PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil smell

midlandtech
09-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Recently I have been noticing a burning oil type smell coming from the car. Initially I attributed it to an exhaust leak at the clamp point for the new exhaust that I haven't gotten to weld yet. However today the smell was much stronger than previously noticed and my wife noticed smoke coming from the hood (I never saw it but she saw it multiple times). We parked the car until I can look at it tomorrow but I was wondering of any of you had any clues as to possible cause or area to look? The car has been cranking slightly longer after stationary periods but there are no other symptoms. Car runs great otherwise.

danewilson77
09-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Most likely cause = VCG

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

midlandtech
09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Most likely cause = VCG

That's my knee jerk response as well. I hope that is the case... If so it will get replaced tomorrow

SoarinZHP
09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
VCG... and you probably won't be able to tell just looking at it because they usually leak closest to the firewall....

midlandtech
09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
How long/difficult is the job?

BCS_ZHP
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Hour to an hour & a half max. 1 being easy and 10 being hard, maybe a 2.5-3 because you have to clean the old gasket off the VC very well and then get the RTV silicone on the half moons by the cams to make it seal. Look up a DIY with pics, its straight forward and easy. And while you're in there, consider replacing your spark plugs if its been more than 60K miles.

midlandtech
09-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Hour to an hour & a half max. 1 being easy and 10 being hard, maybe a 2.5-3 because you have to clean the old gasket off the VC very well and then get the RTV silicone on the half moons by the cams to make it seal. Look up a DIY with pics, its straight forward and easy. And while you're in there, consider replacing your spark plugs if its been more than 60K miles.

Cool thanks. Is it typically an item carried at the average parts store?

BCS_ZHP
09-28-2013, 07:00 PM
You'll need to find a Euro/BMW-centric parts store, Advance Auto Parts is not likely to have it.

midlandtech
09-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Ok. Hopefully that won't be too difficult

mLuMaN83
09-28-2013, 07:47 PM
On my list as well for the VCG. While I'm in there I'm doing new plugs also.

Nivo
09-29-2013, 06:04 AM
I did my VCG when I did the Vanos, Then I started to have the smell. Turns out it was my oil filter housing gasket, only smelled when the car was fully warmed up. no leaks at the VCG at all.

2 most likely places for an oil leak.

mLuMaN83
09-29-2013, 07:01 AM
I did my VCG when I did the Vanos, Then I started to have the smell. Turns out it was my oil filter housing gasket, only smelled when the car was fully warmed up. no leaks at the VCG at all.

2 most likely places for an oil leak.

True. I also made sure I did that when I did my cooling system. The original one was like hard plastic at 119k.

midlandtech
09-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Well I found a Vcg leak at the back of the engine near the firewall as mentioned by you good folks. I purchased a new gasket but was unable to acquire the bolt gaskets (little grommet looking things) from the parts store. Apparently they are special order item. So I left frustrated that a shop would stock only half the parts needed to complete the job and will have to buy the repairing parts tomorrow...

danewilson77
09-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Well I found a Vcg leak at the back of the engine near the firewall as mentioned by you good folks. I purchased a new gasket but was unable to acquire the bolt gaskets (little grommet looking things) from the parts store. Apparently they are special order item. So I left frustrated that a shop would stock only half the parts needed to complete the job and will have to buy the repairing parts tomorrow...

Ugh. You need 15 of them.

mLuMaN83
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
WhoA! Wait... what? I just ordered this from ECS...http://www.ecstuning.com/ES18833/ Do I need something else? It wont ship till monday. Help asap!

Edit... I found them. Good thing I checked this thread before bed. I need to redo my order!

midlandtech
09-30-2013, 05:55 AM
WhoA! Wait... what? I just ordered this from ECS...http://www.ecstuning.com/ES18833/ Do I need something else? It wont ship till monday. Help asap!

Edit... I found them. Good thing I checked this thread before bed. I need to redo my order!

Glad ya caught it in time.