PDA

View Full Version : Bro truck tries to race me, nearly crashes, caught on video!

damonchoy
01-24-2014, 06:54 PM
So it was extremely cold today with very high winds and blowing snow. As such, visibility was very poor and the roads were extremely slippery (I could spin my rear tires in SIXTH GEAR at 2,000rpm on the highway). This of course meant that most people were driving slower than usual. In an 80km/h zone, a line of cars was traveling approximately 60km/h. Comfortable with traveling faster than that with excellent Winter tires, I passed them at around the speed limit.

Meanwhile, some lifted bro truck had been tailgating me the entire time. After I finished passing everyone I immediately moved over to let him by. Either he was mad because I wasn't driving fast enough or maybe he wanted to race me (as many assume I'd like to do because of my new exhaust). Instead of passing me, he came up beside me and matched my speed. He then stomped on the gas and took off. Now traveling likely around 100-120km/h, he started to spin. I actually thought he was going to fly into oncoming traffic. Fortunately, he did not. It would have been a great lesson for him if he slid into the ditch, though. I'm happy enough that I caught this all with my dash cam, though, so I can laugh at it. Take this as an example of how not to drive like a moron.

I think the driver of the truck needed new pants after that. :rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJ5j0d-6Og

ELCID86
01-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Glad you remained calm and he didn't kill anyone.

Avetiso
01-24-2014, 07:06 PM
:asshat

Glad nobody got hurt, but good job flashing him! Make sure he knows you saw his epic failure.

trancenation
01-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Stay safe out there!

stephenkirsh
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
1.) Good to know bro trucks are in canada
2.) Love the narrating you provide :)
3.) Why do you have a dash cam? Just curious.

Pip
01-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Glad it turned out the way it did. No one was hurt and he/she feels like an asshat.

kayger12
01-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Darwinism almost claimed another.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 05:59 AM
1.) Good to know bro trucks are in canada
2.) Love the narrating you provide :)
3.) Why do you have a dash cam? Just curious.

He leaves it on when he parks for evidence of wrong doings against his beloved. Also has it to make videos such as this.

Anyone have a link to the CA video when the Benz rolled back into that guy in stopped traffic?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wertyu78
01-25-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm selling my Gopro and buying a dash cam

Sent from my iPhone

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 08:35 AM
It's a pretty sweet setup.

damonchoy
01-25-2014, 10:08 AM
He leaves it on when he parks for evidence of wrong doings against his beloved. Also has it to make videos such as this.

Anyone have a link to the CA video when the Benz rolled back into that guy in stopped traffic?

^ This! Precisely why I have a dash cam. Makes me feel a lot better about parking my car in the mayhem that is my school parking lot.

Johnmadd
01-25-2014, 10:15 AM
That guy is an idiot.

ELCID86
01-25-2014, 10:32 AM
You sure are getting different feedback on e46f.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1022559

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

midlandtech
01-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Why would anyone waste time on that forum

taptalk + Note 3

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Thread is closed. Ours is still open.

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Quick question though. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Even though the speed limit is X, shouldn't one drive x-y in poor road conditions?

We're not going to give you shit or berate you for sure, but my initial reaction to your video was that you needed to slow down.

I know you were comfortable with your speed. Got it. But when you pass people like that it causes them to freak out, and causes bro trucks to go on the prowl :)

I'm definitely not condoning what the truck did, but I care too much about you (and others on the forum) to give you a complete pass on this.

ELCID86
01-25-2014, 12:16 PM
It is situationally dependent. I know that when it rains heavily, ppl tend to slow in the right lane. I usually feel comfortable in the left lane going a a tad bit faster.

cakM3
01-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I saw that video and won't comment on whether or not you guys were driving too fast. I tend to drive fast myself but after looking at that video and reading Dane's comment I can see how chillin' and riding the slow lane will avoid a lot of the "bro truck" mentality that occasionally occur on the roads. I think this is a good reality-check for all of us :thumbsup

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
It is situationally dependent. I know that when it rains heavily, ppl tend to slow in the right lane. I usually feel comfortable in the left lane going a a tad bit faster.

Right. Situationally dependant = weather conditions are other than ideal = one should slow down a tad.

midlandtech
01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Right. Situationally dependant = weather conditions are other than ideal = one should slow down a tad.

