PDA

View Full Version : Big Waves

prowlerflyer
01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Saw this today and make me think of you Joopy. Yikes!

http://jalopnik.com/watch-a-container-ship-take-40-degree-rolls-in-winter-1496283701

Here is some fun I had onboard the Kitty Hawk back in '08. We ended up taking some substantial damage to the flight deck catwalks. FYI the flight deck is ~60ft above the waterline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccn3ieux6iU

Sorry embedding videos exceeds my technical capacity.

Steve

cakM3
01-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve, that's some crazy stuff! Reminds me when I was serving onboard USS Augusta and we left Faslane, Scotland on New Years Day and ended up in 50 foot swells while on the surface transiting out to our dive point 8 hrs away somewhere in the North Irish sea... It was a crazy ride and I ended up spending 6 hrs as sonar supervisor before we got to dive the ship.... It was one hella of a ride! :thumbsup

danewilson77
01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
No FLOPS on that day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
There's nothing like being onboard a submarine in high sea state.....I loved it :)

Lanister
01-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Probably the last gigantic storm that happened in the North Atlantic on Monday. Here're a few freak ridden and almost ridden waves that hit Spain later that day.

http://vimeo.com/83647031

Vas
01-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Dang that is nuts.

prowlerflyer
01-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I can only imagine Charlie that a sub is far worse in this weather while surfaced. Of course you are only a dive away to peace and quite...

We we actually conducting Carrier Qualification up until shortly before this. When deck pitch got to +/- 20ft, we finally called uncle. I had already day qualled, and the guy who had hopped into my jet ended up getting a couple of wave offs, and then with everyone else airborne, sent to the beach. We finished CQ over the next couple of days down near Iwo Jima (now Iwo To), then returned to port for repairs.

I did eat dinner that night with the Commanding Officer of the helo squadron which had that aircraft stranded up on the bow getting pounded. That aircraft sat in the hangar for months getting cleaned. He was not a happy camper.

Boy all that night the Kitty made the most interesting sounds. I sort of just laid in my rack waiting for the ship to break up.

danewilson77
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
As far as I know, that's not even a normal parking spot for a helo.

Ours were always back by the fan tail, around the Island, or on the port side.

kayger12
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I was going to comment earlier but I was too busy throwing up all over my desk.

prowlerflyer
01-08-2014, 01:49 PM
As far as I know, that's not even a normal parking spot for a helo.

Ours were always back by the fan tail, around the Island, or on the port side.

Your right Dane, the weather was so bad though towards the end of the recovery that they were just trying to keep aircraft away from the landing area. I believe it recovered on the angle and was towed to the bow. Brilliant thing by the Handler...

danewilson77
01-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Your right Dane, the weather was so bad though towards the end of the recovery that they were just trying to keep aircraft away from the landing area. I believe it recovered on the angle and was towed to the bow. Brilliant thing by the Handler...

I'd have had the Handlers ass for that.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
nope nope nope. Solid ground for me!

JupiterBMW
01-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for thinking of me! Sadly, none of the links or videos will play/load for me while out here on the satellite internet. I am happy to say we are sailing smoothly at the moment, heading into port in Puget Sound tomorrow.

Winter sailing is never fun. Knowing that we have about 40-60 feet of freeboard (based on cargo/ballast) is nice, but then seeing the waves come over the bow/side also makes you realize how insane the sea can get.

prowlerflyer
01-09-2014, 04:26 AM
Bummer, well all you need to know is North Atlantic, winter ( just a couple of days ago), and scary big seas. They were having up to 40 degrees roll in something like a c9 container ship (fully stacked).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk