PDA

View Full Version : PPI Report Opinions

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 06:45 AM
I currently own a 97 M3 so some of this stuff is common between the two, but I would like opinions about the results of the PPI'S.
dark brake fluid
Air box seal distorted
Oil filter housing gasket leaks
VANOS oil line damp w/ oil
Original coolant system (new thermostat)
Crankcase breather pulls 5 inches
Rear shocks damp w/ oil
Diff mount bushing is cracked
FCABs weak, but OK
Rt Front and left rear door vapors barriers show signs of leakage
Battery made 32/10
Needs new rear tires and all 4 rims have flat spots

Some of this is basic stuff for car with just under100k miles, but I know not all of it is easy to remedy (ie. diff bushing)
I just went through full front and rear suspension rebuild on my car in the past year and I am not jumping to do it again.
As I am new to ZHPs just curious if any of these are red flags.
Thanks in advance.

Avetiso
01-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Most of this stuff is pretty normal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jakksfor20
01-30-2014, 08:16 AM
This is the only one that concerns me, "all 4 rims have flat spots"

Other than that, it's all DIY stuff. The suspension could wait. I found the diff bushings fairly easy to do actually.....

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 08:41 AM
This is the only one that concerns me, "all 4 rims have flat spots"

Other than that, it's all DIY stuff. The suspension could wait. I found the diff bushings fairly easy to do actually.....

I asked specifically about the rims being bent and he said it is slight and could def. be straightened and there was no balance issue on the test drive, but it caught my eye too. It also had 2 codes for left and right rear wheel speed sensors, but no ABS/DSC warning lights so he said they could be "phantom". Overall I am pretty pleased and will probably make an offer.

derbo
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
That is a lot of things to take care of and hopefully it takes the price down! :)

ELCID86
01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
That is a lot of things to take care of and hopefully it takes the price down! :)
+1 negotiate! Glad the wheels will balance, but a bit worrisome.

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
In general, are these wheels pretty stout? Is it that surprising? I have certainly bent wheels in the past, but have had my DS2's in DD service for 8 years and they are straight as an arrow. Thanks again for the responses.

Vas
01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Pretty normal stuff on the list.

As far as the wheels, they do bend or develop hairline cracks.

Current asking price of the car?

brettbimmer
01-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Pretty normal stuff on the list.

As far as the wheels, they do bend or develop hairline cracks.

Current asking price of the car?

X2. Had two of mine straightened a couple years ago in Millersville, MD. 18" wheel has less cushion then the standard 17" on the E36 M3s. Perhaps that adds a little bit of protection.

az3579
01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
If you don't do your own work, there's a few grand's worth of things to fix there. Personally I don't like the state of that inspection at all.
There is no reason for the door vapor barriers to be leaking, for example. I'd move on and fine another one, honestly.

Just a quick estimation of pricing to fix at a shop:
Full suspension refresh as what it has now sounds like it's completely shot: from a grand to a few grand, depending on what you replace it with
Rear diff bushing and RTABS if you decide to do them: over a grand
All of the oil leaks in the engine bay will most likely run you close to a grand with labor... maybe half that, depends on the shop.
Fix rims and new rear tires: looking at about $500 if you get good quality tires
An entire cooling system if you get Genuine BMW parts is going to cost between $500-800 if you buy replacements for everything in the system, plus labor
I don't feel that I need to go on...

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
If you don't do your own work, there's a few grand's worth of things to fix there. Personally I don't like the state of that inspection at all.
There is no reason for the door vapor barriers to be leaking, for example. I'd move on and fine another one, honestly.

Full suspension refresh as what it has now sounds like it's completely shot: from a grand to a few grand, depending on what you replace it with
All of the oil leaks in the engine bay will most likely run you close to a grand with labor... maybe half that, depends on the shop.
Fix rims and new rear tires: looking at about $500 if you get good quality tires
An entire cooling system if you get Genuine BMW parts is going to cost between $500-800 if you buy replacements for everything in the system, plus labor

Understood. I wasn't sure what would cause issues with the vapor barriers, or even what to look for to determine they may have been compromised. I don't mind doing the front end suspension and cooling work myself as I have done it on my E36 before. Never done an oil filter housing gasket but am not scared. Even RTABs aren't bothersome to me. It gets daunting when you talk about rear wheel bearings and diff/subframe bushings. Current asking price is $14k. It is just at an odd age where not alot has been addressed due to its mileage, but should be in the next year.

derbo
01-30-2014, 11:25 AM

-Door Vapors to be leaking is usually a poor job resealing it if they did a window regulator. The snap grommets without seal over them can cause leaks too. I had a poor job done by the previous tech (different dealership) and I had my tech redo the whole vapor barrier gummy stuff cause it was so fubared.