This could be true and for a lot of us it certainly would be but.. if a driver is familiar with those types of conditions on that particular road with their car and feels confident in their ability I don't see a problem doing the limit or close to it. I know In my personal experience there have been times where both circumstances were true for me

taptalk + Note 3

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 12:39 PM
This could be true and for a lot of us it certainly would be but.. if a driver is familiar with those types of conditions on that particular road with their car and feels confident in their ability I don't see a problem doing the limit or close to it. I know In my personal experience there have been times where both circumstances were true for me

taptalk + Note 3

Right. I understand that. I'm not debating that.

What I hear us a lot of "me, me, me", and not much about the other driver.

That's all.

midlandtech
01-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Ah I see your point

taptalk + Note 3

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Another way to look at it, is under ideal conditions, driving the speed limit (slightly over), most of us would agree, that we can handle, unexpected bullshit other drivers pull.

In those conditions (in the video) had that truck caught an edge, and actually blocked traffic would anyone be able to slow down at that speed?

It's the unexpected that really Fucks you on roads like that.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Another way to look at it, is under ideal conditions, driving the speed limit (slightly over), most of us would agree, that we can handle, unexpected bullshit other drivers pull.

In those conditions (in the video) had that truck caught an edge, and actually blocked traffic would anyone be able to slow down at that speed?

It's the unexpected that really Fucks you on roads like that.

Disclaimer: I've never driven in snow conditions. I agree 100%, though.

However, we have had heavy rain in the past, and even though my ZHP could handle it, I always tried to keep it slow because of other drivers. Can my car handle the speed in the rain? Sure. Hell, I could probably do 100mph in the rain if the roads were empty, and I was stupid enough to do so. What makes going faster than traffic in bad conditions a very bad idea is the fact that you won't be able to react fast enough. If one of the cars next to you lost traffic and veered left, you are done for. There is nothing you can do at that speed. You won't be able to brake fast enough, and if you turn too hard you'd lose traction yourself.

Can your car handle it? Sure. But it is far safer for traffic collectively if you match their speed.

That's how I feel.

Au1994
01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Guy was a db no doubt especially in those road and weather conditions. I hit 2 spots on my commute where 2 lanes merge to 1 and it amazes me how many people force themselves in at the last minute.

az3579
01-25-2014, 04:26 PM
These are my personal feelings on the subject. You probably won't see it the same way, so we'll just go with "agree to disagree". Here we go...

taptalk + Note 3

As long as they stay to the right, this is not a problem. Just because the person in front of you isn't confident with their driving and their car doesn't mean they should impede your progress, so they should stay to the right.

I know you were comfortable with your speed. Got it. But when you pass people like that it causes them to freak out, and causes bro trucks to go on the prowl

If they're in the right lane and get passed by someone going a little faster than them, there is no reason to get panicked. If something like that panics someone, that person should not be driving. Driving is a no joke affair; if they get panicked by getting passed by someone, they really don't belong on the road. In this regard, this goes both ways; the passer is panicking someone. The person getting passed is panicking. Which is the bigger problem? Not passing that person doesn't solve the problem, and chances are they're going to get panicked by something else. If there is an accident to be had, it's going to happen anyway because the root cause of the problem is not fixed. So, why hold up the person who is confident with their driving and their car? (Keep in mind, confident, not cocky. There is a difference. The cocky ones are the ones that go way too fast for the conditions and would have no control over the car if something was to happen, bro truck in this example.)

All this being said, I do not think it is reasonable to be going 120km/h in the example above. I am in 100% agreement that the speed the OP was going was perfectly reasonable as he has maintained an excellent distance in front of him allowing for time to react to what could have been a disastrous event with that bro truck. He has a firm understanding of what his car is doing and is going a speed that corresponds to that understanding.

danewilson77
01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
:facepalm

Ok.

Hey, you flash police officers in front of you correct?

I keed, I keed. We're not gonna see eye to eye on this one, and that's OK.

Just don't want to lose someone the hard way.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 04:59 PM
I get a fuzzy feeling every time people are able to disagree peacefully. Should be something all adults do, but alas, it is so rarely seen. I was laughing after I heard this thread was closed already at E46F. What a joke.

:wub this place.

az3579
01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Hey, you flash police officers in front of you correct?

I keed, I keed.

Not touching this.
Whole 'nother story. :biggrin

damonchoy
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM

That thread got locked, haha. I really wanted to see that guy's reply to what I'd said, so I'm rather disappointed.

Quick question though. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Even though the speed limit is X, shouldn't one drive x-y in poor road conditions?

We're not going to give you shit or berate you for sure, but my initial reaction to your video was that you needed to slow down.

