PDA

View Full Version : Industrial/Automotive Double Backing Tape for Splitter

das boots
10-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Somewhere way back, we did discuss this before and I think we never did come up with a definite product and supplier? I forget.....

I am still on the market for a double back tape for the OEM splitter. A product that does not come off and flap around with the frontal wind. And mostly, does not deteriorate from weather/temperature. But can be removed when required and cleaned with Goof Off. The bottom side is not problem. Since they do come with holes for the plastic rivets. It is the top part that is the problem.

Temporarily mounted for aesthetics. Any suggestions would be appreciated.......but please...no drilling of holes for screws or whatever......Thanks.

BCS_ZHP
10-05-2013, 04:04 AM
3M double sided tape, 3/4-1" wide, maybe 1/16-1/8" thick. Stop by a body shop and ask them as they have huge rolls of it, they'll probably sell you a few feet for cheap. Then you'll want to apply it to the entire topside edge and to the high spots on the bottom that will come in contact with your bumper.

JupiterBMW
10-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Home Depot has three versions of double sided tape, and one is the heavy duty outdoor tape, I want to say it holds 20 pounds for every inch of tape.... I forget exactly but if you go into Home Depot, you'll see exactly what I mean. I roll was about $5 and was enough to do my splitters. No issues yet, about 6 months/4k mikes.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

das boots
10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I know of a local body shop where I deliver the monthly issues of the BMW newsletter magazine. Let me swing by next week and see what they got after our monthly BMW meeting this coming Tuesday to pick up the newsletters. And if they do not have them.....

Home Depot to check out what they got.....

Thanks.

wsmeyer
10-05-2013, 09:24 AM
The stuff you want is 3M VHB. It's so strong you need to really think about if you'll ever want to separate the parts again as it may not be possible.

das boots
10-05-2013, 08:33 PM
The stuff you want is 3M VHB. It's so strong you need to really think about if you'll ever want to separate the parts again as it may not be possible.

Is this from HD or from an auto body shop?

wsmeyer
10-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Here in Los Angeles you can find it at auto body supply stores, larger craft stores and I even saw it at a marine store. You can also just order it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m%20vhb

das boots
10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
OK Thanks.

JupiterBMW
10-06-2013, 05:49 PM
By clicking on the link, I saw the stuff I used...

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414P-60-Inch-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B005SRECEU/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Note the price difference between the two.

Good luck either way!

das boots
10-06-2013, 06:05 PM
By clicking on the link, I saw the stuff I used...

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414P-60-Inch-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B005SRECEU/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Note the price difference between the two.

Good luck either way!

Any problems of the splitter detaching on high speeds?

JupiterBMW
10-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Well, I think I've just touched over 100, but no, no issues... I don't drive any faster than that...

az3579
10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't see an issue with the splitter staying in place. Also think about the design of the thing; if anything, the wind will force it in place against the tape.

JupiterBMW
10-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Let me also mention, I washed my car with a pressure washer last week, no issues.... :thumbsup

das boots
10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Let me try the cheaper of the two......yeah, I know. I'm cheap. But as long as it works.....

JupiterBMW
10-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Let me try the cheaper of the two......yeah, I know. I'm cheap. But as long as it works.....

It's not being cheap, it's being smart. If you're not happy with the less expensive, get the other one.

MrMaico
10-08-2013, 04:06 AM
See if you can find a couple of packets of this stuff to go with the 3M tape.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41j%2BpCASWlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381233332&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+06396

It made a big difference in strength when I've used the red VHB tape.

das boots
10-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Time to swing by HD again to see if they carry this....if not...I might just get the denatured alchohol way.

MrMaico
10-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Time to swing by HD again to see if they carry this....if not...I might just get the denatured alchohol way.

This stuff isn't really a cleaner like alcohol would be, it just makes the surface sticky so the tape can get a better grip. If you don't find any and you're not in a big rush, just PM me a shipping address I'll send you a couple of packets.

Barry

JupiterBMW
10-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Or just use Brakleen. That's what I used, completely strips ALL oils and dirt from the surface and makes for great adhesion. I sprayed it generously into a soft towel and then just wiped the bumper am where the splitter was going, worked great.

wsmeyer
10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
See if you can find a couple of packets of this stuff to go with the 3M tape.....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41j%2BpCASWlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381233332&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+06396

It made a big difference in strength when I've used the red VHB tape.

Interesting. I'd never seen that stuff, found info from 3M here:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSufSevTsZxtUNY_G5xfSevUqe vTSevTSevTSeSSSSSS--

das boots
10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Or just use Brakleen. That's what I used, completely strips ALL oils and dirt from the surface and makes for great adhesion. I sprayed it generously into a soft towel and then just wiped the bumper am where the splitter was going, worked great.

Wouldn't Brakleen remove surface paint? I know it is pretty powerful cleaner.

JupiterBMW
10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Wouldn't Brakleen remove surface paint? I know it is pretty powerful cleaner.

No, it didn't remove any paint.

das boots
10-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok. Thanks.

ELCID86
10-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Joop, why did we put screws into the splitters when we were at Dane's?

JupiterBMW
10-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Joop, why did we put screws into the splitters when we were at Dane's?

Honestly, at the time I wasn't confident that the tape alone would be sufficient, at least not long term. I had plans to put screws into the bottom of my splitters as well. But, I never got around to it with my car, and they're still in place just fine, so until I see them start to come off, I'm not worrying about it. If they do come off at any point, I'll replace the tape and then perhaps install the screws.

ELCID86
10-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks. Sounds like a plan (hoping they don't come off "at speed"). As others have said, the wind should help keep them in place theoretically.

das boots
10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
This stuff isn't really a cleaner like alcohol would be, it just makes the surface sticky so the tape can get a better grip. If you don't find any and you're not in a big rush, just PM me a shipping address I'll send you a couple of packets.

Barry

Barry...received packages with the VHB tape today. Just in time. I spent a few to do the final fitting and drilling three holes per side for the plastic expanding rivets. Tomorrow will take care of the cleaning of the area and mounting. Thank you, Barry.

das boots
10-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Installed the splitters. Thank you to all specially MrMaico (Barry) for the guidance and supplies. Also after cleaning bumpers for the pre-install, I now know that the bumpers were painted by the PO. He really did a lousy job. But I will need to do the proper paint on bumper sometime in the future.

MrMaico
10-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Barry...received packages with the VHB tape today. Just in time. I spent a few to do the final fitting and drilling three holes per side for the plastic expanding rivets. Tomorrow will take care of the cleaning of the area and mounting. Thank you, Barry.

Glad to hear it made it safe and sound Lawrence. Hope it does the job for you. Looking forward to pics when they're mounted. :-)

EDIT: Oops, I see they are already done! Looks great! If I ever do splitters I'd have to paint them to match the body like yours.

Barry