PDA

View Full Version : FRent: MIS RTAB Tool

Imola.ZHP
10-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Updated 20 July 2021

Up for rent is a MIS RTAB tool.

General
When I first started this, 10/2013, I saw a range of $25-$45 for rental, please let me know if this becomes un-competitive. I am not looking to get rich here, in fact I want to be the cheapest option available for our community, so if you find it cheaper, let me know and I will try my best to match it. Shipping costs are the biggest obstacle with the tool, so I very well may not be able to match, especially if you find a local rental. If that is the case then no hard feelings, go ahead and take the better deal. If you are in the Memphis area, I will lower the rate depending on how far I have to drive to meet you to drop off and pick up the tool. I live near downtown.

The Deposit
I have been taking in a $100 deposit and refunding $75 when the tool returns. The tool cost me $94 shipped (new) in 2013. I use PayPal or Venmo to rent the tool, unless you are local you can use cash if you prefer, if using PayPal please send the funds as "Friends and Family" to save on fee's. I will send the partial refund back as "Friends and Family" to save fee's for you. PM me for my Venmo or PayPal Address.

Shipping, Total Cost and Shipping Details
At this time, July 2021, it currently cost $8.45 to ship it flat rate USPS. Out of your $100 deposit I spend $8.45 to ship the tool to you, after you are done you pay an additional $8.45 out of your pocket to ship it back, then I refund $75. Your total cost is $33.45. Most of the time the box can make two trips, but if the box comes in looking really rough and mangled, just pick up a new one at the post office when you send it back, they should not charge you for the box. It might be best, however, to take some packing tape with you so you can tape the box well. It is a heavy tool in a small box, I usually ship it with some packing material to keep it from shifting around to much, please hold on to that packing material and use it to send it back. If you loose the packing material, no big deal, please just shove some newspaper or something in with it to keep it from shifting around in the box to much, which can ultimately damage the box. Sometimes PayPal gives me an address when these funds come in, sometimes it does not, so please provide a mailing address at some point in our PM communication.

Transparency
Out of that $25 I will have paid $8.45 to ship it to you, I will have put back about $5 to replace the threaded rod. For whatever reason the threaded rod will stretch out over 4-5 uses and at that point must be replaced. It is not terribly expensive and I do not hold the user responsible for replacing the threaded rod, so please let me know if you have difficulty with the tool. The few bucks left over ($11.55) covers my drive to and from the post office and buys me a cheap sandwich.

Timing
There is no time limit on the tool, if you keep it forever, then you paid $100 for it. Just give me a heads up that you are keeping it forever so I can take this post down.

Next Person in Line
Sometimes if I get a few members lined up I can have one member send it to the next member, this saves on shipping costs which I don't mind partially passing on to both members. If you would, please send me a PM before you ship it back to me so that I can arrange to have you ship it to the next member should the timing work out. But again, there is no time limit, so please do not feel rushed, even if someone is waiting next in line to rent the tool.

PM
Please feel free to PM me with any additional questions or concerns!

SC4ME
12-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I successfully rented, used, and returned Marcus' (Imola.ZHP) MIS RTAB tool.
First, I waited until last minute to decided to rent from someone. Marcus was first to respond and had it in the mail immediately. It arrived on schedule, I used it and returned it (Flat rate shipping box <$6 ). Marcus immediately returned the deposit. No worries there.

As for how the tool worked, well I am glad I had it. Would have been a real PITA without.

One hint - after watching several DIY videos, I saw the tool being used from either side. However, if you examine the rear trailing arm bracket where the bushing in press fit into, you will notice one side is very squared off while the other side is rounded on the OD (outside diameter) and beveled on the ID (inside diameter). It works best if the tool's support base (the U-shaped piece) is located on the squared off side - this greatly reduces the chances of it slipping off the RTA when tourqe is applied. Also, always insert new busing from the beveled side (it really helps get the bushing in straight and without damage)

If your are replacing RTABs, do yourself a favor and get the tool. yeah, $25 is a bit for tool rental, but afterwards you will know it was worth it.

Pip
12-20-2013, 04:56 PM
This is a great idea and glad you could help a member out. I know Dane has been doing the same with some srs reader(s).