I know you were comfortable with your speed. Got it. But when you pass people like that it causes them to freak out, and causes bro trucks to go on the prowl :)

I'm definitely not condoning what the truck did, but I care too much about you (and others on the forum) to give you a complete pass on this.

See, if he'd brought it up like this I'd be a happy camper.

As for your question, I wasn't driving 80km/h "because it's the limit and I can travel the limit!" I was traveling 80km/h because that's where I felt comfortable driving in those conditions on that particular road.

I'd driven that particular stretch 50+ times, I normally leave the cruise on at 97km/h and would be comfortable going considerably faster if it weren't for the possibility of receiving a speeding ticket. Given the conditions, I only felt comfortable at 80km/h without cruise control on (don't want it slipping while I can't control it!) which also happened to be the speed limit on the road.

The video gives the illusion that I'm the fastest car on the road. The part the video shows is where we just exited a 50km/h zone and entered an 80km/h zone. Most of traffic hadn't sped up yet. What the video doesn't show is the rest of the 160km drive where I don't recall overtaking even one more car. After this line of slow-moving vehicles, every other vehicle I encountered was traveling at or above the speed limit. It also doesn't help that it has an ultra-wide angle lens, giving the illusion of speed.

danewilson77
01-26-2014, 01:48 AM
Sounds good Damon.

3ZHPGUY
01-26-2014, 05:13 PM
I know I'm way late on this but I've been really busy.

Reminds me of a ride 10+ years ago when I would make multiple drives across I-90 between Cleveland, OH and Buffalo, NY. In the middle of those two cities lies Erie, PA, that has to be one of the worst snow cities in the nation resulting from Lake Erie snow effect.

On this particular trip, we were heading west back to Ohio and when we neared Erie, PA the snow was upon us. Had the kids with us so, I was probably driving my wife's Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand AM "shit in snow". Anyway, the snow started accumulating and the road was turning white. I'm keeping a good distance from the cars in front of me and watching the rear view mirror, where I see headlights gaining on be rapidly. With several hundred yards in front of me before the next car, I back off the gas and just let it cost. The mopar K -Car flies past me and I watch as he gets near the traffic in front of me. Nope, he can't handle it and starts to dance, now he's in the median, one 360, one 180 and he's makes it back on the highway heading east.

With the roads getting crappy, we stop at our usual truck stop for relief and snacks for the long ride in front of us. Back on the highway again, running between 30-40 mph. Sometimes, even slower because conditions are too bad to pass. After an other hour + we get to the Ohio state line, and what do I see? Yep the same mopar K-Car, in the ditch to the right pointing nearly straight up. I honked, flashed my lights and waved on my way past.

Some people just don't learn. :)

az3579
01-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Some people just don't learn. :)

You can't fix stupid.

Avetiso
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
You can't fix stupid.

We should fix them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

az3579
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
We should fix them.

You'd be wasting your time.

RITmusic2k
01-27-2014, 11:01 AM
I think he means 'fixed' in the sense of "Remember to spay or neuter your pets".

Avetiso
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I think he means 'fixed' in the sense of "Remember to spay or neuter your pets".

Yup. :)

ryankokesh
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
What kind of dashcam are you using?

WOLFN8TR
01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Living out west we hardly ever see weather like that. When I watched the video I thought everyone seemed to be going a bit fast for those conditions. For reasons unknown "Bro Truck" decided to tailgate you and you did the right thing by moving over and letting the idiot pass and for not attempting to race him in those conditions. What the Hell was he thinking trying to race someone at night in those conditions! Could you imagine seeing that moron loosing control and plowing into a vehicle full of people head on? The best part is it would of all been on video!

M0nk3y
01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
You never brake in a skid like that, because you end up tank slapping the car.

Bird-Dog
01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Living out west we hardly ever see weather like that. When I watched the video I thought everyone seemed to be going a bit fast for those conditions. For reasons unknown "Bro Truck" decided to tailgate you and you did the right thing by moving over and letting the idiot pass and for not attempting to race him in those conditions. What the Hell was he thinking trying to race someone at night in those conditions! Could you imagine seeing that moron loosing control and plowing into a vehicle full of people head on? The best part is it would of all been on video!
Agree all around.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt. I'm down South, but have spent much time up North for business. It never ceased to amaze me how many 4x4 SUV's I'd see doing 80 MPH on icy highways... and how many consequently ended up crashed by the roadside (ofttimes upside-down - LOL). The fools all seemed to think AWD gave their tires some magic high-speed grip in addition to low speed traction... as in "I don't need snow tires, I have 4x4!"

ryankokesh
01-28-2014, 03:05 PM
You never brake in a skid like that, because you end up tank slapping the car.

