PDA

View Full Version : Car Died While Driving

deuce08s
01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Ok, so I understand it feels like -40 degrees but I had to eat lunch. I took the car out and drove it fine to my place of lunch and when it came time to leave the car started up fine. I let it idle for 15 seconds or so and started to proceed to the highway. I got about 1000 ft to an intersection and when I drove through the car seemed to lose it's breath. I quickly pushed in the clutch pedal and it went to idle but when I gave it gas and let out the clutch it just kept struggling to stay moving forward. And then when I turn the key everything lights up but as soon as I go to crank it I get one 'crank' and everything just stops. There's a buzzing sound that also turns off after it stops (fuel pump?).

Could it be my fuel pump if while I was giving it gas it wasn't going anywhere? I've never been stranded by a car and it sucks. I'm sure the -15 F air temp doesn't help.....I think my battery is a Duralast that is maybe four years old. Dealer can't look at it for at least 2 days so I have to find a rental as they were all out of cars. Ugh.

Any thoughts?

Johnmadd
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Fuel pump is my guess.

midlandtech
01-06-2014, 12:52 PM
My guesses are batt or fuel pump in that order. Pull The Battery And Have It tested. Maybe you luck out and that's the problem. Any ses light or codes?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

kayger12
01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
My guesses are batt or fuel pump in that order. Pull The Battery And Have It tested. Maybe you luck out and that's the problem. Any ses light or codes?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BavarianZHP
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
How full was your tank? My neighbor had a chunk of ice the size of a watermelon stuck in her fuel tank - from condensation I suppose that froze over.

deuce08s
01-06-2014, 02:15 PM
I just filled up the tank at Costco last night, so it was almost full. I get no lights on the dash whatsoever. I do notice that when I turn the key the red on my coolant temp gauge lights up right before everything comes to a halt.

I was thinking fuel pump if it happened while I was applying the gas. Maybe between the fillup (it was at 1/8 or so when I filled it but since it's been so cold I've been staying home...its about 22 F in my garage). Now it's at the stealership and I hate having it there because if it's something I can replace I feel helpless and at their mercy.

BavarianZHP
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
If no lights are coming on in key position 1 or 2, then it's almost certainly a battery issue. Could be alternator or ignition related though as well.

brettbimmer
01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

X3 on battery first and fuel pump/system second.

Anyone know at what temperature 93 octane begins to freeze? Perhaps it froze up in the fuel system, and the battery couldn't give you enough CCA power for a re-start. Regardless, hope you get her back soon!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dave1027
01-06-2014, 06:43 PM
My guess is fuel pump. I don't think it's the battery because once the car starts it's all on the alternator.

BavarianZHP
01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Battery should be easy to check in this case. I would rule that one out first since it's so simple and then check the others.

deuce08s
01-07-2014, 07:29 AM
When I said I get no lights on the dash I was replying to the question of any SES lights or codes. When I turn the key to position 1 or 2 the normal dash lights all light up. Its when I go to crank that I hear one thud and then everything just goes dead.

Right now I have a Focus rental as almost every place in the metro here was out of rentals. What a pile that is! Can't wait to see what the dealer finds.

pfr
01-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Sounds like battery. No wonder in this cold.

LivesNearCostco
01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
If it died while driving, I go with those who said fuel pump or fuel filter. If not failed pump or clogged filter, possibly frozen water in the filter?

deuce08s
01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Just talked to the dealer again and from what I described he said it could be that the Intake Vent Valve froze up. Apparently that's a common problem they see in that engine but when it's in the SUVs......we'll see. Fingers are crossed that its something simple like just warming the car up!

danewilson77
01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Just talked to the dealer again and from what I described he said it could be that the Intake Vent Valve froze up. Apparently that's a common problem they see in that engine but when it's in the SUVs......we'll see. Fingers are crossed that its something simple like just warming the car up!

Never heard of this issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

deuce08s
01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Well, it IS the dealer speaking! :/

brewer90
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
You mention you go to crank, get one thud and then nothing. That doesn't sound like fuel pump to me. If it was fuel pump your car would continue to crank but just not fire.

I hadn't heard of the frozen intake valve either but ran across this in a search. Seems like it is a CCV issue.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1384715-Theory-on-Frozen-Vent-Valves

LivesNearCostco
01-07-2014, 11:34 AM
D'oh! Good point and I wasn't thinking... if it were fuel pump or fuel filter, the car would keep cranking. Refusal to crank is more likely to be frozen/blocked intake vent, weak battery, failed starter, or failed CPS (crankshaft position sensor).

Edit not sure it could be failed CPS... failed CPS would mean no spark, but if battery and starter are still good, it should still crank the engine unless the whole engine locked up for some reason.

