PDA

View Full Version : Heated Seat retrofit - completed!

CkDedmon
01-13-2014, 07:52 AM
After lots of research and asking lots of questions, I finally completed my heated seat retrofit and wanted to report back...

I purchased the following parts:

- Heated Seat Retrofit kit (P/N 61-11-0-139-368 - ~$325)
This OEM kit includes a new switch/button panel for the center console and all the necessary wiring to get to the seats.

- Heating elements (eBay - ~$175)
Based on my understanding, all new OEM leather seat covers include the heating element already woven into the underside. However, at ~$600+ per bottom or back, it would cost $2,400+ simply for new covers for the front seats. Rather, there is a guy on eBay sites in Europe that supplies OEM heating elements. Search for "BMWE46DRIVER" or "BMW Original NEU SPORT Sitzheizung 2x Satz"...he knows enough English to answer your questions.

Installation
I'm fairly handy, but I didn't want to tackle this project...had my trusted local independent BMW shop do it...

~$500 - labor to install switch panel and wiring
~$500 - upholstery guy to remove leather seat covers, stitch heating element to underside, and reinstall

You could save money by tackling one or both of these steps yourself.

Operation
I'm very pleased with how they work. I don't have personal experience with factory E46 heated seats, but my wife has a E70 X5 with heated seats. The seats do not seem to reach as high of a temperature or do it as quickly as the X5...this may be due to the heating elements having to work through more layers of the seat covers (I've heard the OEM covers have the element sandwiched between layers).

However, being in Seattle where heated seats are a welcome option 6-8 months out of the year, the $1,500 was well worth it.

FYI - I also looked into aftermarket options. They would have cost ~$1,000 and would require a switch/button to be installed adjacent to the power seat controls. As I prefer everything to look factory, the additional cost was a no-brainer.

Hope this is of some help to anyone thinking about this modification!

Stu
01-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Awesome!! Really glad to hear it went well. The price sounds about right. To get my seat occupancy sensor replaced (I am a little nervous about messing around with the upholstery), I had an estimate of ~$420-450 or so. I think it's worth it to have a shop do this kind of work since it is so labor intensive, mainly due to the workmanship warranty most shops will have. Your issues with installation will crop up very quickly should there be any sort of problem, so it's always good to have that piece of mind.

alexandre
01-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Wow, you really wanted them eh! I have them on alcantara seats and they literally burn within a few minutes. I'd think leather seats would have thicker fabric and that'd be why they take more time to warm up... But that's an hypothesis. I don't have an X5 to compare to anyway :)

johnrando
01-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Very nice mod, congrats on getting it done that thanks for posting the info.

ELCID86
01-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Very nice mod. And the leather can be a butt-burner as well Alex. I never use it on high. And my wife swears it will throw her into early menopause!

NorCalZman
01-13-2014, 08:31 AM
These are brand new heating elements, right?

Obtaining heating elements for a reasonable cost was what was stopping me from doing this upgrade to my car. Seems you have solved it for me. Thank you. Looks like I will be doing this in the near future!

CkDedmon
01-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Yep...brand new heating elements. Based on what I found, even though there is a P/N for the E46 heating elements, they aren't available anymore (if they ever were available). However, my understanding is that these elements are for a X3 (original generation) w/ sport seats...they used the same seats.

derbo
01-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow, you really wanted them eh! I have them on alcantara seats and they literally burn within a few minutes. I'd think leather seats would have thicker fabric and that'd be why they take more time to warm up... But that's an hypothesis. I don't have an X5 to compare to anyway :)

I want your OEM alcantara heated seats :drool

NorCalZman
01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Yep...brand new heating elements. Based on what I found, even though there is a P/N for the E46 heating elements, they aren't available anymore (if they ever were available). However, my understanding is that these elements are for a X3 (original generation) w/ sport seats...they used the same seats.

Ah well that works out perfectly then, doesnt it. Another question, if the Parts are the same for the X3 and E46, did you try pricing the P/N for the X3 elements on real oem? Are they avaliable to order from a dealer instead?

CkDedmon
01-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Ah well that works out perfectly then, doesnt it. Another question, if the Parts are the same for the X3 and E46, did you try pricing the P/N for the X3 elements on real oem? Are they avaliable to order from a dealer instead?

Didn't try that, but that idea was running through my mind as I was typing my earlier response! I had also meant to that a photo of the P/N on the elements provided as reference for others, but I forgot! You might try looking on realoem.com for the X3 heating elements, and then taking that to your dealer to ask (I've found that the parts guys are not always very good at the investigative process!)

jiggz
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Well done - yes, heated seats in Seattle are mostly a must-have.

Just curious which shop does this sort of work? Was it Strictly BMW in Bellevue?

NorCalZman
01-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Didn't try that, but that idea was running through my mind as I was typing my earlier response! I had also meant to that a photo of the P/N on the elements provided as reference for others, but I forgot! You might try looking on realoem.com for the X3 heating elements, and then taking that to your dealer to ask (I've found that the parts guys are not always very good at the investigative process!)

Does that mean that you no longer have the part number for the heating elements? Bummer. I can try to dig it up (anyone else good at finding P/n out there?). I can check and compare the pricing and availability at US dealers if I can find the P/N. Edit: you know what, this is probably not even worth trying. They probably only sell the elements with the cushion like on the E46.

This is another case of X3 parts working when E46 parts are unavailable or too expensive. The blower motor in my ZHP for the X3.

CkDedmon
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Well done - yes, heated seats in Seattle are mostly a must-have.

Just curious which shop does this sort of work? Was it Strictly BMW in Bellevue?

Used Signature BMW in Kirkland. They have been honest and don't nickel-and-dime me. However, I've also used Strictly BMW for other maintenance and wouldn't hesitate to go there either.

Lanister
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I hear messing around with seat upholstery is a huge pain in the neck. Right Dane? :)

Avetiso
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Bleh. I have 4 heated seats in my basement just waiting to swap elements into mine. I was hoping this thread was DIY! :(

Nice mod, though. I think I'll just wait to find an interior with heated seats.

NorCalZman
01-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Bleh. I have 4 heated seats in my basement just waiting to swap elements into mine. I was hoping this thread was DIY! :(

Good news. I remember seeing one. There is a DIY on e46 fanatics I believe. Go check it out

Avetiso
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Good news. I remember seeing one. There is a DIY on e46 fanatics I believe. Go check it out
I'll see if I can find it.

NorCalZman
01-13-2014, 01:32 PM
turns out I had it subscribed. ta da! http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242

Avetiso
01-13-2014, 03:10 PM
turns out I had it subscribed. ta da! http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242

:( I'm looking for info on the actual installation of the element. He sent it to a shop.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BavarianZHP
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Used Signature BMW in Kirkland. They have been honest and don't nickel-and-dime me. However, I've also used Strictly BMW for other maintenance and wouldn't hesitate to go there either.

Been to both independent's as well. Great folks. I'm thinking of taking my car to the one in Issaquah next - Eastside Bavarian, to check them out.

Heated seats are awesome indeed. Feels like I'm peeing my pants most of the time. :eeps

Just be more careful around them though. I've heard of people breaking their heating elements by one-kneeing on one seat to reach over to the other side of the car for something. The pressure can be too much for it to bear.

Congrats on the work!

ELCID86
11-19-2015, 07:06 PM

Did you ever do this?