PDA

View Full Version : What's a man gotta' do to buy a car around here?

altoid
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Well, being less picky than I am would probably help. But more on that later.

Firstly, I'm Nik, a 28-yo software developer living in LA, but originally from Bosnia. My garage (read: one tandem parking spot) currently houses a 2006 SV650S(F) I haven't ridden in 10 months and a 1998 Camry I wish had seen that neglect instead.

I found this place via The Googles, and was then invited in sorta' on accident via a member of a forum I run who knows a lady who knows Dane. I initially thought he was selling a ZHP, but later found out he actually runs the show here.

What brings me to ZHPs is also an accident, and also a happy one. Back in late November (or early December) I had settled on buying myself a BRZ Limited when a good friend insisted I drive what he called “the benchmark”: the ZHP. I was reluctant to consider used cars, especially German ones, but agreed to give his thoughts a fair shot. We met up one evening, I drove his girlfriend's 2004 325i SULEV ZSP sedan up and down Mulholland Dr. in Hollywood, and fell in love. The balance, the steering, yes. Yes, please.

And then I got to drive a ZHP. Suffice to say I got out of the car and knew I wanted one. More than the BRZ (which I've been following since the project's very rumors/announcement seven years ago), more than the Miata (which I've fanboyed since 2006), more than anything else I could afford...and more than most things I couldn't.

Thus began my search, which is still very much ongoing. I’m after a ZHP sedan with a manual transmission and no folding seats. Definitely also want a clear title, stock condition, and diligent maintenance. Would prefer alcantara and gray or black exterior, but those are more negotiable.

Anyway, more on me throughout other threads around here, and pictures incoming when I find a car. Or “if” I find a car, given how rare it seems to be...

Cheers.

Hermes
01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Welcome Nik and good luck with your search. The car is definitely out there, just be patient and find the right one

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Welcome, Nik! Glad to have you here.

I will start off and say that you will be looking for a long time, or will pay a decent premium, if you can't compromise on maintenance. Within the forum scene, sure, most people log their maintenance and care for their cars, but they also ask for more money when it comes time to sell. If you look outside of the enthusiast scene, you will find better pricing, but little maintenance history, generally speaking. Beyond oil changes and carbon build up, almost everything else "maintenance" on this can be caught up on later in it's life. Factor it into the price, but don't let it be a deal-breaker. That's my opinion.

Having owned both a non-folding and a folding ZHP (talking about the rear seats), I can honestly say that I've never noticed a difference when driving. In fact, I kinda miss my folding rears. It was really convenient. So, unless you are tracking your car, I'd recommend that you give that a little more consideration, but in day-to-day usage, you'll never noticed the reduced stiffness, but you need that extra space in the rear when transporting something large.

Good luck finding a ZHP! My advice, make sure it's the color you want. Even interiors can be readily swapped, but I'd rather not repaint a car, or live with a color I don't like.

Enjoy your stay here.

kayger12
01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Patience will pay off. Welcome to the forum.

Vas
01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. Goo luck on your hunt

yura
01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Welcome!

+1 on having folding seats - an absolute must for a daily driver IMO.

Vas
01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm kinda glad I don't have folding rear seats. Less dirt into the cabin.

fredo
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Welcome, Nik ! Good luck finding "the one." I would think LA has a nice number of choices for you.

altoid
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks, all!

I'll touch briefly on a few points re: my preferences:

I never, ever use the folding seats. I have them in my current bucket, and the last (I think also first) time I opened them was over two and a half years ago, when I was moving, and I wouldn't move in a ZHP. That's the main reason I don't want to give up any performance for them. (And the car will see some track time, if I have it my way...)
I'm not too particular about the color because I think the E46 body looks fantastic in all the colors offered. :thumbsup
I'll settle for some lack of maintenance records if the inspection by my mechanic of choice (which I require before writing the check) checks out. Alternately, I'll shell out a bit of a premium for a provenly loved example. It'll all depend on my choices....
...Which brings me to the hilarious bit: there seem to be zero cars with my configuration choices for sale in California (much less LA) right now. Good thing I still have a running car! (Eventually I may start looking outside of CA as well, but I'm trying to avoid that because smogging could be a nightmare.)