Imola.ZHP
12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
I successfully rented, used, and returned Marcus' (Imola.ZHP) MIS RTAB tool.
First, I waited until last minute to decided to rent from someone. Marcus was first to respond and had it in the mail immediately. It arrived on schedule, I used it and returned it (Flat rate shipping box <$6 ). Marcus immediately returned the deposit. No worries there.

As for how the tool worked, well I am glad I had it. Would have been a real PITA without.

One hint - after watching several DIY videos, I saw the tool being used from either side. However, if you examine the rear trailing arm bracket where the bushing in press fit into, you will notice one side is very squared off while the other side is rounded on the OD (outside diameter) and beveled on the ID (inside diameter). It works best if the tool's support base (the U-shaped piece) is located on the squared off side - this greatly reduces the chances of it slipping off the RTA when tourqe is applied. Also, always insert new busing from the beveled side (it really helps get the bushing in straight and without damage)

If your are replacing RTABs, do yourself a favor and get the tool. yeah, $25 is a bit for tool rental, but afterwards you will know it was worth it.

Thanks for the reply/review and for renting the tool. I paid for the shipping to you out of that $25 ($5.80), so I netted a little less than $20, not looking to get rich here, just want to help other members. I don't know why, but I didn't even think about searching the forums for a tool rental before doing this job myself; if I had, I would have gladly just rented one myself. I read about and watched a few video's of people using the tool and the other ways to remove the bushings not using the tool. I quickly ordered the tool after watching and reading about ways to do the job without the tool (not fun!).

The tool is back in my toolbox ready for the next renter if anyone needs it!

Taliben
06-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Hey man is this tool still for rent? I'm local and hopefully I'll be doing my RTABs mid July.

Pip
06-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Might rent this in the future because it is a cheap way to do this kind of thing. Pricing is spot on and better because no beefy deposit. Bimmerforums is ~$80 minus $50 deposit or something.

Imola.ZHP
07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Hey man is this tool still for rent? I'm local and hopefully I'll be doing my RTABs mid July.

I just replied to your PM, one of the questions was time frame, I should have it fixed around that time. Thanks!

Might rent this in the future because it is a cheap way to do this kind of thing. Pricing is spot on and better because no beefy deposit. Bimmerforums is ~$80 minus $50 deposit or something.

I'll beat that end-price ($30) Pip, but I do ask for more up front just to cover my initial $94 investment.

Thanks!

Imola.ZHP
07-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Tool is finally fixed!

Out for rent to local enthusiast, Taliben, as of today, should be back and ready to go back out within a week or so.

Thanks!

danewilson77
07-19-2014, 05:05 PM
And he has the fender roller. Looks like he's doing some good work.

Imola.ZHP
08-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Tool is back and ready to be rented.

CarbonZHP
08-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Think ill be ready to take this soon. Just bought some Rogues for 60

Imola.ZHP
08-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Think ill be ready to take this soon. Just bought some Rogues for 60

Sending PM!

LivesNearCostco
09-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Looking to rent this in a few weeks. Bought some PowerFlex RTABs for my E36 and need a way to get the old bushings out. New Powerflex bushings arrive next Friday.

Imola.ZHP
09-14-2014, 02:49 PM
^ sending PM!

It's so worth it; makes a job that can be difficult very easy.

LivesNearCostco
09-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Marcus, thanks! I watched the video and am looking forward to trying it.

LivesNearCostco
09-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Arrived yesterday, thanks for quick ship. PowerFlex RTABs due to arrive today. But yesterady I spoke with an experienced BMW racer, welder and mechanic, who often does well in BMW club racing. He said he never found a poly RTAB that would last, and he races on OEM M3 RTABs with the limiters. Also said a spherical bearing works well there if your racing class allows them (his does not). I think I'm going to go ahead and install the PowerFlex and see how they do and how much they squeak.

slater
09-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Arrived yesterday, thanks for quick ship. PowerFlex RTABs due to arrive today. But yesterady I spoke with an experienced BMW racer, welder and mechanic, who often does well in BMW club racing. He said he never found a poly RTAB that would last, and he races on OEM M3 RTABs with the limiters. Also said a spherical bearing works well there if your racing class allows them (his does not). I think I'm going to go ahead and install the PowerFlex and see how they do and how much they squeak.

it's because of the axial movement of the bushing - and yes, a spherical bearing would be the best solution for that location. ground control makes some, but they are pricey. i also think a lowered car (such as a track car) would be stressing the bushing a bit more than a car at stock height.

