PDA

View Full Version : Lean codes keep coming back - need help

stephenkirsh
01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
So I've had lean codes for a while, 0171 and 0174. Extra symptoms:

- Rough idle when starting the car for the very first time in the day.
- SES lights only come on within the first few miles of driving, aka, when the engine has yet to fully warm up

Work I've done:
- ccv
- spark plugs
- valve cover gasket
- lower and upper intake boots
- replaced vacuum plugs
- swapped MAF from my dad's 330 and rough idle was still there
- VANOS return line

Haven't smoke tested it yet, but here's my fear. Since the problem only happens when the engine is cold, driving it somewhere will warm it up and seal the leak.

Any ideas at this point? I'm running out of ways to fix this.

danewilson77
01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Throttle body gasket, or disa gasket leak? Intake gasket?

You're looking for un-metered Air flow, and it looks like you've taken care of a majority of them.

Continue throwing darts or complete a smoke test.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Throttle body was recently inspected (last week) and it all looked good.

DISA gasket is very possible.

What's the intake gasket?

kayger12
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Check the vacuum lines from the secondary air pump.

If you're good there move on to the DISA gasket.

stephenkirsh
01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Isn't the secondary air pump exhaust related?

kayger12
01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Isn't the secondary air pump exhaust related?

It is. It feeds air to the cats during cold starts, but iirc it is connected to the intake manifold via vacuum hose as the pump is actuated via a vacuum powered check valve.

If you're only getting the condition during the first cold start of the day it points me to the SAP as it only operates during cold starts (not subsequent starts on an engine that has some leftover heat in it from being run earlier).

There's also a code for the SAP being bad, but I think that involves a bad check valve or the pump not working. Not sure on that.

danewilson77
01-20-2014, 03:31 PM
What's the intake gasket?

The gasket for the plenums.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/2_5lintake2-vi.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/nicee46/media/2_5lintake2-vi.jpg.html)

stephenkirsh
01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Ugh that looks nasty.

Looks like there's a million more options still. I guess I just need to do a smoke test.

danewilson77
01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Yes. Looks like you've fixed most culprits. Could maybe replace disa o-ring and look at SAP as KG mentioned. Both are cheap. Beyond that though, smoke is your friend.

kayger12
01-20-2014, 04:26 PM
In case you need it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/21/e2y4a8y8.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
The entire DISA valve would be on my list. My dad's is starting to make noise and it's not even at 50,000 miles yet. May as well do it I guess. Hopefully that's the issue?

BCS_ZHP
01-20-2014, 06:53 PM
When you changed the upper & lower intake boots, did you replace the "F" connector and that tiny diameter vacuum line? It's easy to crack that "F" connector & not know it, and reusing that 3" of tiny vacuum line is also a possible leak point.

danewilson77
01-20-2014, 07:01 PM
When you changed the upper & lower intake boots, did you replace the "F" connector and that tiny diameter vacuum line? It's easy to crack that "F" connector & not know it, and reusing that 3" of tiny vacuum line is also a possible leak point.

Good point. It's also easy to not properly seat the lower boot joint on the TB (the part with the tongue and groove)

stephenkirsh
02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Got a smoke test done last week. DISA valve was leaking a lot. Time to do that.

Good point on the stupid F connector.

Any tips for putting the long piece of vacuum tube into the short 3" piece that connects to the F connector?

danewilson77
02-04-2014, 03:30 PM
I apply a small amount of Silicone and then push like hell.

derbo
02-04-2014, 03:44 PM
I hope I wont be in a situation like you..I am getting lean codes too.. I did recently rebuild my DISA but I used the new blue gasket from GAS.

Cadeez
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
My check engine light came on recently so I had the codes ran, got the same two (P0171 & P0174), looks like I've got a looong list of stuff to work though...awesome. The local BMW dealership (Kuni) asked if I had ran out of gas recently, and that these two codes were from low fuel in the tank... Now, I'm no genius or BMW mechanic, but you're telling me that the check engine light comes on in a ~$35k BMW (when new) when it gets low on gas?? C'mon man...

Question: Would the results of whatever is wrong cause a sort of "dead spot" at take off? When I'm pulling away from a stop, I hit the gas but nothing really happens for a second, then I'll press a little harder and it takes off. I just got the car so it's made getting used to the clutch a bit trying. Your body's natural reaction at take off is to lean just slightly forward, anticipating the push back in your seat, but I find myself almost hitting the wheel sometimes because I'm expecting the car to move but it's not! There's a definite delay in the throttle response. There was reference to this phenomenom in a thread I read on Bimmerforums or E46Fans recently, which is why I ask. Stated issue was bad MAF or intake boots, etc, basically everything mentioned on this thread

Also, my gas mileage isn't super great, I'm assuming air leaks in the intake system have can an adverse effect on your mileage as well?

stephenkirsh
02-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a dying fuel pump to me. A bad fuel pump can cause those two error codes, as a bad pump can starve the engine of fuel.

I've never experienced a bad pump, but read these similar symptoms all the time. A pump is like $300 and they're fairly easy to replace.

Cadeez
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Hmm I suppose that could be it as well, but hopefully it's not the pump. Although I looked on ECS's site and you can get one from $100-$280, so that's not too bad. I did the pump on one of my cars, can't remember which one, but if I remember correctly it's on the passeger side right under the rear seat cushion. Pretty plug and play, the install was a piece of cake. I plan to replace the filter here soon, just because I always do when I get a new car, we'll see if that helps any. Thanks for the tip!

stephenkirsh
03-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Just to update and hopefully not jynx anything, I've been code-free since installing the new DISA valve a month ago.

It hasn't been as cold as it was in dec/jan, though.

My rough idle is gone, too.

ELCID86
03-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Good to hear. Hope it stays gone.

mbeckel
03-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I keep getting 2882 and 2883 codes on mine. So far I've changed vacuum hose and fuel filter and added the CAI. Still getting these codes. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Sent from in the bushes

LivesNearCostco
03-22-2014, 09:21 AM
mbeckel: What do those codes mean?
StephenKirsch: Sounds like you fixed it!

I had two lean codes in the last 6 weeks, so 2 weeks ago I cleaned the MAF and cleared the code. Last night while doing CCV, I saw the F-connector was unplugged from the throttle body boot! And my CCV--with related hoses--seemed to be in alright shape. Anyway, I feel dumb about the F-connector... trying to remember when I last unplugged it. According to my maint. log, the last time I specifically know I unplugged it was November when I did my starter. Unless I unplugged it when I cleaned the MAF?

mbeckel
03-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Mixture bank malfunction

Sent from in the bushes