PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Smolck
12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
So one thing nobody ever talks about replacing on the ZHP motor is the timing chain tensioner spring. Granted, I have never seen one fail on the M54b30, but I bet it does happen. Given our engines see higher rpms and some of us like to redline a LOT this seemed like cheap insurance to me. I stumbled upon a thread on bimmerfest that left me thinking, "yep, I need to do that".

I have already done Beisan seals and the rattle fix, so what could it hurt? And the parts only cost me $5.00.

Funny how all these years working on these things and I NEVER noticed that little hump under the check valve on the head.

All I did was remove my windshield washer fluid reservoir for added clearance and used my 1/2 breaker bar with a normal sized 32mm socket (my deep well one was too big). Once the initial hold is broken, it is easily unscrewable with your hands. I was surprised that my spring was as compressed over time as it was. I replaced it, put the new copper washer on it, and tightened it to 70nm. Started the car and checked for leaks. None to be seen.

All in all it took me 20 minutes. I wish I could say I was rewarded with noticeable improvements, but for my car (which idled quietly and drives just fine) there were none (some people have reported a much quieter idle once they replace this spring).

I received nothing but a satisfaction of another small maintenance item that could POTENTIALLY help me avoid disaster some day when buzzing around at 6800rpm.

This is no harder than replacing an oil filter so don't fret, just do it!

danewilson77
12-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Great data Smolck. Seems like cheap insurance to me as well.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

alexandre
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Might do that for the piece of mind. Is there a part number ? Also you're talking about VANOS, do you need to pull the valve cover to do this ?

LivesNearCostco
12-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I like this idea, in fact I did it too! My old spring was about 2mm shorter than the new spring. But like Smolck, not sure I noticed any difference. Maybe the chain is a little bit quieter... maybe. There is another tensioner on top for the other chain, but it's more work to get to that one--the VANOS has to come off and maybe the camshaft cogs.

Hermes
12-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I wish it was that easy on the M62B44. I'm not looking forward to that project when I have to do the guides on the 740. Good stuff Shad

Johal E32
12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Awesome diy. Thank you

I will do this next oil change. I usually redline once or twice a week. And I'm at 175K, should be good PM for the motor.