all that said, i am about the install some PowerFlex RTABs as well. my car is stock height and i'm not planning on lowering it.

peter

Imola.ZHP
09-20-2014, 05:43 AM

Glad it arrived quickly, good luck on the install! As for the information you came upon, I don't know to be honest. I went with AKG poly's and I haven't had any squeaking at all. My car is lowered just a hair (H&R sport cup kit, ~0.5" drop) but if my OEM's lasted ~115k (or at least on one side, the other was still good to go), even if the poly's only last 1/2 as long I'm ok with that. I don't drive the car as much anymore and it seems like a trend that is only going to grow. Not because there is anything wrong with the car, but I moved 2.2 miles from work, I'm finishing up school this semester, taking a year off before I go to professional school and we drive my better 1/2 suv a lot because the roads here are total crap.

Anyhow, good luck on the install when you get to it. There is no time limit on the tool rental so do not feel rushed at all.

Thanks again!

Imola.ZHP
10-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Anyone else in California need the tool in the upcoming month or so? Its on tour over there right now, lol. Going from LivesNearCostco directly to Avetiso, who's next?

LivesNearCostco
10-06-2014, 11:17 AM
BimmerWorld sells Powerflex poly RTABs for $80. AKG poly are $85 (75D) or $90 (90A). The BimmerWorld RTAB bearing kit is $200. AKG spherical bearing is $200. Ground Control RTAB bearing is $300. All prices are per pair (1 pair per car).

Finished the installation Saturday night. Tool worked very well. Here's a picture. of the tool in action on my car (left/driver's side bushing extraction). I didn't use the tool to install the poly bushings.

Imola.ZHP
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
[emoji106][emoji106]

--Marcus

CarbonZHP
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Used the generic ball bearing puller from AutoZone and it worked by the way.

Imola.ZHP
10-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Used the generic ball bearing puller from AutoZone and it worked by the way.

Good to know!

LivesNearCostco
10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Does the generic bearing puller pull from the outside or inside of the bushing? Or does it just work like the MIS tool?

Tool has been shipped on to Avetsio!

TWong1200
11-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Is this tool available? I'll be needing it in the coming weeks. Thanks!

Imola.ZHP
11-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Is this tool available? I'll be needing it in the coming weeks. Thanks!

I have it, but a local guy is supposed to meet up with me this week to rent and use it this weekend. Not sure how long he will need it, hopefully just for the weekend. It sure seems to like traveling to Sunny Southern California, lol.

TWong1200
11-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I have it, but a local guy is supposed to meet up with me this week to rent and use it this weekend. Not sure how long he will need it, hopefully just for the weekend. It sure seems to like traveling to Sunny Southern California, lol.
Ok great. Just keep me posted please. I'll see if I can snag one locally.

Imola.ZHP
11-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Local guy is picking it up tomorrow, but auto crossing this weekend, he is planning to do the swap next weekend and return the tool to me sometime during that following week. I'll let you know when I have it back and if you haven't found one local, I'll get it shipped out to you.

Thanks!

TWong1200
11-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Local guy is picking it up tomorrow, but auto crossing this weekend, he is planning to do the swap next weekend and return the tool to me sometime during that following week. I'll let you know when I have it back and if you haven't found one local, I'll get it shipped out to you.

Thanks!
I ended up sourcing one locally, thanks!

Imola.ZHP
11-11-2014, 06:58 AM
[emoji106][emoji106]
Good deal!

--Marcus

Imola.ZHP
12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Bump.

Tool is back in my possession, ready for another trip if anyone needs it.

Imola.ZHP
03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Bump, spring time is here, anyone looking to change their RTAB's?

ELCID86
03-31-2015, 04:25 PM
On my list of To-Do, but not sure when I'll get around toit.

Imola.ZHP
03-31-2015, 05:30 PM
On my list of To-Do, but not sure when I'll get around toit.

Its a petty quick install, especially if your switching to poly, I don't think I could have gotten my old ones out without the tool though.

Vas
05-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Still available ? Price to rent?

Imola.ZHP
05-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Still available ? Price to rent?

Sending PM!

