, which opened up the door for the possibility to own my first BMW dream car. Going forward, I look forward to being a part of this great community and enjoying the ownership of ultimate road vehicle. :o

trancenation
08-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the forums Lanister! It's wonderful that you were able to trace records on your current car and it can definitely give you a better peace of mind of how the car was previously taken care of. Dsms are unbelievably quick and with a turbo set up, that should be a blast. We on the Mafia, take care of our cars very well and provide a good resource for those around us if they have any questions in regards to troubleshooting and etc. It's good to see some other folks from the Bay Area and Congrats on your new to you ZHP!

danewilson77
08-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Welcome

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Hermes
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the family

Avetiso
08-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Welcome! Woot, more NorCal!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

derbo
08-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Welcome fellow NorCal owner :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lanister
09-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! :roundel Looks like the Bay Area zhp scene is alive and well :)

johnrando
09-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Welcome Norcal! :) Great pick up.

NorCalZman
09-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Santa Cruz huh? That's about as south as it gets for the Bay Area. Hah. Welcome to the forum. I hope we have a Bay Area meet at some point before I move to SoCal.

NorCal-Dimitri
09-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Beautiful zhp! Great seeing more people Northern California!

Oli77
09-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Warm welcome from Kentucky!

ELCID86
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
You look familiar... Pretty car and welcome aboard.

derbo
09-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I also like game of thrones. You always pay your debts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lanister
09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
The winter is coming :)

imola red zhp
09-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome another Norcal ZHP......

sent from my Personal Electronic Device

fredo
09-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Welcome, Lanister ! And congrats on the ZHP.

cakM3
09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Welcome, Lanister ! And congrats on the ZHP.

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

RITmusic2k
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Greetings, Imp!

Beautiful stable you've maintained over the years. Do you think you'll ever get back into riding, even casually?

Lanister
09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Greetings, Imp!

Beautiful stable you've maintained over the years. Do you think you'll ever get back into riding, even casually?

Kevin,

Although I have sold my race bike, I still have my street fighter, which is a 2006 KTM Supermoto 950SM. So I still ride on weekends up in Santa Cruz mountains and sometimes up to Alice's. Once I'm done with school, I might consider picking up a track bike again but for now I'm going to keep my distance. It's a money pit!:devilish

Marcus-SanDiego
09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome.

Sent from my PeerlessFineArt.com iPhone

JupiterBMW
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the boards, officially... I haven't had much internet to post as often as I'd like, but now that I do, welcome. The fleet of rides you've had (2 and 4 wheeled) all look great. I have to ask, do you participate in "thetrackclub.com" events at all? My buddy was (might still be?) very active with them and used to track marshall a lot of events up in the San Jose area... His name is Tony Novello... You by chance know him? He lives down in AZ now...

Anyway... great looking ZHP, one of my preferred colors. :thumbsup

Lanister
09-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the welcome! I've heard of the track club events but never took part, mostly because I would usually get a ticket pack with a single provider with the benefit of a good discount. You know, track days are not cheap. I can say that the Bay Area is idea of track activity. We have, Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow race way, all within 1-3 hours drive. In addition to that, the weather is usually always on our side as well. Sorry, never met Tony but I've always been greatly appreciative of track marshals. Their jobs are pretty tough and they it in scorching heat, while we ride around with grins on our faces.

JupiterBMW
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the welcome! I've heard of the track club events but never took part, mostly because I would usually get a ticket pack with a single provider with the benefit of a good discount. You know, track days are not cheap. I can say that the Bay Area is idea of track activity. We have, Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow race way, all within 1-3 hours drive. In addition to that, the weather is usually always on our side as well. Sorry, never met Tony but I've always been greatly appreciative of track marshals. Their jobs are pretty tough and they it in scorching heat, while we ride around with grins on our faces.

Haha, I hear ya man. Track events are really pricey. I never was a part of his moto racing stuff, we used to be good friends from a different car community, much like the Mafia. That was all years ago though. I just thought it was a possibility, he lived in the SJ area for many many years and both him and his brother were very active with motorcycles.

Anyway, good times... And yes, I miss the tracks (and great roads in general) that the Bay Area has. We don't have ANY good driving roads out here in Florida...

Lanister
09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Haha, I hear ya man. Track events are really pricey. I never was a part of his moto racing stuff, we used to be good friends from a different car community, much like the Mafia. That was all years ago though. I just thought it was a possibility, he lived in the SJ area for many many years and both him and his brother were very active with motorcycles.

Anyway, good times... And yes, I miss the tracks (and great roads in general) that the Bay Area has. We don't have ANY good driving roads out here in Florida...

Yeah, I remember Florida was just straight open highways and endless coastline. I thought there is some beauty to it for sure. But you're right, the bay area has some insane roads. :D

derbo
09-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Jon,

My favorite is Thunderhill and they are expanding.. :drool:

I hate to say it, but Thunderhill is more fun than Buttonwillow.. AND lot closer.

Might be time to get that helmet on again but this time on 4wheels ;)

Lanister
09-09-2013, 11:27 PM
My favorite is Thunderhill and they are expanding.. :drool:

I hate to say it, but Thunderhill is more fun than Buttonwillow.. AND lot closer.

Might be time to get that helmet on again but this time on 4wheels ;)

Frankly, I can't stand Buttholewhillow. It's extremely bumpy, patchy with different types of tarmac, and the runoff looks awful! I've only ridden there a hand-full of times and never quite grown to like the place. However, Thunderhill is one of my most favorite places on earth, that place is magic!!! I do have to say that Laguna Seca is also very special and I like that I live only 45 minutes away from it. Looks like your signature is from turn 5 at Laguna, right?

derbo
09-09-2013, 11:57 PM
I totally agree with you. Buttonwillow was my first event I ever went to and that's how I ended up tracking the 330i. It has a soft spot for me as I know it's a place for time attacks to go under 1:50s in street cars.

Thunder hill is the best track in the area cause it's fun in both a car or a bike. It has great pit area and the track layout is just awesome. It's cheaper then Laguna and Sears and still has one of the best layouts.

Laguna is my favorite track as I "grew up" playing it and everyone knows it from video games. Downfall is the sound limit and the price of going there is usually double thunder hill.

You are right, my signature is turn 5 at Laguna.

I need to make it up to thunder hill soon. Been itching.

Sent by Mobile