You mention you go to crank, get one thud and then nothing. That doesn't sound like fuel pump to me. If it was fuel pump your car would continue to crank but just not fire.

deuce08s
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer. The frozen CCV is the culprit as the engine hydrolocked. Apparently there are icicles hanging in the top of the engine under the oil cap. Oil is everyone in the intake. It worsened my valve cover gasket leak, flooded the spark plugs, and most like my battery is dead ($300 for a dimmer batter, i declined). They are going to let the car warm up in the shop and try to start it in the morning to see if there is a bent connecting rod.......

So, they advised a new battery, new CCV valve, cleaning up the intake, new valve cover gasket, new plugs, and $2500 from me.

ELCID86
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Ouch. Sorry man. Can you DIY any of it besides the battery?

deuce08s
01-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I don't think so......not even sure the car will start.

I was going to buy Spark plugs to bring to them as well.....any thoughts on what I should get or just use the OEM at the dealer?

deuce08s
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't want to tow it home and I don't have the time to fix it as I work a LOT.

kayger12
01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Ugh. Sorry to hear.

Newjack
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
X3 on battery first and fuel pump/system second.

Anyone know at what temperature 93 octane begins to freeze? Perhaps it froze up in the fuel system, and the battery couldn't give you enough CCA power for a re-start. Regardless, hope you get her back soon!

Fuel doesn't start to get slushy and freeze until about -91° F.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

brettbimmer
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Fuel doesn't start to get slushy and freeze until about -91° F.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks man!

Dave1027
01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer. The frozen CCV is the culprit as the engine hydrolocked. Apparently there are icicles hanging in the top of the engine under the oil cap. Oil is everyone in the intake. It worsened my valve cover gasket leak, flooded the spark plugs, and most like my battery is dead ($300 for a dimmer batter, i declined). They are going to let the car warm up in the shop and try to start it in the morning to see if there is a bent connecting rod.......

So, they advised a new battery, new CCV valve, cleaning up the intake, new valve cover gasket, new plugs, and $2500 from me.

I'm really starting to hate the CCV on these cars. I'm questioning the thinking behind dumping blowby back into the oil pan. It's one of those things that Ford is good for like engineering that works fine when everything works but have some odd failure and the vehicle catches fire in your garage and burns down your house.

brettbimmer
01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm really starting to hate the CCV on these cars. I'm questioning the thinking behind dumping blowby back into the oil pan. It's one of those things that Ford is good for like engineering that works fine when everything works but have some odd failure and the vehicle catches fire in your garage and burns down your house.

I believe that it was done to reduce emissions.

Dave1027
01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
I believe that it was done to reduce emissions.

Most cars route the blowby into the intake to be burnt, not routed to the oil pan. It's failure mode is to connect intake vacuum to the oil pan with potentially disasterous results. That's just crazy. THey should have at least incorporated some kind of check valve.

deuce08s
01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Well, the car has been fixed. After a few days at BMW I decided to go to the dealer to sit down and assess all of the charges. They never told me about my battery, but they left it off their invoice. After I got all of the costs I went to an indie shop found on the ZHP site here that was 2 miles from the dealer. They looked at everything and said we should be able to do this for half the cost. THey couldn't believe they were charging me $903 to pull the oil out of the intake when they were going to do that anyway with the throttle body, ccv valve, and valve cover off. The Indie shop also paid to have my car towed to them, and BMW was kind enough to take whatever they disassembled from my engine and throw it in my trunk (fortunately, it wasn't anything too dirty). Still....bastards.

Within 1 day the new place had my car all finished and road tested and washed and dried! The bill was $1189 which included all of the parts and hoses for the CCV, a new valve cover gasket, an oil change, new plugs (which I provided.....BMW wanted $151 JUST for the Bosch plugs!!), and their diagnostic fee. And my battery passed all tests with flying colors. Pretty damn happy with it all and the car runs smooth as ever!

Lessen learned......if your Bimmer sees -30 degrees.....don't take short trips without the car being warmed up. Oh, and @$#*( the dealer!

Thanks for all your help guys! Hope this prevents any of the same issues on your bimmers for other cold weather owners!

fredo
01-15-2014, 01:36 PM
$ 2,500 vs $ 1,189 ... that's a no brainer. Glad to hear you found a good Indy.

ELCID86
01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Glad you got it sorted out and were lucky (smart) enough to find the Indy shop.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

deuce08s
01-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks! Funny thing.....my buddy has a 2003 325xi with 110k on it and his car wouldn't start today after sitting for four days while he was out of town. "Our" BMW dealer, where he has taken the car since new, said they couldn't look at it till the 30th........so he went to my place and guess what, pretty much the same issue as mine but not as severe. $1200 for him, but he needs new plugs, new valve cover gasket (which he just had fixed at the dealer along with his oil filter housing gasket ($1040). But they found the milky oily liquid when they pulled his plugs. Doesn't sound like his engine seized like mine but it was -20F today and colder last night. His car cranked but would die when warmed up. The "better" shop should have it done in the next day or two.

Damn Bimmers and their cold weather sissiness! So worth having one though! hehe