ZacharyMikel
01-01-2016, 02:29 PM
I am in the market for an RTAB tool for a couple of days. I don't want to rent one from Bimmerworld, but I will if I have to. Save me!
-Zach

Imola.ZHP
01-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I am in the market for an RTAB tool for a couple of days. I don't want to rent one from Bimmerworld, but I will if I have to. Save me!
-Zach

Sending PM!

ZacharyMikel
01-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Super easy transaction! This tool makes RTAB's a breeze. Thanks Marcus!

Jconlin16
02-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Hey Marcus, is the tool available?

Imola.ZHP
02-21-2016, 07:47 AM
I have it in my possession, but the threads have stretched out again (seems to happen every 4th-5th use) I will order a new threaded rod tomorrow and let you know when it comes in.

Imola.ZHP
02-28-2016, 06:15 AM
The threaded rod came in yesterday! Shoot me a PM if you still need it, I can get it out as early as tomorrow [emoji106]

--Marcus

Jconlin16
02-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Sent you a pm earlier!

Imola.ZHP
02-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Sent you a pm earlier!

Replied! Also changing my notifications to email me when I get a PM, sorry for the delay, thank you for your patience!

Vas
03-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Looking to rent this asap.

Imola.ZHP
03-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Looking to rent this asap.

Hey there! The tool is still out right now, if you can wait I will let you know as soon as it comes back.

Thanks!

Vas
03-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Hey there! The tool is still out right now, if you can wait I will let you know as soon as it comes back.

Thanks!

Sounds good. Thanks

Vas
04-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Rental went great. Marcus is easy to deal with.

Tool is heading back to him.

Thanks man.

munroe7
04-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Hey Marcus! I would like to rent this once you get it back. I just ordered some bushings from Vas^

Imola.ZHP
04-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Hey Marcus! I would like to rent this once you get it back. I just ordered some bushings from Vas^

Thanks! PM sent!

Also updating original post, since it is from 10/2013.

brownman
04-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Hello there, I'm also interested in renting the tool after munroe7 is done with it. I'm located in HI. Hope it's not an issue. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Imola.ZHP
04-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Hello there, I'm also interested in renting the tool after munroe7 is done with it. I'm located in HI. Hope it's not an issue. Thanks.

According to USPS's website it should still be a flat rate both ways. I'll keep you posted, you are next in the queue.

Sockethead
04-15-2016, 10:03 AM
We just sent flat rate boxes from Puerto Rico to Charleston, SC and Hilliard, OH. Not only standard rates but all the boxes got to their destinations in two days! That's better than domestic...

brownman
04-17-2016, 08:05 PM
According to USPS's website it should still be a flat rate both ways. I'll keep you posted, you are next in the queue.
Sounds like a plan. I have the z4m bushings and vorshlag limiters ready to install. Thanks.

Imola.ZHP
04-26-2016, 03:11 PM
We just sent flat rate boxes from Puerto Rico to Charleston, SC and Hilliard, OH. Not only standard rates but all the boxes got to their destinations in two days! That's better than domestic...

Thanks for sharing, thats great! I love PR BTW!

Sounds like a plan. I have the z4m bushings and vorshlag limiters ready to install. Thanks.

I still have not heard from the current renter, shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.

Sockethead
04-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks for sharing, thats great! I love PR BTW!

So do we! There is so much to do/see there....anyone interested in going, skip the all inclusive and the tours, rent a car and go explore.

Imola.ZHP
07-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Bump!

Wow! Back from the dead!

A local guy I rented the tool too contacted me through FB for another local guy that had one stuck on an M3. I ran over Sunday morning and popped it out for him in about 5 minutes, it was a 35 minute drive both ways, lol, but it was SOOOOOO easy. He fought with it for half of a Saturday trying to get it out! I forgotten about the tool and hadn't done it since I did my own. The tool has been in my toolbox, unused, since it came back from Hawaii in June of 2016!

Anyhow, long story short, I remembered I had a tool for rent! It worked fine for us, no problem with the threads, its ready to ship out ASAP! Updated original post to reflect changes in pricing for the rental (up a whopping $5 in 5 years) and change in shipping (up $0.40 each way since June 2016).

Imola.ZHP
10-09-2019, 07:06 PM
B
U
M
P

Imola.ZHP
07-20-2021, 05:48 AM
Bump... Someone recently reached out to me regarding this tool, its still available for rent after all of these years!