PDA

View Full Version : Paint or touch up?

yura
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Pulling out of a garage an hour ago, clipped a garbage can hanging off the curb (not usually there and I was in a rush & distracted)... end result:

http://i.imgur.com/P0ULy5e.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/5M4Zwet.jpg?1

Should I try to touch-up paint or go straight to a bodyshop? :(
I'd imagine the chances of finding a used skirt in good condition and matching colour will be slim to none...

Avetiso
10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
You could touch it up, but it won't be perfect. It's in such a hard spot to notice, I probably wouldn't mind it. Just see how much of that marking is removable. That's where I'd start.

BCS_ZHP
10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
The lower skirt on your 335 should readily pop off, do that and take it to a body shop. My guess is $100-150 to respray it.

yura
10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
You could touch it up, but it won't be perfect. It's in such a hard spot to notice, I probably wouldn't mind it. Just see how much of that marking is removable. That's where I'd start.

The photos show the 'cleaned up' version. I washed it with water, then even a magic eraser (bad, I know), and what you see is the result.

The lower skirt on your 335 should readily pop off, do that and take it to a body shop. My guess is $100-150 to respray it.

Probably the way to go. Will have to drop by some bodyshops this weekend.

ryankokesh
10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah, respray would be your best bet. Touch up paint seems to work better when there's something of a ridge for it to catch on. This being a scratch, it doesn't have quite the same "cradling" properties for the paint as say, a rock chip would have.

Coulda been much worse! :)

az3579
10-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I feel ya man... I once scraped my entire side skirt on a piece of ice while trying to get around someone who was clearly being incompetent by not turning for 5 minutes coming out of a parking lot... that pictured damage will definitely require a little bodywork and respraying.

ryankokesh
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I've heard good stuff about this company, but I've never tried it myself.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com

Might not be worth the time though, since it'll probably be relatively cheap at a body shop.

yura
10-09-2013, 08:33 PM
A friend that does bodyshop painting said this'll run me about $300 at his shop, but that they are also one of the more expensive ones around; suggested a different shop just down the street, so I'll talk to them on the weekend. Hopefully this won't be an arm and a leg :(

Newjack
10-09-2013, 08:54 PM
A friend that does bodyshop painting said this'll run me about $300 at his shop, but that they are also one of the more expensive ones around; suggested a different shop just down the street, so I'll talk to them on the weekend. Hopefully this won't be an arm and a leg :(

FYI, $300 is really steep for just one side skirt. I can have my entire front bumper resprayed for $300 from a very reputable paint shop right up the road.

I think Bruce's estimate was right on the nose at $100-150. Also, let them know you will pay cash.

Lanister
10-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Touch it up and if you don't like it, then take it to have it re-sprayed. Who knows, the touch-up job could come out well.

az3579
10-10-2013, 03:18 AM
FYI, $300 is really steep for just one side skirt. I can have my entire front bumper resprayed for $300 from a very reputable paint shop right up the road.

I think Bruce's estimate was right on the nose at $100-150. Also, let them know you will pay cash.

That actually sounds way too cheap...

johnrando
10-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Tell them cash, pay out of your pocket (not insurance), and see what deal they can give you. I vote for paint.

Avetiso
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Cash talks. Body shops always try to milk insurance, so they raise prices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Torxuvin
10-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I was going to say that some of that looks like it could be polished out, but respray is definitely the best policy. Shake it off. It happens to all of us occasionally. I did the same thing with a parking stop when I first picked up my car. :facepalm

EmDeeAr
10-12-2013, 05:42 AM
A few weeks after I picked up my ZHP, I ran over a pile of sticks that kicked up and scratched my passenger side-skirt. I was pissed for a while, but I can't be too upset, because it's honestly part of wear and tear.

Wait for a while and see how you feel about it. My car isn't quite 10/10, so a few blemishes here and there are ok. If your car is nearly immaculate, though, then I'd get it fixed.

Good luck brotha.

das boots
10-12-2013, 07:40 PM
I've heard good stuff about this company, but I've never tried it myself.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com

Might not be worth the time though, since it'll probably be relatively cheap at a body shop.

This is where I purchased all of my primer, base coat and clear coats for my exterior mouldings paint job. Did everything my own. Came out good.

ryankokesh
10-13-2013, 03:59 AM
I was thinking of doing my molding like that too! How hard was it?

Sent from my iPhone

das boots
10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Easy. Just take your time. What I did was to get a used set of mouldings and did the preps, paint and clear coats. And when ready, just replace the existing mouldings. Be prepared to purchase a new set of clips and rubber grommets. Go to automotivetouchups website, they got instructions on how to do the primers, paints (base coats) and clear coats. I used the sun as my baking oven. See a pics of the splitter mounting on my other thread.

yura
10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Well I finally dropped off the sideskirt at a bodyshop this morning. Turns out there was a pretty big crack on the very end of the skirt, another crack forming in the middle, and lots of scratches at the bottom which I was not even aware of. Bodyshop quoted me $250 cash all in, so considering the repair of cracks, I don't think that's too bad. Will be ready to go by Thursday!

Avetiso
10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Nice, dude. Keep it clean!

ELCID86
10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Sounds very reasonable. So are you driving around w/ no skirt? #flasher

yura
10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Sounds very reasonable. So are you driving around w/ no skirt? #flasher

Yup, she's so naked :(
Was supposed to hear back from the shop today, but nothing yet. Will ping them tomorrow if they don't call!

yura
10-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Got the sideskirt back and put it on.

Paint looks pretty good - only noticed one speck of dust, so I'm happy with that.

They fixed the crack at the back of the skirt, but it came right back as soon as I put it on. I'm not sure what to do with it at this point... perhaps drill a small stress relief hole, fill it with bondo, and touch it up? It's in a spot no one will ever notice.

Another issue is that the fitment seems to have changed. I'm not sure whether the shop heated the plastic up while fixing it, or did something else that could have affected the fitment, but it's definitely not as good as the other side. The driver's side fitment is perfect - tight and flush everywhere. This side I couldn't get tight no matter what I did (took the sideskirt off several times while playing with this). There is a noticeable gap along the rear end of the skirt (not huge, maybe 4-5mm) and it also sticks out past the quarter panel by a few mm. I'm a perfectionist, so I know this will bug me. The fit around the door opening was also a bit weird.

I do want to eventually get a full M-Tech body kit, so this part will be eventually replaced, but still... a bit weird. Any thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/NYE4nas.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/93AVY8r.jpg?1 (http://imgur.com/93AVY8r)

Avetiso
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Probably bent the plastic while sanding it too hard. Happens. Shouldn't.