Thanks for the welcome and tips!
:happydane

danewilson77
01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Welcome Nik.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Welcome. Happy hunting!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

yura
01-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Which brings me to the hilarious bit: there seem to be zero cars with my configuration choices for sale in California (much less LA) right now

Hah! The last time I was looking for a car (choices were E46 M3, ZHP almost identical to what you're after, or an E92 335i), I spent a couple months without a vehicle. For the M3/ZHP, I was looking all over Western Canada and the US. I was ready to fly down as far as Texas (I'm in Vancouver, Canada) for the right car, and found nada/zip. Ended up with a local 335i.

johnrando
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Welcome. And yes, you'll have to expand your search pretty far and be patient, it took me months to find mine.

derbo
01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Welcome! Do look up north a bit if you are willing to make a trek up here. There are a few ZHPs usually for sale in the area though I havent looked through the listings in recent months.

altoid
01-07-2014, 05:48 PM
With all the suggestions, I might expand my search to includes other locations. Especially if forum members would be willing to help with checking out a car and finding a local shop for inspection. :)

johnrando
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
We have a thread for exactly that sitch.

derbo
01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
My car is basically what you want except its modified :P

Black Sapphire/Alcantara, no Fold Down 6spd.

ELCID86
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
With all the suggestions, I might expand my search to includes other locations. Especially if forum members would be willing to help with checking out a car and finding a local shop for inspection. :)

It's worth a look.

Thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4294-I-Need-Someone-To-Check-Out-A-BMW-330-ZHP-For-Me

possible shops for PPI: http://www.bimmershops.com/

Hermes
01-07-2014, 06:35 PM
My car is basically what you want except its modified :P

Black Sapphire/Alcantara, no Fold Down 6spd.

Maybe you can trade him for a NSX? :D

BCS_ZHP
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Welcome Nik, I'm planning to post a car for sale soon but it doesn't have enough doors for you.

wsmeyer
01-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

I'm in Redondo Beach and Johnrando is in Manhattan Beach. My sig pic was taken on Mulholland Hwy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

BavarianZHP
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
A warm welcome to you from Seattle! For me, there was a lot of fun in the hunt. If you have the time, use the resources here to read up on what to lookout for, and become as much of an expert yourself. It really helped me prepare for looking at ZHPs and I'm forever grateful for the knowledge that's open here.

prowlerflyer
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome aboard!

If you really want to forgo the cold weather package (generally no folding seats, although there are some oddballs here), I don't think you will gain much shell stiffness (but a very minor weight advantage), since I don't believe BMW welded in a bulkhead in its place. It's just a solid seatback, although I defer to the experts.

Also, for track purposes you might want to consider looking for a sunroof delete. Sort of rare, but they do pop up.

If you really want a ZHP, just open up your search area, members are willing to help look, and get the right car, don't let yourself fall for the convenient car.

Best of luck!

altoid
01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the wise words. I think I'm gonna' open up my search area to the lower 48 and see what happens.

ELCID86
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Try the cPRO + Craigslist app. Let's you search multiple markets at once. Returns a lot of cars that CL doesn't. I'm sure you already use autotrader and cars.com.

Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) on iPad

altoid
01-10-2014, 06:19 PM
I've been contacting sellers of potential cars all over the country, and it's a little hilarious how nearly all are in the easternmost quarter of the country. I have a feeling I'll definitely be utilizing the community...

Vas
01-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Sounds like the complete opposite for me. I been in the market for a zhp coupe and majority of them are on the west coast.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Welcome.

Crickett
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I've been contacting sellers of potential cars all over the country, and it's a little hilarious how nearly all are in the easternmost quarter of the country. I have a feeling I'll definitely be utilizing the community...

Sounds like the complete opposite for me. I been in the market for a zhp coupe and majority of them are on the west coast.

