PDA

View Full Version : FS: Alpine White ZHP sedan, 84k miles, NJ

illirep
10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Delete

JupiterBMW
10-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't pan out for you Bill. GLWS.

Lanister
10-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Glws Bill!

Sent from outer space...

johnrando
10-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Bill, good luck with the sale. It would be good to put your online listing price here to save people the extra hop.

jiggz
10-11-2013, 11:47 AM
I just takes 1 buyer, and AW is both rare & desirable so I think it'll sell sooner than later.

I'm curious about the ad though - it says cloth alcantara upholstery, cold weather package, and park distance control, but the car doesn't have those options. Not trying to nit-pick, and I'm not buying the car, but just noticed that.

Good luck w/ the sale....the ad says 'sale pending' so maybe it's about to find a new home?

illirep
10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Still available

illirep
10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Well apparently, there is a member of this site from the DC area that has been pursing this car directly through the dealership. They are trading in a brand new Kia.

They claim to know me and have spoken with me about this car. However, I have not spoken directly about this particular car to any members of this forum.

Does anyone know who this member is, or does this member care to identify themselves?

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Well apparently, there is a member of this site from the DC area that has been pursing this car directly through the dealership. They are trading in a brand new Kia.

They claim to know me and have spoken with me about this car. However, I have not spoken directly about this particular car to any members of this forum.

Does anyone know who this member is, or does this member care to identify themselves?

If that was the case, don't you think they'd come to you directly on here and go for preferred Mafia pricing?

ELCID86
10-21-2013, 04:26 PM
That's what I was thinking.

PirateZHP
10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Personally, I am just waiting for Bill to get really tired of trying to sell it and give me an even trade for my zhp... just sayin'

Avetiso
10-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Personally, I am just waiting for Bill to get really tired of trying to sell it and give me an even trade for my zhp... just sayin'
Knowing Bill, wouldn't hold my breath. He knows what it's worth and will wait as long as necessary.

PirateZHP
10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Knowing Bill, wouldn't hold my breath. He knows what it's worth and will wait as long as necessary.

Oh I know... as my great grandpa would always say "Boy, you can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster."

Basically... it ain't gonna happen

illirep
10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
I would have to agree. I speculate they are not really a member here but are pretending to be for negotiating power.

Figured no harm in asking.

illirep
10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Oh I know... as my great grandpa would always say "Boy, you can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster."

Basically... it ain't gonna happen

That is a great quote. I've been tempted to register the damn thing and go to work on it. But I don't like being underwater on a car. Given the premium I put on the color, plus shipping, and fees, there simply is not enough room for me to do that on this one. If I were normal, the car doesn't need anything. But I'm admittedly not normal...at least with my bimmers

Avetiso
10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
I would have to agree. I speculate they are not really a member here but are pretending to be for negotiating power.

Figured no harm in asking.
Theory: Someone from E46F who knows you are a member here is simply lying.

Nobody here would drive a Kia.

:rofl Kidding.

az3579
10-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I've been tempted to register the damn thing and go to work on it. But I don't like being underwater on a car. Given the premium I put on the color, plus shipping, and fees, there simply is not enough room for me to do that on this one. If I were normal, the car doesn't need anything. But I'm admittedly not normal...at least with my bimmers

The thing is, Bill (and I'm sure you know this), but you just can't win 'em all. Take it for what it's worth; given the number of ZHPs you've refurbished, you're bound to get one or two that you just can't make money on. It is what it is; someone will buy this one and enjoy it, and you will find another to refurbish and sell. If you don't think it's worth your time, then I wouldn't even bother registering it, because that's even more money to put you "under water". If to a normal person this needs nothing, then at least (hopefully) you can break even by selling as-is.

In the mean time, you have a silver grey to be worrying about! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

az3579
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Restoring ZHPs is one hell of a hobby. Keep on! :thumbsup

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

E_Rak
10-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Bill there is no shame in what you are doing here. As a perfectionist and someone with realistic expectations, it is sensible for you to opt to sell the car rather than restore it. You know there is another out there (AHEM, listening Joop?) That is in the condition you want. There is nothing wrong with what you're doing.

illirep
10-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks Evan. I'm just overly sensitive to how things are perceived. Reputation is very important to me, especially with what I have in the works ;)!

JupiterBMW
10-23-2013, 03:50 AM
^completely agreed. Worth mentioning that I don't turn profits on any of the cars that I share with this community. I know there are people here who don't believe that, but if you apply common sense, and do a rough mental tally of the cost of the items that I put into them, it is fairly easy to discern that a profit is not even remotely possible. The cars that I choose to document on here are my hobby cars. I enjoy 'restoring' ZHP's, I get to drive them in the meantime, and often times sell them within a few hundred bucks of what I have into them, sometimes positive, sometimes negative. Considering that I assume all the risk of buying a car sight unseen, taking them from obscure places and then resell them in the very active tri-state area, and lastly do not assign a value on the countless hours I spend on each car before moving on to the next project, I hope everyone would agree that there is no profit being made.

I credit my first 'nice' car for the rational behind what I do. Using my first paycheck post-college as a down payment, I bought a brand new 2004 Acura TSX for $32k out the door. When I wanted to trade that car in 10 months later for my first BMW, a 1999 323i sport, I got $18k for it! While it was a terrible decision, I rolled in a ton of negative equity, still managed to cut my car payment in half, and was driving my first BMW! However, I vowed never to fall victim of depreciation like that again. Now I drive much nicer cars than TSX's, and no longer get ass-raped by depreciation.

Full disclosure, there are other cars that I buy and sell for profit, BMW and non-BMW, that I use to fund my car addiction, but they don't get posted on car forums for several reasons. The two most prominent are that 1) car forum members have a problem with people flipping cars and 2) let's face it, everyone browsing car forum classifieds are looking for deals, not paying fair market value!

This car was never intended to be sold. I've been very public about the fact that I was searching for an Alpine White ZHP for several years. I agreed to pay what I did on this car, under the false assumption that I didn't have to replace all the odds and ends that I typically do. Since this was not the case, I wouldn't have the budget to do the proper interior swap that I had planned for her.

There is no way that I can justify putting close to $20k into a car that is worth $15k - $16k. Call me cheap, call me a fake auto enthusiast, call me what you want, but if I'm upside down by 20% in a car, that is enough to suck the enjoyment right out of the experience.

My name is Joop, and I approve this message. :biggrin

Seriously though, I think Bill has it right. We all get some sort of an enjoyment out of our hobby/cars, for some its modifying them, others its racing. Personally, Bill likes to restore. The beauty of his personal choice is that you can only restore them so much, so then its time to sell and move on. And lets be real, even if Bill makes a buck or two, so what... He's helping to preserve a slowly fading breed... And that in turn helps us all. :thumbsup

Keep on keepin' on brutha, and as always, GLWS.

If you do ever feel like throwing marketability to the wind, call me, I've got your AW ZHP.

illirep
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks Joop! I absolutely love your car, but it doesn't fit in my 3rd car budget right now, especially since I lost a key consulting client recently :(

JupiterBMW
10-23-2013, 11:35 AM
At first I read "...my 3rd car garage..."

I was thinking... Damn, strangely small garages in NJ maybe... Weird... :rofl