Totally agree with the rest of the stuff. It's a lot of TLC to get it back into good order but it's not too bad if you do your own work. The only way I get this car is if the price was a steal.

Dave1027
01-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Crankcase breather pulls 5 inches

What is meant by this? What breather? If 5 inches is wrong what is the correct spec?

alexandre
01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
-Door Vapors to be leaking is usually a poor job resealing it if they did a window regulator. The snap grommets without seal over them can cause leaks too. I had a poor job done by the previous tech (different dealership) and I had my tech redo the whole vapor barrier gummy stuff cause it was so fubared.

Exactly. Resealing is tough... If it's torn, here's what you need to replace:

FR - 51487114714 (barrier)
RL - 51488196127 (barrier)

And a half-roll of 3M window-weld - www.amazon.com/dp/B0039752R2 - per door.

I just replaced my entire rear suspension with OEM parts (not genuine BMW, but OEM manufacturers) - shocks are $75 each, mounts $15 each, with all new hardware, shipping, about $300 in total.

Personally I would get a full quote for everything, and use it to bring the asking price down a few grand. Spend a few weekends addressing everything and you'll have a great car.

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Totally agree with the rest of the stuff. It's a lot of TLC to get it back into good order but it's not too bad if you do your own work. The only way I get this car is if the price was a steal.

What are the symptoms and consequences of torn barriers? I am not familiar with these at all.

Vas
01-30-2014, 02:13 PM
$14k is on the high side. I paid that much for a car that had a binder full of records.

alexandre
01-30-2014, 02:33 PM
What are the symptoms and consequences of torn barriers? I am not familiar with these at all.

Water on the carpets after heavy rain. Not too big a deal really. I know mine aren't perfect and haven't had any issues, but there's not much rain in my area.

Don't let this deter you. It's like 8 screws/bolts in total to pull everything you need out to replace them.

Indvdl M
01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
$14k is on the high side. I paid that much for a car that had a binder full of records.

He has a binder, it just isn't very thick. Mechanical maintenance (i.e. fluids, tires, brakes etc.) is well documented, there just wasn't much preventative maintenance completed other than the T-Stat.

jakksfor20
01-30-2014, 03:05 PM
We paid $14k for our 2004 sedan in late '12 with just shy of 80k miles. Had a history of maintenance based on the carfax since it was all done at the dealer. The only thing I've HAD to do was an idler pulley and the OFHG, CCV. It's in real good condition cosmetically too.

derbo
01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Exactly. Resealing is tough... If it's torn, here's what you need to replace:

FR - 51487114714 (barrier)
RL - 51488196127 (barrier)

And a half-roll of 3M window-weld - www.amazon.com/dp/B0039752R2 - per door.

I just replaced my entire rear suspension with OEM parts (not genuine BMW, but OEM manufacturers) - shocks are $75 each, mounts $15 each, with all new hardware, shipping, about $300 in total.

Personally I would get a full quote for everything, and use it to bring the asking price down a few grand. Spend a few weekends addressing everything and you'll have a great car.

Dont forget these!

51418224768 Clip with seal ring. Those little black seal rings fall off alot and common reason there is a slight leak even with a proper vapor barrier seal.

It's a pain to remove the old window weld if its relatively old.

alexandre
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Dont forget these!

51418224768 Clip with seal ring. Those little black seal rings fall off alot and common reason there is a slight leak even with a proper vapor barrier seal.

It's a pain to remove the old window weld if its relatively old.

Good point. Buy twice what you need, they break all the freaking time...

iP4S + TT2

Indvdl M
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Pulled the trigger after some negotiation. Will complete the exchange next weekend. Thanks for everyone's input and I will post picks once it arrives.

jakksfor20
02-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Two thumbs after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Pulled the trigger after some negotiation. Will complete the exchange next weekend. Thanks for everyone's input and I will post picks once it arrives.

Super.