LOL the good ones are always where you aren’t! Sounds like you two need to pool your searches!

illirep
01-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Welcome - keep at it. Clean examples pop up for sale regularly, you just have to be ready to pull the trigger before someone else does. Good luck.

altoid
01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
At this very moment, a BMW shop somewhere in California is inspecting a ZHP which has my name on it if I so choose.

I'm trying very hard not to get too excited about it, but it's not going so well. :jawdrop

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 10:56 AM
At this very moment, a BMW shop somewhere in California is inspecting a ZHP which has my name on it if I so choose.

I'm trying very hard not to get too excited about it, but it's not going so well. :jawdrop

Keep us posted! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Sweet. Hope it works out.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

altoid
02-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, but it didn't. Not even close.

I found out from the seller first, and then the mechanic at the shop where I had it inspected that the car is actually a disaster. It's cosmetically mostly fine, but mechanically? Ugh...

New engine, fuel pump, every hose, housing, and gasket in the car, rear suspension parts...yeah, it's a goner. The seller pulled the ad after talking to me (very distraught, as his $10k sale just turned into a $20k (or whatever) bill), but I saved the high-res photos here: http://coolneat.com/zhp/img/

Needless to say, I didn't purchase the car...

Also may be worth nothing that Mike of Palo Alto Bimmer did the inspection and then refused to charge me for it, since the car was such an utter pile of poop. I really appreciated his thoroughness, honesty, and integrity, and would recommend him and his shop from this experience, for what that's worth. The seller also came into his shop once before. My guess is that it was for the car's only oil change in 146,000 miles...

ELCID86
02-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Yikes. Glad you got a PPI. Super they didn't charge you. The hunt is (back) on!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Avetiso
02-01-2014, 02:18 PM
You'll have a few of those...

quikryptonite
02-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Howdy. Hang in there, it is worth the wait to get exactly what you want. It took me about four months. Good luck!

Au1994
02-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Welcome! Don't rule out CarMax. That's where is found mine. Had it shipped from Maryland to Georgia and was very pleased with the purchase process. Based on the way it was priced I'm not sure they realized they had a (not) special option package car.

Mine is in very good shape all the way around as CM is not keen on putting junk on their lot. Needs just a few maintenance items.

derbo
02-02-2014, 02:46 AM
on KBB the performance package doesn't change the value of the car too much. So someone who doesnt know anythiing would price it as a sport package..

But good luck on your hunt!

altoid
02-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Well, I actually went out and bought a Miata yesterday. :biggrin

http://thumb.armedcats.net/a/al/altoid/2014/02/02/300/IMG_0838.JPG (http://www.armedcats.net/image/view/hOEf2mSHQFdeT1Nu) http://thumb.armedcats.net/a/al/altoid/2014/02/02/300/IMG_0839.JPG (http://www.armedcats.net/image/view/K3ledn5W6LqjW7zd)

I think I'll get back to this ZHP idea at some point in the future. At least I should be able to flip the Miata at a negligible loss, should I so choose.

ELCID86
02-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Well, I actually went out and bought a Miata yesterday.

Hmm, interesting choice. Glad you found something you like.

fredo
02-02-2014, 10:22 AM
The Miata sounds like a fun car. Don't forget about the ZHP !

johnrando
02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Congrats on the new car.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
02-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Congrats! Miatas are fun little cars.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BCS_ZHP
02-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow, a big swing in priorities/requirements going from 5-seater, 4-door, torquey, sport sedan to a 2-passenger, 2-door, high revving, conv. Congrats on your new car.

imola red zhp
02-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Congrats..... and enjoy...

sent by new technology DA

altoid
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow, a big swing in priorities/requirements going from 5-seater, 4-door, torquey, sport sedan to a 2-passenger, 2-door, high revving, conv. Congrats on your new car.

I don't really need anything the ZHP offers over the Miata. I wanted one because it's just such a wonderful balance of fun and practicality, but it's proven to be a very difficult task finding the one.

This way I get to replace my bucket with something super duper fun and perfectly practical enough for me, and I no longer have to pour money into a slowly dying econobox.

That said, I very much appreciate what the ZHP has to offer, and can see myself adding one to the stable at some point relatively soon.

Just probably when I have more than one parking spot...