PDA

View Full Version : Misfire cylinder 1 & 5

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 12:14 PM
So, I'm off of work today for my bday and I go into the garage and crank the zetchpa and walk away to let it warm up. When I came back to it, the Service Engine light was on. So, I drive over to the Advanced Auto to have them read it. Guy tells me that it's a misfire in cylinder 1 & 5.

What do you think I need to do? Replace spark plugs?

Also, it felt fine... so, can I drive the car or should I park it?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

With fingers touching the screen...

Avetiso
12-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Take it back to the PO. Unacceptable.

:rofl

LivesNearCostco
12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
What was the specific code number? Could be spark plugs or coil packs, or possibly one of the camshaft position sensors. Not sure if an intake leak can cause this code.

How many miles since spark plugs last replaced?

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
What was the specific code number? Could be spark plugs or coil packs, or possibly one of the camshaft position sensors. Not sure if an intake leak can cause this code.

How many miles since spark plugs last replaced?

I didn't get the codes... crap...

I don't know how long is been. Maybe Chris (Hokie) knows. I'll text him.

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Chris changed plugs at 120k. I'm at 160k now. He used oem plugs. Wouldn't think they'd be bad yet...

HokieZHP
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Now that i think about it, last winter I had a misfire code on a couple cylinders. I cleared them and waited to see if they came back. They never did so I didn't do anything about it.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Auto parts stores never seem to get it right with E46's. I would ask for the numbers. Where they p0305 and p0301 or the 1343,1345 type codes indicating fuel cutoff?

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
P0301 P0305 P0300

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's the deal... I've driven it for like 30 minutes now. I feel nothing different than before. No lack of power. No rough idle. Nothing.

How do I get these codes cleared?

HokieZHP
12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Here's the deal... I've driven it for like 30 minutes now. I feel nothing different than before. No lack of power. No rough idle. Nothing.

How do I get these codes cleared?

You can clear them with the code reader at any parts store

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
You can clear them with the code reader at any parts store

Guy at the parts store just refused to do it and said it is illegal...

He was a bit of a cock. Maybe I should try somewhere else...

HokieZHP
12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Guy at the parts store just refused to do it and said it is illegal...

He was a bit of a cock. Maybe I should try somewhere else...

Yeah that's bullshit. The ones here just give me the code reader and I go read codes then give it back. It's not illegal.

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah that's bullshit. The ones here just give me the code reader and I go read codes then give it back. It's not illegal.

You know of any specific ones in Chapel Hill that will do it for me? I'll be back at work tomorrow...

HokieZHP
12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
You know of any specific ones in Chapel Hill that will do it for me? I'll be back at work tomorrow...

I usually went to the advance auto I think it was on 15-501 down towards east gate

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Swap coils around and see if the codes follow the coils.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

kayger12
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
The chances of bad plugs or coils on two cylinders is fairly remote.

How old is the battery?

ELCID86
12-03-2013, 04:15 PM
As far as the reader. The advance auto here will let ya "borrow" it and take it outside. I just leave my ID with them. Worth a shot.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

PirateZHP
12-03-2013, 07:37 PM

How old is the battery?

Battery was fairly new. Well check mileage. I'm going to clear the code and see what happens.

danewilson77
12-04-2013, 05:13 AM

How old is the battery?

Agree. He could have a misfire on one + another issue.

I hate diagnosing the "misfire" issue.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

cakM3
12-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Matt,

Sent you a PM sir :thumbsup

PirateZHP
12-04-2013, 09:23 AM
So... the service engine light is off now. Just went off by itself

Wut?

cakM3
12-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Matt, if the car is running strong and you don't notice any performance-related issues while driving..... I'm guessing the car sorted itself out. I would just keep driving the car like you normally do. You can follow up with having the car checked out by a good indy shop or dealer (go with a trusted indy shop). :)

My guess is that the car is okay and you had a glitch and the car sorted itself out...;)

PirateZHP
12-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Charlie. I emailed Jeff, and may try to get with him either way.

cakM3
12-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Sounds good Matt! I went through something similar with my ///M sometime this year (multiple cylinders misfiring). I ended up clearing codes and the issue never returned. Didn't take the ///M to the dealer to address this and so far the car has been running strong...:)

PirateZHP
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Sounds good Matt! I went through something similar with my ///M sometime this year (multiple cylinders misfiring). I ended up clearing codes and the issue never returned. Didn't take the ///M to the dealer to address this and so far the car has been running strong...:)

Awesome. Thanks!