Tank slapping?

M0nk3y
01-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Tank slapping?

Or called fish tail.

Typically when a car goes into a skid, you either brake or go to correct and then the car ends up over correcting and you get to see the rear end come around the other way. The gas sloshes around, and typically called tank slap (although from what I see...tank slap is the term for a bike?)

here is a quick youtube search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sjh96jYOk

RITmusic2k
01-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah, tank slapper typically means something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2Pptpbnp0

wsmeyer
01-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah, tank slapper typically means something like this:

Yeah and you need to hit the gas to get out of it not slow down lol

damonchoy
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
What kind of dashcam are you using?

DVR-007 from eBay. $70 or something and works flawlessly.

Everything you could want in a dashcam... powered by cigarette lighter, I can leave it on when I park, is also battery powered so I can take it out to record after an accident or something, has a nice wide angle, provides decent quality, mount is good and sturdy, loop recording (overwrites old footage by itself).

Love it.

ryankokesh
01-29-2014, 05:05 PM
DVR-007 from eBay. $70 or something and works flawlessly.

Everything you could want in a dashcam... powered by cigarette lighter, I can leave it on when I park, is also battery powered so I can take it out to record after an accident or something, has a nice wide angle, provides decent quality, mount is good and sturdy, loop recording (overwrites old footage by itself).

Love it.

Nice! Gonna have to look into that. How does it work when you park? Just constantly recording, or does it do some kind of motion detection or something?

Sent from my iPhone

M0nk3y
01-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Finally found the video I was looking for.

Tip: DO NOT BRAKE IN A SKID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGTYFE927Q

ryankokesh
01-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Is it someone's job to just constantly be filming this highway? :twitch

So, the idea is that if you brake in a skid you're going to be locking the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone

M0nk3y
01-29-2014, 06:31 PM

So, the idea is that if you brake in a skid you're going to be locking the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone

Exactly, you lock the wheels and you're hopeless.

If anything you should power into the skid.

az3579
01-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Watching that video nearly made me bust out laughing. It was hilarious watching those people trying to evade hitting the wall. A couple of them got lucky. There was only ONE person I saw that entire video that actually stayed pretty straight skillfully, the one guy that caught the skid almost immediately and stayed off the brake. This further reinforces that our driver training is severely lacking.

Sent from my iPhone

When you're skidding at that level, all the weight of the car is pushing in the direction the car was moving previously. If your tires are sideways, then there is absolutely nothing they can do as they have already far exceeded their maximum grip. Therefore, since the wheels have no traction whatsoever at that point, introducing the brake would cause them to lose any chance of recovering grip as there is an additional force being applied to something (the tires) that's already maxxed out.

If you power into it with a rear-wheel-drive car while applying the proper opposite lock, the rear wheels will straighten the car out as long as your slip angle isn't too great. Once the car starts to recover, you need to properly modulate the throttle as well as immediately provide the proper steering corrections so that you don't overcorrect. If you overcorrect, the car will snap around and you'll be going the opposite way just as sideways (if not, more sideways), effectively fishtailing back and forth. Overcorrecting is how I once hit a curb on a sandy uphill left-downhill turn in my E30 a long time ago. The steering was too long of a ratio for me to be able to turn the wheel fast enough to correct the overcorrection. :(

ryankokesh
01-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Watching that video nearly made me bust out laughing. It was hilarious watching those people trying to evade hitting the wall. A couple of them got lucky. There was only ONE person I saw that entire video that actually stayed pretty straight skillfully, the one guy that caught the skid almost immediately and stayed off the brake. This further reinforces that our driver training is severely lacking.

When you're skidding at that level, all the weight of the car is pushing in the direction the car was moving previously. If your tires are sideways, then there is absolutely nothing they can do as they have already far exceeded their maximum grip. Therefore, since the wheels have no traction whatsoever at that point, introducing the brake would cause them to lose any chance of recovering grip as there is an additional force being applied to something (the tires) that's already maxxed out.

If you power into it with a rear-wheel-drive car while applying the proper opposite lock, the rear wheels will straighten the car out as long as your slip angle isn't too great. Once the car starts to recover, you need to properly modulate the throttle as well as immediately provide the proper steering corrections so that you don't overcorrect. If you overcorrect, the car will snap around and you'll be going the opposite way just as sideways (if not, more sideways), effectively fishtailing back and forth. Overcorrecting is how I once hit a curb on a sandy uphill left-downhill turn in my E30 a long time ago. The steering was too long of a ratio for me to be able to turn the wheel fast enough to correct the overcorrection. :(

I feel like I might know how to do this in practice, but a good 60% of what you just said was way over my head.

