PDA

View Full Version : Coldest temps for detailing?

az3579
11-09-2013, 05:35 PM
We've reached the point where the temperatures are now regularly in the 40's. I still haven't completed a full detail on my car yet for the winter, and need to do this badly before it gets white up in this biotch.

What is the coldest temperature I can get away with and still be able to do an outside polish/seal job?

Avetiso
11-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought colder was better for detailing?

derbo
11-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Too cold can lead to freezing liquids on your car..

damn its getting that cold over there? I just drove around a few hours ago and its about 64F.

az3579
11-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Too cold can lead to freezing liquids on your car..

damn its getting that cold over there? I just drove around a few hours ago and its about 64F.

You... live... in... a... tropical... climate. :shifty

We're still seeing 50's for a few days over the next week but most of the days are in the 40's. I do not look forward to the 30's, 20's, and the occasional teens we get here sometimes. Those temps mean the car isn't getting washed till it hits 40's again. :(

cakM3
11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
We've reached the point where the temperatures are now regularly in the 40's. I still haven't completed a full detail on my car yet for the winter, and need to do this badly before it gets white up in this biotch.

What is the coldest temperature I can get away with and still be able to do an outside polish/seal job?

It's called a heated garage with a space heater BP... :p

HokieZHP
11-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I normally don't detail below 40* but that's just me. And that's more because it's too cold for me to be outside for that long haha. I usually use a heated garage though

az3579
11-09-2013, 08:02 PM
It's called a heated garage with a space heater BP... :p

That doesn't answer the question. :p

midlandtech
11-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I have detailed around 40 degrees... I'm not sure if colder temps hurts the products used but I know they hurt my hands

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

derbo
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
You... live... in... a... tropical... climate. :shifty

We're still seeing 50's for a few days over the next week but most of the days are in the 40's. I do not look forward to the 30's, 20's, and the occasional teens we get here sometimes. Those temps mean the car isn't getting washed till it hits 40's again. :(

What's snow.. .???. Lol.

But I see lower temps having a problem with liquids drying at normal speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2

echo46
11-10-2013, 05:33 AM
I would not detail below 50 degrees. The polishes and waxes will not apply properly.

cakM3
11-10-2013, 06:05 AM
I would not detail below 50 degrees. The polishes and waxes will not apply properly.

+1

unless you have a heated garage to do the detail in...:p

az3579
11-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the responses. I figured 50 and below would be too cold, but wasn't sure.

And yes, Charlie... I know what you're hinting at. ;)

echo46
11-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Heated garage and good beer:)

M0nk3y
11-10-2013, 02:26 PM
50 degrees is around the cut-off.

In lower temperature, and thus lower humidity conditions polishes can tend to dry out too quickly, dust, 1-flash pass...etc.

It is possible to work in lower temps, but it will give you headaches along the way

az3579
11-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Heated garage and good beer:)

Yes, minus the beer.

50 degrees is around the cut-off.

In lower temperature, and thus lower humidity conditions polishes can tend to dry out too quickly, dust, 1-flash pass...etc.

It is possible to work in lower temps, but it will give you headaches along the way

I wonder if this can be worked around by working in very small areas, giving it minimal time to be an issue...

Luckily I do have access to a (somewhat) heated garage, as hinted multiple times by a certain individual, so this won't be an issue. I was kind of hoping to do some of it here in the comfort of my own backyard, but it may not be in the cards due to temperature teetering between 40's and 50's nowadays.

Washburn
11-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I am in the same boat; Need to do a detail before snow, etc, although we have a 3rd/winter beater car.

I do have a garage and space heater and I can do it all in there as I always do ONR washes, but I have been procrastinating... :(

My plan is ONR wash, 'clay' using Nanoskin sponge (worked great on wife's new Mazda), wipe/wash again, polish (Duragloss 501 with Griots DA) and then seal with Blackfire Crystal Seal (WOWA product)...then if I still feel up to it, perhaps a 2nd coat of BFCS, OR a spray wax on top after the BGCS bonds/cures.

(wife's Mazda I just sealed right after ONR wash and Nanoskin; polishing was not really needed from what I could tell, as the car is only like 8 months old AND Mazdas have 'soft ' paint, so I didn't want to overkill as it didn't have any swirls anyway - and paint is still in great condition)

but the ZHP is going to get a polishing before BF CS goes on)

I guess in general, every step takes a bit longer when it's colder, and actually makes some steps easier, as water/waxes don't dry/haze quickly so you can sort of take your time in some steps...like, one can apply wax to 2 panels at a time instead of one, before doing the buffing, as it takes longer to haze...

ryankokesh
11-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Nanoskin makes it sooooo much easier. Especially for winter if you just want to get it smooth with a solid couple coats of wax. I'd highly recommend checking out collinite 476 for a winter wax, if you don't have something in mind already.

To actually answer your question though, I look for 50* weather without a lot of wind. (I get cold pretty easily, lol)

echo46
11-11-2013, 06:56 AM
On my detail, I am experimenting with the Klasse High Gloss Sealant followed by a few coats of dodo juice wax. The shine and depth is great, interested in seeing how it holds up this winter.

ryankokesh
11-11-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm a big proponent of the Klasse sealant... been using it for a while now. The dodo will wear off pretty quickly with winter weather, but I'd bet the klasse might get your through the winter protected!

echo46
11-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Yes I agree, I think I will probably do at least one or two dodo applications during the winter also.