Sent from my iPhone

LivesNearCostco
01-29-2014, 11:39 PM
OP/Damon: I don't live where it snows and have driven in snow only a few times (most recently sliding around an empty parking lot near Boston in a rental Mustang V6). So you're surely more skilled than I am at driving in ice conditions. But I believe you were driving too fast for the conditions. It's not that you couldn't control your car in those conditions--you seem to have it all under control between your winter tires and your skills. It's that you were going too fast to deal with other drivers' mistakes. Forget the bro truck passing you in the same direction, what if one of the slower drivers you were passing lost control or suddenly pulled into the left lane? Or worse bro truck was coming the other way and lost it enough to cross the center line? If you and an oncoming car are both doing 40mph and hit head on, you could easily die or be crippled for life, even with the airbags and 3-point seat belts. If you're both doing 25 or 30 mph (whatever that is in kph), you have a pretty high chance of surviving a head-on crash with a similar weight car.

Going slower gives you more time to avoid a situation and reduces the risk of injury if you do crash. Of course going slower can also be boring and frustrating. With no other cars around I'm sure you could have gone even faster in that weather and maintained control just fine. But you have to drive in a way that gives you enough time to deal with likely mistakes of others considering both road and traffic conditions.

BTW, here's video of me doing what the bro truck did, but on a dry road, and then later doing worse and actually spinning 180 (but not 360) degrees. See fishtailing at 8:15 and half spin at 19:25. In my case I think the mistake was lifting off the gas in the middle of a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVe4Rz7gA1s

damonchoy
02-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Nice! Gonna have to look into that. How does it work when you park? Just constantly recording, or does it do some kind of motion detection or something?

Sent from my iPhone

It supposedly does have motion detection although I've never used it. I just leave it on the entire time I park. My E36 and E46 leave power on constantly. The idea is that the camera comes on by itself when it receives power and will also turn off by itself when it loses power, but because our cars have constant power I just turn the camera on/off manually when I choose to. On when I drive out of the garage, off when I come back to the safety of my garage. Everywhere else, it's left on. I always back into parking spots not only because it makes it easier to exit but also so that my camera can see everything while I'm parked!

OP/Damon: I don't live where it snows and have driven in snow only a few times (most recently sliding around an empty parking lot near Boston in a rental Mustang V6). So you're surely more skilled than I am at driving in ice conditions. But I believe you were driving too fast for the conditions. It's not that you couldn't control your car in those conditions--you seem to have it all under control between your winter tires and your skills. It's that you were going too fast to deal with other drivers' mistakes. Forget the bro truck passing you in the same direction, what if one of the slower drivers you were passing lost control or suddenly pulled into the left lane? Or worse bro truck was coming the other way and lost it enough to cross the center line? If you and an oncoming car are both doing 40mph and hit head on, you could easily die or be crippled for life, even with the airbags and 3-point seat belts. If you're both doing 25 or 30 mph (whatever that is in kph), you have a pretty high chance of surviving a head-on crash with a similar weight car.

Going slower gives you more time to avoid a situation and reduces the risk of injury if you do crash. Of course going slower can also be boring and frustrating. With no other cars around I'm sure you could have gone even faster in that weather and maintained control just fine. But you have to drive in a way that gives you enough time to deal with likely mistakes of others considering both road and traffic conditions.

BTW, here's video of me doing what the bro truck did, but on a dry road, and then later doing worse and actually spinning 180 (but not 360) degrees. See fishtailing at 8:15 and half spin at 19:25. In my case I think the mistake was lifting off the gas in the middle of a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVe4Rz7gA1s

I appreciate your concern, but I can assure you that I was driving at a safe speed for the conditions. The video REALLY does make it look like I'm traveling a lot faster. Try to focus on the trees and what not in the distance rather than the road immediately in front and the trees on the side to judge my speed. It's very distorted because of the ultra wide-angle lens.

When no one was near me, I tested to see if at those speeds I could still successfully perform evasive maneuvers (as I try to do occasionally in various conditions so I can learn) and the answer was yes. I was satisfied with the results and comfortable as well as confident that at those speeds.

az3579
02-01-2014, 07:52 AM
So now that the subject of whether Damon was going too fast has been beaten to death already, could we please move on? :p